PDA

View Full Version : Do you have 3rd row seats? Do you like them?

jetstream23
11-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Poll coming. Please share your experiences with the 3rd row seat option. I've heard everything from "it would be torture to even put a midget back there" to "I couldn't live without it but make sure you get rear seat A/C." So, any advice or comments? I'd like the flexibility of being able to get 7 people in the SUV if I had to.

Starab
11-08-2007, 07:40 PM
If U have an option to have 3rd row seats , Go for it
with any car/SUV

HolE39
11-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Got the 3rd row and rear climate. Glad we ordered this configuration. Load up the kids and their grandparents for day trips and all is well. Ordered sports package as well. Loading up with peeps and luggage is not a concern...

zee28
11-09-2007, 09:26 AM
Got the 3rd row seats and rear climate. X5 has 7500 miles now and the seats have never seen the light of day and the rear climate never turned on. Would I get them again? Yes, if for no other reason than resale...

Alistair
11-10-2007, 05:18 AM
Have third row with 5 kids. We only have one car; X5 3.0. None of the kids are very tall so it works perfectly.

jetstream23
11-14-2007, 11:30 PM
bump.....for those that got the 3rd row and wish they hadn't, please tell me why? thanks.

emcman
11-15-2007, 08:34 AM
Got 3rd row seats and keep them folded. We are DINKS. It was get 3rd row in an X5 4.8 or go to war with wife who wanted MDX. Not sure why it was so important to her but that is what it took to make the deal. 3rd row I think will help with resale but I would like a donut spare.

SailinSand
11-15-2007, 05:45 PM
We ordered it w/o the 3rd row. It's just my husband and I, no kids. I usually have a mixture of triathlon gear, rollerblades, tennis and beach stuff in the back. I'm such a slob I'll be lucky to keep the middle section clean, let alone a 3rd row. I needed the trunk space. It made no sense for us to get the 3rd row, but we got just about everything else.

TropicsX5
11-17-2007, 02:46 PM
bump.....for those that got the 3rd row and wish they hadn't, please tell me why? thanks.

Bot one of my 07 X5's off dealer lot in october and had 3rd row seats and no privacy glass. would not have ordered 3rd seats but would order rear climate pack them but got such a good deal 5K off MSRP if that is good don't know

jetstream23
12-06-2007, 10:14 PM
The backseat and the 3rd row BOTH fold completely flat for a large storage area, correct? I mean, you don't have to physically remove the 3rd row seats like in a Yukon Denali or a Lexus LX470, right?

zee28
12-07-2007, 03:55 AM
The backseat and the 3rd row BOTH fold completely flat for a large storage area, correct? I mean, you don't have to physically remove the 3rd row seats like in a Yukon Denali or a Lexus LX470, right?

Right!:thumbup:

michaeljr6
12-07-2007, 05:50 PM
i got it and dislike like it since nobody fits back there.

jetstream23
12-10-2007, 12:14 AM
Right!:thumbup:

Cool. Thanks!

jetstream23
12-10-2007, 12:17 AM
i got it and dislike like it since nobody fits back there.

For adults it is obviously "cruel and unusual punishment" in the 3rd row but is it a decent solution for kids in the 3-7 age range? I have an almost 3 year-old who will transition out of a carseat into more of a booster seat in the next year or so. I'm thinking that when the necessary to haul more than 4 or 5 people he occupy the 3rd row. Feasible or would it even be uncomfortable for a kid?

OldHubbardRd
12-10-2007, 04:13 AM
The 3rd row is fine for kids. It is not designed for adults. It should be used for that occassional situation were you need to sit more than 4-5.

jetstream23
12-10-2007, 10:38 AM
The 3rd row is fine for kids. It is not designed for adults. It should be used for that occassional situation were you need to sit more than 4-5.

Then I wonder why more people don't get it as an option. If it truly folds flat and, when stowed, would appear the same as a cargo area that didn't even have a 3rd row, I wonder why people wouldn't see the benefit of having it when needed as well as possibly helping with resale value. :dunno:

king of trolls
12-10-2007, 08:31 PM
Then I wonder why more people don't get it as an option. If it truly folds flat and, when stowed, would appear the same as a cargo area that didn't even have a 3rd row, I wonder why people wouldn't see the benefit of having it when needed as well as possibly helping with resale value. :dunno:

