PDA

View Full Version : Rothenburg ODT Night Watchman Tour

etan92612
11-02-2007, 02:56 PM
Does anyone know if the Night Watchman tour is offered in English in January? I saw on the rothenburg.de website that there is a tour on Saturdays only but doesn't specify if it is in English. I've emailed their tourist info but have gotten no response. We're scheduled for delivery on Monday, January 7 so we'd need to make plans to be in Rothernburg on Saturday night if the tour is offered. I hear it's a must see.

Me530
11-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Its great. It'll be cold and possibly snowy in January. I don't recall there being a non-English tour when I did it deveral years ago. That town was so touristy they wouldn't have anybody show up if it was in German!!

RussellTom
11-02-2007, 07:47 PM
The 8:30PM tour was in English. It's great and well worth the 5(?) Euros. But it's 100% outside.. so dress warmly

mcg-doc
11-06-2007, 10:01 AM
We took this tour on our previous ED, 2 years ago. It was quite entertaining. If you have young kids with you, they will love it.

hammick
11-06-2007, 12:50 PM
The guy is very entertaining and well worth it. We did the 8:30 tour in English about a week ago.

Go to hell when you are done (you will get what I mean after the tour).

etan92612
11-07-2007, 10:04 PM
I read about Hell. Thanks for the great replies!

gesoffen
11-08-2007, 06:57 AM
Not an ED trip, but I took some friends on the Nightwatchman Tour a few years ago (their first trip to Germany). Knowing full well that Rothenburg o.d. Tauber was a toursit destination and the Nightwatchman Tour was part and parcel, it was entertaining enough to be well worth the 5Euro/person.
Although zur Höll was interesting in it own right, be aware that the Nightwatchman has a personal and/or financial arrangement with bar/restaurant to steer customers in that direction. Considering that parts of the building date to the 10th century, its still worth a visit for a drink or two.

hammick
11-08-2007, 04:20 PM
I figured he owned the place.

rdmtec
11-09-2007, 04:01 AM
I took the Nightwatchman Tour 2 weeks ago and the current charge is 6 Euros. Well worth it. With an estimated 70 people on the tour the Nightwatchman was making quite a good living. Keep in mind you're paying for an entertainer and not a tour guide.

I have one suggestion if you plan on eating in Hell after the tour. Book reservations either before the tour or while you're standing in front of the restaurant on your tour. The tour ran from 8pm to 9pm and I booked a 9 pm reservations and was quickly seated while others who just finished the tour waited around.

335i convertible, Space Gray

RoBMWED
11-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Not sure if this is on the same tour. But it is free.

CAUTION: Contains Humor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJA9RPX9mRY

and no 535d until MY09. This must be pergatory. :(

gmlav8r
11-09-2007, 07:49 PM
I don't know when the tour is anymore.

We did the Nightwatchman tour in 2005. We stayed at the hotel that used to be the mayors house about 600 years ago. The straight hallways are nice and curvy. You can park you car there in the back of the hotel. Assuming you can find your way among the confusing narrow streets. :D

Can't say about dinner at Hell but, its been recommended and is one of the few places to go at night.

BTW, there is plenty of open :angel: Autobahn to the north and south.:thumbup: