PDA

View Full Version : still white smoke...

Dannyel
10-27-2007, 02:34 PM
01 X5 4.4 with 77k on it...yes it was overheated. After the headgasket was changed there was a sound which came from the second piston (passenger side) and smoke came out from the passanger exhaust everytime the engine was revved abruptely. My father and I changed the piston...put one in brand new...we managed to get the timing right but we were not sure on how tight to screw the gaskets...we used a torque wrench and we decided on 22 and then 2 more turns of 90 degrees thats what I found on a couple of forums...Everything was put back.

The car started about after 4 secs since the fuel and oil pumps were dried out...so after it started the sound went away...however there is white smoke coming out from the passenger exhaust. At first it was a lot...after keeping the car for about 1 hr. the smoke was much less dense.

We changed the oil along with the oil filter ..put in BMW syn 5w30 bough from the dealer.

When we removed the piston that was making noise....the block was scratched only on that piston. So we are really not sure why there is smoke coming out the back of it??

I would appreciate an opinion...the car is not loosing coolant and oil is a bit early to tell if it is loosing...

Our best guess is that it is in fact oil coming out from the exhaust since the the block is scratched and oil is deposited ..or maybe we did not tighten the headgasket hard enough.... ANY TAKES??

also the exhaust seems oily and there are drops of water behind it...

Andrew*Debbie
10-27-2007, 02:40 PM
White smoke is water. Blue smoke is oil. I'll assume you checked for a warped head.

Cracked block or cracked cyl head???

Dannyel
10-27-2007, 05:23 PM
at this point i could say cracked cyl. head....the block just has signs of overheating but it is not cracked...

brettnosse
11-22-2007, 01:17 AM
thought white smoke usually means turbo failure