PDA

View Full Version : Why still posting on bimmer.org?

jastevenson
12-24-2001, 02:13 AM
So why are people still posting on bimmer.org? The site was nice while it lasted, but this board is better in every way. Yet I see a lot of people who are on here still posting over there. It's annoying 'cause I have to check both boards. Why not just commit 100% to this board?

Alex Baumann
12-24-2001, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by jastevenson
So why are people still posting on bimmer.org?

umm, why not?

Merry X-Mas

Alex

jastevenson
12-24-2001, 02:34 AM
There are advantages in consolidation of posts. According to Metcalfe's law, the community value of a network grows as the square of the number of its users increase (correct me if I screwed up the definition, comp sci types).

Alex Baumann
12-24-2001, 02:39 AM
the community value of a network grows as the square of the number of its users increase

LOL! That's a good one.

Alex

jw
12-24-2001, 07:27 AM
Why still posting on bimmer.org?

Cuz it's there.

LilEccentricJ
12-24-2001, 08:30 AM
So why are people still posting on bimmer.org? The site was nice while it lasted, but this board is better in every way. Yet I see a lot of people who are on here still posting over there. It's annoying 'cause I have to check both boards. Why not just commit 100% to this board?

To answer your question from my point of view, it is not about which board is better by appearance or features, rather who it is that I am communicating with and despite the disadvantages of .org (of which I won't go into here) there are still nice people who are looking for real and helpful answers to their questions. This board took off on the 19th, not because the grass was greener over here, no it was because there was a lack of censorship and the freedom to communicate the way boards were originally meant before the proliferation of spammers and trolls. We’re here, at least I have to believe, to help one another, learn from HACK’s… umm, our mistakes and to make our BMW ownership a more substantial and rewarding part of our lives. What I see, despite the perception of “better”, is that there are “like” people on both boards with whom I choose to communicate and offer knowledge where I can.

Prior to my addition of frequency to bimmerfest, I only read and posted at .org, not because of the interface or features but because of the people, many of whom are posting here. I would say that anyone who agrees with the Fest’s motto, “Bringing the BMW community together” could not forsake the “other” board causing division, but rather would offer assistance to both. However, you don't HAVE to check both boards, you can pick ONE for yourself.