PDA

View Full Version : 35 deg F in FL & washed my car on Sat..

Edge/330ci
12-24-2001, 06:42 AM
I had to go visit my parents and show off my new car, so of course, I needed to wash her and toss on another coat of Z2.

The only problem was it was about 35 degrees outside at 7:30am Saturday. So, I put on some warm clothes and filled up my buckets.. and then I discovered something..

the freezing cold water coming from the hose actually felt warm.. Then I rembered seeing this episode of Mr. Wizard when I was like 8... somehow he caused water to boil with the heat from his finger.. anyway .. something about lowering boiling points by .. well .. I forgot the whole scenario.

The point is though, that when it's fk'n cold outside, the water coming from the house felt nice and warm.. almost bath-water like.. made washing the car not so bad.....

(just a post from a guy bored b/c he's having to 'work' on XMas eve..)

Alex Baumann
12-24-2001, 06:44 AM
Hehe, watch out the spells you put on your car the next time. It may become an Audi or something :) (j/k)

Well, working on X-Mas eve is not fun but anyway I wish you Merry X-Mas.

Alex

hts
12-24-2001, 07:00 AM
hee hee.

Alex Baumann
12-24-2001, 07:05 AM
No, I'm not the one who's working, it's Edge. I'm at home.

Merry X-Mas to you too.

Alex from Hamburg

Patrick
12-25-2001, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Edge/330ci
The only problem was it was about 35 degrees outside at 7:30am Saturday. So, I put on some warm clothes and filled up my buckets.. and then I discovered something..

I am so jealous - of the ambient air temperature in FL! It is 12F here ... but I would love to be able to wash my car. That will have to wait until at least March :mad:

I drove home this afternoon from my in-laws (had Christmas there), and it was snowing and blowing ... The last stint of the drive, 50km or so, is on the highway (winter speed limit 100k/h). When we got home, the back of my Touring was covered with about 5cm of snow and ice. Looks like I have been on a safari in Lapland!

Anyway, enjoy 35F!:cool: :cool:

Patrick

Alex Baumann
12-25-2001, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by JPinTO
How are the gas prices there now?

Arrrgh, gas prices. Don't know how much it costs in Finnland, but one liter 95 octane is about DEM 1.92 here :(

Alex

Patrick
12-25-2001, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by JPinTO
Patrick 320d----

Got those studded winter tires on yet? Man those things are noisey.

[...]

How are the gas prices there now?

- JP

This is my first winter without studded snow tires ... and I am not liking it! I have normal, MS rated un-studded winter tires at the moment. I loved those studded tires on my other cars!

In HKI (Helsinki) where the roads are usually clean, even during snowy times, there is no use for studded snow tires. They just eat the asphalt and make noise! But on ice and snow they are a God send; grip and drivability. Anyway, it depends on the weather and the road conditions!

Right now, there is about 40cm of new, fresh, dry snow and it is (0330h) about -12C. However, I just came home from having a wild sauna party at friend's place (he drives a Ford Focus ...) and I think I will leave my driving worries until I can see something clearly. I am sure to have a real fun time cleaning the driveway in 4 hours so the relatives can make it here for Boxing Day ... misery me.

Gasoline prices? I drive a DIESEL! ;) They are about $5.00 a gallon for 98E (unleaded). BUT you can get 101 octane gasoline near here. Need that for my lawn mower actually ...

Happy 25 December.

Patrick

Patrick
12-25-2001, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Alex Baumann

Arrrgh, gas prices. Don't know how much it costs in Finnland, but one liter 95 octane is about DEM 1.92 here :(

Alex

That is (simple math)) 1.92 DEM X 3.05 (FIM/DEM) = 5.85 FIM per liter X 3.8 (liters per gallon) = 22.25 FIM per gallon, divided by 6.5 FIM/USD for a total of $3.40 a gallon --- did that make sense? German 95E is cheaper than in Finland ... by about $1.00 per gallon. We have 75% taxes on one liter of gas here (long live social welfare states ...).

Alex, what do you pay for 98E? Because I know you don't put 95E in your BMW!:)

Patrick