PDA

View Full Version : New X3 owner question - X3 vs. X5

PaddysPub
10-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Hello all. I am a new X3 owner (2006 CPO X3 titanium silver) and I love the car! I know this is the X5 sub forum but I had a question pertaining to what you all think about the differences between the two.

I am a projected long term owner (4 to 5 years) of my new (to me) X3 and I am anticipating a great experience and being a repeat BMW customer. Perhaps my next purchase would be stepped up to the X5.

I don't necessarily think one is better than the other I think both would have their own pros and cons and that ultimately it comes down to personal preference and what you are looking for in a vehicle.

Any and all commets welcomed. :thumbup:

jpalmer51
10-20-2007, 10:47 AM
We went from an X3 3.0i(05) to an X5 3.0si(08)

I found the X3 funner to drive, I can feel the extra size being in the X5. I find the transmission is not as aggresive and makes the car feel under powered. I kindof wish I went up to the V8.

Luxury is night and day, the interior is much nicer then my X3. I like things from both vehicles. I think which ever one you chose you will enjoy.

UncleJ
10-20-2007, 06:42 PM
jp, I have an '06 non sport X3 and while I like the car a lot, my wife hates the way it rides over the expansion joints, pot holes, and otherwise nasty roads. As one who has experienced both vehicles, how much better does the new X5 ride over these things, as opposed to your old X3? I would love to keep the X3. the size and performance is just perfect for me, but I am getting tired of defending its harsh ride to she who must be obeyed.

dgboggs
10-26-2007, 02:57 PM
I had an '06 X3 for about a year, and now I have an '05 X5. The 3 was a little more fun to drive, to me. It was so nimble and quick. I LOVED the looks of it. The interior left a little to be desired. The interior of the X5 is SO nice- beautiful, luxurious, comfy, and so many amenities. I put BMW 20's on it, and now it looks fantastic.

Last time I was at the dealer, I had them install the 20's, and so they let me have my 3 back as a loaner for the day. I really did miss it, and it was fun to drive again, but then when I got back into the 5, it all kind of went away. The 5 is rougher on gas (17 avg) than the 3 (20 avg). The 5 is a nicer and smoother ride, and while the handling is very good, it is not nimble. The 3 was so easy to drive, and it cornered like a sporty sedan.

In some ways I really miss my 3, but I wouldn't give up my 5 to go back to it.