PDA

View Full Version : Won't hold a charge

sweetrl
10-28-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm a new guy to the "party"..not to BMWs. Got a 02, X-5 3.0 that likes to kill the battery. I have had it in the shop three times....new alternator (750.00) and new battery.....left it for two days and it wouldn't mess up (not start).....bring it home and it will not start...I have really thought about if there was anything I was doing that would cause a constant or intermittant draw but can come up with anything....getting frustrated....any ideas???...P.S. the mechanic says he can't find a fault code nor can he find where it is draining electricity from the battery anywhere...last night before we went to bed, I heard the side view mirrors whirring and clicking and get this, the engine was off and been that way for hours.....I believe it's got to be something very simple...just can't figure it out. The only thing I did was change a bulb in the left rear (driver's side) but nothing else...by-the-way, the bulb is working.

HELP PLEASE
Sweetrl

sweetrl
11-13-2007, 06:09 PM
Hello again, this is Sweetrl. Earlier I posted the electrical problem here and got some good advice about what to do etc. Well it cost me approx. $1,000.00 but it appears to be fixed. New alternator (750.00), New Battery & Final Stage Resistor (367.00) Of the items replaced...the FSR probably was the most significant. At this point....as long as it is fixed (but, this is only two days of it working....I'll reserve judgement until after a week....I think I'll always carry my cables, charger & extension cord salted away somewhere because of this crap. The hard part is finding a working outlet in a garage...it can be done but you might have to be quite creative. I've even bought a little pocket device that tells you if the circuit on an outlet is wired right...it's how I tell if the outlet is "hot".
Please don't get me wrong....the mechanic I use (and will continue to use) is trying and is working with me....gave me the new battery and kept an open ticket until we reached some kind of possible corrective action. He said he had never seen one this goofy....e.g. dead battery in 3 1/2 hours; fan blowing 2 1/2 hrs after engine shutdown and dash switch shut completely off; side-view mirrors whirring & chattering by themselves; display on the dash frozen; will NOT set a code on any of it!!!???....I was beginning to look for an exorcist! BUT, and I have my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed so I don't mess this up....it's working so far.....like I said, let's wait a week....I'm still quite ticked at BMW for not fixing such a problem with their vehicles....I mean really ticked....almost ticked enough to get a pickup instead....but, I'm ticked not stupid so....let's wait a week and see!
Changed the FSR and so far....cherries jubilee!

HPIA4v2
11-14-2007, 06:23 AM
Hello again, this is Sweetrl. Earlier I posted the electrical problem here and got some good advice about what to do etc. Well it cost me approx. $1,000.00 but it appears to be fixed. New alternator (750.00), New Battery & Final Stage Resistor (367.00) Of the items replaced...the FSR probably was the most significant. At this point....as long as it is fixed (but, this is only two days of it working....I'll reserve judgement until after a week....I think I'll always carry my cables, charger & extension cord salted away somewhere because of this crap. The hard part is finding a working outlet in a garage...it can be done but you might have to be quite creative. I've even bought a little pocket device that tells you if the circuit on an outlet is wired right...it's how I tell if the outlet is "hot".
Please don't get me wrong....the mechanic I use (and will continue to use) is trying and is working with me....gave me the new battery and kept an open ticket until we reached some kind of possible corrective action. He said he had never seen one this goofy....e.g. dead battery in 3 1/2 hours; fan blowing 2 1/2 hrs after engine shutdown and dash switch shut completely off; side-view mirrors whirring & chattering by themselves; display on the dash frozen; will NOT set a code on any of it!!!???....I was beginning to look for an exorcist! BUT, and I have my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed so I don't mess this up....it's working so far.....like I said, let's wait a week....I'm still quite ticked at BMW for not fixing such a problem with their vehicles....I mean really ticked....almost ticked enough to get a pickup instead....but, I'm ticked not stupid so....let's wait a week and see!
Changed the FSR and so far....cherries jubilee!

Persistent paid off, good job.