PDA

View Full Version : Drove a X5 Today

blktoptrvl
11-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Hello all,

I joined today to do a little research into an X5 to decide to buy or not.

I drove a 2003 today with 59K miles on the clock and a 27K price.

The 27K seemed a little high, but anyway, I had the following observations/questions...

1) It drove very nicely, but halfway through the test drive - after getting up to 70 on the highway - I noticed that the 4.4l engine was quite loud and it seemed to drone a bit. In fact, it was more noisy than my V6 Rodeo. I would think that the engine would be almost silent in a vehicle like this.

2) I like the electronic features - especially the express up and down on all windows. The fact that the rear seats can recline is also great for my friend who usually rides in the back. The salesman showed me the recline buttons located in the back hatch, but there seems to be no way to recline the seats while the vehicle is in motion. This seems rather odd. Is there another set of switches anywhere?

3) For a car with all these electronic features, I think it might be a good idea to get en extended warranty. What should a 4 year cost for a car like this?

4) What is the typical gas mileage for 70mph highway trips? Any chance of getting to 21MPG?

5) Although the web says I need to run premium fuel, does the X5 have the (fairly standard) feature that lets the computer detune the car a little when it is running regular?

6) And finally, how are they to work on? I usually don't let mecanics touch my cars. The engine looked like it might be trouble just getting the spark plugs out.

Any responses to these observations/questions would be appreciated.

peakpro
11-10-2007, 05:58 PM
no to 21 mpg...

why search for a 4.4i and then use regular?

you can search for extended warranty info online

blktoptrvl
11-11-2007, 08:40 AM
Because there are rare times when you need the extra power, but most times, you do not.

HPIA4v2
11-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Hello all,

The 27K seemed a little high, but anyway, I had the following observations/questions...

1) It drove very nicely, but halfway through the test drive - after getting up to 70 on the highway - I noticed that the 4.4l engine was quite loud and it seemed to drone a bit. In fact, it was more noisy than my V6 Rodeo. I would think that the engine would be almost silent in a vehicle like this.
My 02 X5 4.4i with 48k miles, drone a bit on hot summer weather. I wonder if I need thicker oil in summer like 15-50W instead 0-40 mobil-1. So it's pretty common.
2) I like the electronic features - especially the express up and down on all windows. The fact that the rear seats can recline is also great for my friend who usually rides in the back. The salesman showed me the recline buttons located in the back hatch, but there seems to be no way to recline the seats while the vehicle is in motion. This seems rather odd. Is there another set of switches anywhere?on mine the switches are located on the headliner above behind the sunroof

3) For a car with all these electronic features, I think it might be a good idea to get en extended warranty. What should a 4 year cost for a car like this?Get it CPO'ed and regular wear maintenance is like any other BMW, it kinda depend on how hard you drive it, the harder you drive the more maintenance cost for sure like brakes, tires, fluids

4) What is the typical gas mileage for 70mph highway trips? Any chance of getting to 21MPG?Doubt it, the best I can get on long freeway trips like inter-city is 20Mpg according to trip comp

5) Although the web says I need to run premium fuel, does the X5 have the (fairly standard) feature that lets the computer detune the car a little when it is running regular?I wouldn't run regular on this V8, the cmp will retard timing automatically but let say the car has carbon build up even retard timing may not enough to prevent ping. BMW specifically ask for 91 or higher

6) And finally, how are they to work on? I usually don't let mecanics touch my cars. The engine looked like it might be trouble just getting the spark plugs out.Just change my plugs, not bad at all. I changed brake pads, trans fluid flush, bake flush, PS, oil, rear ball joint, myself; though the water pump looks interesting

ealzar
11-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Hello all,

DO NOT GET THAT, MINE IS 01' AND ENGINE IS QUIET AT 70, AND IT FEELS LIKE ITS JUST STARTING..
LOOK FOR A DIIFERENT ONE.

2) I like the electronic features - especially the express up and down on all windows. The fact that the rear seats can recline is also great for my friend who usually rides in the back. The salesman showed me the recline buttons located in the back hatch, but there seems to be no way to recline the seats while the vehicle is in motion. This seems rather odd. Is there another set of switches anywhere?

THERE IS ALWAYS A WAY, SINCE BMW CARS ARE MOSTLY ELECTRONIC

3) For a car with all these electronic features, I think it might be a good idea to get en extended warranty. What should a 4 year cost for a car like this?

ITS MY 2ND BMW, I NEVER GOT THE WARRANTY, ITS UP TO YOU, I DO MOST OF MY MAINTENANCE.

4) What is the typical gas mileage for 70mph highway trips? Any chance of getting to 21MPG?

MINE IS 4.4, AND MINE SHOWS 21 MPG.

5) Although the web says I need to run premium fuel, does the X5 have the (fairly standard) feature that lets the computer detune the car a little when it is running regular?

ALWAYS USE PREMIUM, WHEN YOU FILL IT UP, THE DIFFERENCE IS NOT THAT MUCH ANYWAY.

6) And finally, how are they to work on? I usually don't let mecanics touch my cars. The engine looked like it might be trouble just getting the spark plugs out.

THERE ARE A LOT OF DIY HERE AND ON THE HOMEMPAGE INCLUDING SPARK PLUGS. TRUST ME, ITS FUN.

Jalli
11-11-2007, 01:25 PM
A couple points:

The engine in your V6 rodeo is probably a 50yr old design with about 30 hp. Of course a 300+ hp high revving V8 would sound louder... Not uncommon, and part of the fun of the car. If you want a silent luxobarge buy Merc or Lexus.

As for the seat recline, there is another set of buttons located inside the cabin in the rear. Well, at least there is on my 2005.

Is paying the extra .20 for premium really important to you. If so, buy another brand, as you will not like BMW. If you want to drive BMW you end up paying for it. Also, I don't know about 21 MPG, but you can get somewhere close. I know that I can get 430+ miles out of a tank with an average speed of 76 or 77. I can comfortably drive 50 or 60 miles without the needle ever coming off of full..

As for ease of maintenance, the cars are pretty easy to maintain, although I would recommend buying one that is still under warranty, be it original or CPO.

blktoptrvl
11-11-2007, 07:28 PM
HPIA4v2, Ealzar,

Thanks for the detailed responses. Next time I look at an X5 I will look for the other switches.

Jallli, I am going to just assume you are being facetious and ignore the implied insults.

Thanks all.

blktoptrvl
11-12-2007, 05:39 PM
DO NOT GET THAT, MINE IS 01' AND ENGINE IS QUIET AT 70, AND IT FEELS LIKE ITS JUST STARTING..
LOOK FOR A DIIFERENT ONE.

Thanks again...

I drove another today and it was indeed much quiter!