PDA

View Full Version : 2002 X5 Instrument Light Problem

Bassethound
10-21-2007, 03:26 PM
HELP! I took my instrument cluster out of my 2002 X5 to put guage rings in it yesterday. Everything went fine, so I thought, until I put the unit back in and connected it. Now the LED display is not lit where the odometer, trip, and temp is located. I switched the instrument bulbs from the computer display (bottom) to the top, but they still won't light.

Any suggestions where I can look next?

FYI, I can see the odometer, trip and temp from the ambient light from the bottom panel of the LCD if I looke very closely so this is not a pixel problem.

Thanks.

Hogie
10-21-2007, 05:02 PM
I would just check the connectors agains. You may want to disconnect the battery first, then reconnect. If this doesn't clear the problem, remove the display ( battery disconnected) and check the connectors. Replug, connect the battery and test.

Bassethound
10-22-2007, 05:44 AM
Thanks. I'll try disconnecting the battery tonight and report back.

Bassethound
10-22-2007, 04:05 PM
Disconnected the battery and checked connectors this evening but still cannot see the odometer line of the LCD unless I turn the intesity all the way up and then I can faintly see them.

Any other things I can try?

Thanks for your help.

Hogie
10-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Not sure. I did the VDO rings last week and posted when I was done. It was straight forward. I can't see how this could have caused a problem. In my case, 2005 X5, I had to separate the back of the guages from the from lens by turning plastic tabs to loosen.

It is possible that in the assembly that you are missing some contacts that provide either ground or Vdc to the bulbs in questions.

Maybe some one else can post, but I still say repeat the steps and look for items that are not making contact, etc. I would hate to think that the rings caused a problem.

you may even want to remove the rings and re-assemble just in case the rings are causing some pressure.

Good Luck.

Bassethound
10-23-2007, 06:44 AM
Hogie, I sure appreciate your help on this. This weekend, I'll try taking it all apart again. I did connect the instrument cluster without the rings and still had the problem, so I doubt it is the rings.

I may have jarred something loose when I was taking the cluster apart to get the rings in.

How do I find out which pin on the connector controls the LCD backlighting?

Zulu95
10-24-2007, 05:13 AM
Check the x5world home page articles for the gauge cluster "repair" posting. It may help you in this occasion.