PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have pics of e39 cloth interiors?

bmw325
03-24-2003, 06:38 PM
Preferably post 2002. I've seem 2001 and previous in person-- and remember the pattern being kind of ugly-- but I've since forgotten exactly what it looked like. BMW changed the cloth pattern on the e46 for the 2002 model year--so i'm kind of hoping that they did something similar on the e39. Regardless, if you have pics of any e39 interior please post!

nate
03-24-2003, 06:59 PM
build a 520i at www.bmw.co.uk

Patrick
03-24-2003, 11:46 PM
robg: I will answer your questions!! I have been on the road for a few days.

Here is an old pic of my interior (not very good) but I will take a new one once I get out and clean the inside!

Kaz
03-24-2003, 11:52 PM
Is that Cloth Jacquard? It looks 'shinier' than my Cloth Flock.

bmw325
03-25-2003, 08:04 AM
Kaz-

I did build my own on the gb site-- but the interior shots are really poor-- you can't make out the pattern at all.

Patrick-

Thanks! This is exactly the interior I'd want to get (black cloth, high gloss back trim) AND you have the manual climate control-- which i'll never be able to get but would die for. Unfortunately, the cloth is the same pattern that I remember from 2001-- it kind of has the slightly funky pattern-- but I guess I can live with it.

Patrick
03-25-2003, 08:09 AM
Damn ... I already drove the car into the garage for the night. Tomorrow when I am outside, I will snap a few more.

The pattern on the cloth is the same as my 2001 E46 was. I have no qualms with it.

I had automatic A/C in my 320d and sort of hated it. It was actually rarely set to auto - unless I wanted to chill some beer or dry my hair. :eeps:

Manual climate control is excellent. I am (so far) very pleased with it.

Patrick
03-25-2003, 08:11 AM
And (ahem) I hope that sometime, I will have a M wheel in there as well.

Hello, Germany? :eeps:

:bigpimp:

bmw325
03-25-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Patrick 520iAT

Yes, I would do that as well. Fortunately, I have the M wheel on my 325i-- so I could just carry it over (although i'd have to buy a new round airbag).

BTW, I test-drove a 530 over the weekend. Unfortunatley, it was a step-- and it kind of had the rubber-band sensation--like the engine would rev for a few seoncds and then the car would shoot forward. I was actually paying more attention to the steering and seat comfort. THe steering wasn't quite as solid-feeling as I'd remembered from my european 520 experiences (although the smooth highways of europe do wonders for the feel of a car).

I remember e39 seats being very comfortable-- but the car I drove had leather seats which have an annoying vertical seam in the middle of the backrest-- sort of detracts from the comfort of the seat. Now that you've owned your e39 for a while, do you find the seats to be more comfortable than the e46? Also, any regrets on not getting the sport suspension?

Alex Baumann
03-25-2003, 10:28 AM

Hey Patrick,

I have talked to the parts guy, unfortunately there's no chance to get the wheel with the airbag. They are refusing to give me the airbag, unless they do the installation themselves. :(

Patrick
03-25-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Alex Baumann
Hey Patrick,

I have talked to the parts guy, unfortunately there's no chance to get the wheel with the airbag. They are refusing to give me the airbag, unless they do the installation themselves. :(

Sounds like I better get the map out ... Where is Germany, anyway? :dunno:

:D

No worries! Thanks for checking.

I will have you!

Patrick
03-25-2003, 10:44 AM
I like the E39 seats much better than those in my two previous E46s. They seem bigger and there is more thigh support. The seat heaters are better as well.

I would have never ordered cow interior either. I love my cloth seats!

About the SS. I never considered it. I don't want this to be a sports car - I would have bought a 330iT if I would have wanted to keep the Touring but get something more sporty. I do like the handling of the 5er, especially the heavier feel through the steering wheel.

Once I get the Style 32 wheels (17"), and get rid of the winter tires, I will get a much better idea of how the car rides and drives. Spring has finally sprung. :bigpimp:

bmw325
03-25-2003, 01:43 PM
Sounds like I better get the map out ... Where is Germany, anyway? :dunno:

:D

No worries! Thanks for checking.

I will have you!

Patrick-

I'm sure you know this-- but just in case you don't-- that M wheel pic you posted is the wrong one. The 2001+ 5ers use the same M wheel as the 3 series and the M3.

Patrick
03-25-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by robg
Patrick-

I'm sure you know this-- but just in case you don't-- that M wheel pic you posted is the wrong one. The 2001+ 5ers use the same M wheel as the 3 series and the M3.

Strange. That is not what my parts guy told me! And I do not want that wheel; I want the one I posted a picture of!! :D

More calls tomorrow ... :(

Kaz
03-25-2003, 01:58 PM
You guys need guidance from Vince the steering wheel guru.

bmw325
03-25-2003, 02:09 PM
Strange. That is not what my parts guy told me! And I do not want that wheel; I want the one I posted a picture of!! :D

More calls tomorrow ... :(

Well, there's a possibility that it would bolt on properly-- but I think you'll find that the connectors for the airbags and the multifunction buttons are different. Also the Aibag in the pic is a gen I airbag, whereas the newer wheel uses a gen II "smart" airbag. I sort of like that old whee better myself-- but I really don't think you can use it on your e39-- atleast not w/ a working airbag.

Then again, I could've sworn that atleast someone (maybe Clem) has successfully used the gen II style sports wheel on his 99 323 which came a gen I airbag-- so maybe whatyou want to do is possible.