PDA

View Full Version : New e21 316 owner! And some questions!

bleeper
11-16-2007, 03:44 AM
OK I just bought what's probably the most basic e21 model aside from the 315, a 316. I was more interested in the styling of the car than winning races at traffic lights ;-)

So in general, its all good, but there are a few issues I hope someone might be able to address. Not sure how many of these come down to 'It's a really old car'!! :

Petrol smell when getting out of car and a little bit in the car.
Fairly high / sometimes rough idle. About 1500 on startup then drops to around 1000 once warmer.
After 2 1/2 hours of driving on a motorway I experienced intermittent minor drops in power, felt like little jolts. This hasn't happened since, only on that long journey.
Shuddering of steering wheel around the 50mph mark. Anything much slower or faster and it's fine.
Clicking sound when changing gear, as though you can hear the gears (not that loud).

I've never owned such an old car so no idea how many of the above are just things all e21 owners put up with :-)

topcatsteve
01-23-2008, 06:21 AM
first sorry for the spelling I am dislexx....

Re: "Shuddering of steering wheel around the 50mph mark. Anything much slower or faster and it's fine."

Thats an easey one. On any car it's almost sernley down to wheel blancing and/or tracking.

Steve