PDA

View Full Version : 60K mile 'gift'

PropellerHead
11-03-2007, 10:02 PM
The beater will turn 60K in the next day or two, so I decided to treat 'er up nice.

It started on Thursday with a visit to the dealer for scheduled service and a rim repair. Nothing major of the rim, but they were the 20" I'd put on this February (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190364)and promptly scratched a month later. :mad:

While there, the dent guy waltzes up and tells me about their deal o' the day. I should clarify that I have no idea if this is really a one day thing, but his delivery made me feel as if I was getting a good deal. Anyway, I found it a reasonable price to remove the dents I'd incurred over the past 3.5 years of not really giving a d@mn what happened to it. I was pretty impressed! They even got some of the larger rock pings out of the hood. It looks- dare I say it- Good!

So, with that, I continued today with MoSport70 and some Zaino. This time, we did it right. Start with the clay bar that took plenty of stuff off the paint. The we went to taping the rubber around the windows and a good glass polish with the random orbital. While I did that, MoSport went WAY OCD on my interior- even scrubbing the rear load floor and cleaning the leather.

I hit the repaired wheel with clay and polish. I can't stress the result enough! What was a rough surface due to overspray was nice and smooth after the treatment. Tomorrow, I will do the other three. If you know anything about overspray, you know it can set into your paint and degrade the quality very quickly- especially on wheels where heat gets extreme.

Because of the late start and the window polish, we couldn't get anything but the ZPC polish done. Man, does it look right! Smooth as waxed glass. Tomorrow I'l hit it with a couple coats of Zaino and maybe get some pics.

Next is some needly little things I want to do- Replace weathered hood vents and grill slats, replace a wheel cover that's torn on the driver's side, and get new Roundels for the wheels. What to do with the tacky black trim is a another question. Perhaps one with an answer around 75K miles. :eeps: