PDA

View Full Version : "Tires for Life"

ShelleyH
10-26-2007, 01:50 PM
What a nightmare experience in the "finance manager's" office picking up my new '08 X5 3.0. I already had the check from a credit union so he couldn't sell me financing. However, I talked to a friend who works in the BMW maintenance department and he recommended buying the tire warranty, which he thought was around $500. When I got to the fm office, the price was $1,195. I thought that was alot, but the guy kept saying that the tires and wheel were soooo expensive that we were making a mistake by not doing it. Then we got into the whole "tires for life" offer. Basically, a third party provider (not bmw) offers new tires every 35,000 miles for life at $3,195, but you need to rotate and balance the tires every 5,000 to 8,000 miles and get an annual alignment. I started getting scared and thinking about how much 08 X5 tires are going to cost. While I only got the stock tires and wheels (18 inch, with runflats), my intention was to switch to non-runflats after the first set of tires do to the ridiculously short tread life of runflats. Michelin makes a tire in the size and it has a normal tread life. Finally, after a bunch of negotiating, the guy reduced the price to $2,595 and the replacement interval to 25K miles. I then said yes, then paniced and said no. The guy was not happy. I just kept thinking that I have always been a big believer in never buying dealer warranties, add-ons etc. and I was going against my intuition. Plus, I was worried about the third party provider Millenium - who could just disappear. Did I make a bad decision?

TexasBMW
10-26-2007, 02:29 PM
This dealer added crap has so much profit margin, they get really excited about selling it. You did right. If they tried to sell it to you at such a "high" price, then "discounted" it. Just wrong. And very expensive. Take the $2600, invest it and you will do just fine paying for tires, and you won't have to do the silly things the "warranty" requires. Crazy. What dealer is this? They should be strung up for this behavior.

zen68
10-26-2007, 05:08 PM
ShelleyH,

If this is VOB BMW you're talking about then please let me know. I ordered mine three weeks ago and it was a pleasant experience with the CA (got $3000 off MSRP without any hassle so I think it's OK). However, I don't know what trick the FM will try. Hopefully, I'll come prepared.

ShelleyH
10-27-2007, 04:53 AM
Near Towson.....

MMME30W
10-27-2007, 05:03 AM
What a nightmare experience in the "finance manager's" office picking up my new '08 X5 3.0. I already had the check from a credit union so he couldn't sell me financing. However, I talked to a friend who works in the BMW maintenance department and he recommended buying the tire warranty, which he thought was around $500. When I got to the fm office, the price was $1,195. I thought that was alot, but the guy kept saying that the tires and wheel were soooo expensive that we were making a mistake by not doing it. Then we got into the whole "tires for life" offer. Basically, a third party provider (not bmw) offers new tires every 35,000 miles for life at $3,195, but you need to rotate and balance the tires every 5,000 to 8,000 miles and get an annual alignment. I started getting scared and thinking about how much 08 X5 tires are going to cost. While I only got the stock tires and wheels (18 inch, with runflats), my intention was to switch to non-runflats after the first set of tires do to the ridiculously short tread life of runflats. Michelin makes a tire in the size and it has a normal tread life. Finally, after a bunch of negotiating, the guy reduced the price to $2,595 and the replacement interval to 25K miles. I then said yes, then paniced and said no. The guy was not happy. I just kept thinking that I have always been a big believer in never buying dealer warranties, add-ons etc. and I was going against my intuition. Plus, I was worried about the third party provider Millenium - who could just disappear. Did I make a bad decision?

FWIW we paid exactly $500 for a five year tire and wheel warranty on our '07 X3 picked up in May. I thought this was a fair price.

Last week we had a nail in the tire near the sensor. The tire was replaced with a new one under the warranty, total cost $244, but n/c to us.

I personally would not do the "tire for life" because you have (apparently) no control about the quality/brand of the tires fitted.

FMs are in business to increase net profit on every deal. He is not your friend.

radel
11-05-2007, 08:31 PM
You did the right thing by refusing the over the roof cost of the Tire Warranty. However, I honestly think you should shop around for a Tire Warranty because it pays for itself. Try to get it cheaper than 500. I had one flat tire and it cost $354 but no cost to me.

brettnosse
11-22-2007, 12:14 AM
Cheaper to sell the X5 and trade it, thats whats dads rationing was to buy a New X5 This morning.....:confused: I personally think he need an excuse and first thing he thought of to tell my mom:D