The third row seat is truly a joke. Kids may be able to fit back there, but they look cramped and sit low. I could not get myself back there (5'11"), and forget a car seat. I sold my 05 X5 and ended up going to the "dark side", ended up with an MB GL 450, not my first choice, but it does the trick. The seats fold down automatically, and there is plenty of room in the 3rd row for adults. Anyhow, its a shame, because I really wanted the new X5, I love it, looks agressive, and drives beautiful, can't say enough good things, except for the third row seat:thumbdwn:

jetstream23
12-11-2007, 11:30 PM
The third row seat is truly a joke. Kids may be able to fit back there, but they look cramped and sit low. I could not get myself back there (5'11"), and forget a car seat. I sold my 05 X5 and ended up going to the "dark side", ended up with an MB GL 450, not my first choice, but it does the trick. The seats fold down automatically, and there is plenty of room in the 3rd row for adults. Anyhow, its a shame, because I really wanted the new X5, I love it, looks agressive, and drives beautiful, can't say enough good things, except for the third row seat:thumbdwn:

Thanks. So you like everying except the 3rd row? However, you do think the 3rd row works for small kids? That's good to hear. I'm looking for a vehicle for the next 4 or 5 years that would accommodate my son when he turns about 4 years old until he's 8 or 9. He's 2 1/2 now. I don't want an oversized SUV like an Escalade ESV or Yukon Denali XL at this point. I just want to have the option of putting him in the 3rd row on long trips when other family members are in town and we don't want to take 2 vehicles on a 4 hour roadtrip simply because we have 5 or 6 people.

01Byte
12-12-2007, 08:29 AM

We're taking delivery of our 08 X5 in a couple of weeks and did not order the third seat.

For the past 3 years, my wife drove a GX470 (which does have a third row of seating). In that time, I think we used it 2 or 3 times. The main issue is even for kids, getting back there (especially if you have car seats) is a PIA. Also, in order to use the seats you basically have to empty the trunk area. So things like strollers become difficult to store. In the end, it was something we never even wanted to use.

So, when we looked at the X5's 3rd row (which is even smaller and even less room to store behind the seats) we didn't even think twice about not ordering it.

One more thing to consider. If you get the BMW rear DVD player, it is mounted between the two front seats. This becomes invisible to the kids in the back and will start the usual "I'm not sitting back there because I can't watch the movie" fights.

As for the resale value, I think you'll find the majority of peeps who are getting the X5 are leasing it. So the concept of worrying about resale becomes moot.

Anyway, hope this helps. :)

king of trolls
12-12-2007, 12:25 PM
\ I don't want an oversized SUV like an Escalade ESV or Yukon Denali XL at this point. I just want to have the option of putting him in the 3rd row on long trips when other family members are in town and we don't want to take 2 vehicles on a 4 hour roadtrip simply because we have 5 or 6 people.

I was on the same boat a few months back. I did not want an oversized SUV, however,I still gave the Cadillac Escalade a shot. It drove too big, and it felt loose,. I then went over to MB to try the GL. My my, night and day, the GL handles really well, and its pretty quick for a biggish SUV. Anyhow, the GL was the closest thing to the X5 with a descent third row seat. Hopefully BMW will come out with something similar to the GL in the future, god knows i hate the steering feel in the MB.

jetstream23
12-13-2007, 10:50 PM
We're taking delivery of our 08 X5 in a couple of weeks and did not order the third seat.

For the past 3 years, my wife drove a GX470 (which does have a third row of seating). In that time, I think we used it 2 or 3 times. The main issue is even for kids, getting back there (especially if you have car seats) is a PIA. Also, in order to use the seats you basically have to empty the trunk area. So things like strollers become difficult to store. In the end, it was something we never even wanted to use.

So, when we looked at the X5's 3rd row (which is even smaller and even less room to store behind the seats) we didn't even think twice about not ordering it.

One more thing to consider. If you get the BMW rear DVD player, it is mounted between the two front seats. This becomes invisible to the kids in the back and will start the usual "I'm not sitting back there because I can't watch the movie" fights.

As for the resale value, I think you'll find the majority of peeps who are getting the X5 are leasing it. So the concept of worrying about resale becomes moot.

That is a great firsthand observation!

TexasBMW
12-17-2007, 01:10 PM
Good advice. I think paying $1090 (Wholesale) is not great for resale a long way down the road. I guess if I need to, I can always rent a 15 pax van from Enterprise if I want to be comforable with 7 people.

Also, aren't any of you worried about when you get a flat in the middle of nowhere? RF availability is nonexistant but in large Metro areas.

hunterz4
12-18-2007, 09:44 PM
See the run flat thread re Texa BMW last comment. I have a question. On another thread it was mentioned that the 3d row seat affects the 2d row seat in that it is not as comfortable and is configured differently with 3d row than w/o. Also, did I understand that the 2d row will slide forward and rear to help with the 3d row space?