PDA

View Full Version : When do X5 users start to notice lots of problems? Buying X5 need advice.

jmweb7
11-20-2007, 09:13 AM
There is a 2001 BMW X5 locally for sale with the following options: Alarm, AM/FM Stereo, Air Conditioning, Alloy Wheels, Anti-Lock Brakes, CD Player, Driver Air Bag, Dual Air Bag, Fog Lights, Intermittent Wipers, Keyless Entry, Power Brakes, Power Mirrors, Power Seat, Power Steering, Power Windows, Rear Defroster, Roof Rack, Side Impact Air Bag, Tilt Steering, Tinted Glass, Cruise Control, All Equipped, Bucket Seats, Heated Seats, Leather Interior, Power Locks, Running Boards, Spoiler, Sunroof, Power Trunk, Tilt Wheel, Dual Climate Controls, Memory Seats, Passenger Air Bag, Curb Side Mirrors, Satellite Radio

It has 102,000 miles on it or 170,000 km. The person that owned it previously was a NHL hockey scout (who also owns a chunk of the business). Before that, it was owned by another local millioniare.

I don't want to buy the SUV if it has lots of problems, I want a reliable vehicle. So, when do most problems start coming up with the X5?

mihaim77
11-20-2007, 09:53 PM
very important

jmweb7
11-21-2007, 08:23 AM
3.0l

Scott ZHP
11-21-2007, 03:41 PM
Do a search please.

The 3.0l is less expensive to maintain, but if you are buying a car with 102K miles and you are worried about repair/maintenance cosy, I'd suggest you look elsewhere. An X5 is NOT cheap to fix, unless you DIY.

mihaim77
11-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Why would a millionaire previous owner buy a 3.0 X5?
Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds like the current owner is exaggerating.....to say the least.

Plus: options like power windows, power doors, etc don't need to be advertised. All X5's came with them; this is not a Civic.
List options like: nav, park sens, window shades, etc:thumbup:

mihaim77
11-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Do a search please.

The 3.0l is less expensive to maintain, but if you are buying a car with 102K miles and you are worried about repair/maintenance cosy, I'd suggest you look elsewhere. An X5 is NOT cheap to fix, unless you DIY.

:)

Zulu95
11-21-2007, 05:03 PM
I started noticing problems 2 minutes after picking it up. Now 3 years later I'm still having them. '01 3.0L with 51K miles now.

tomgtv
11-23-2007, 12:56 PM
I am the original owner of a 2001, 3.0L, X5 with 175,000 miles living in S FL.

Just to give you some idea of what to expect:
4 window regulators at $200+ a pop
3 axles at $600 each
1 transfer case - $1500 that was a deal, used a rebuilt one, new from
BMW is $2200 plus labor
1 water pump
2 AC blower fuses, $200 each time
Lots of blown turn signal bulbs. Turns out they arc in the holder,
so rather than replace, take 'em out and use sandpaper
Full set of rotors, 2 sets of brakes - that's normal
going on 3rd set of tires, I have 18", wear really well, up to 80K miles
Air Mass sensor $500
couple of trouble lights on dash, just put tape over 'em.........
passenger visor broke off, $245 to get new assembly (only way), left it
Leaks a little oil now, not burning it
Steering pump tank leaks a little, just add fluid so it doesn't grind
Headlight covers have fogged over.....Xenon lights.......that's why I'm on
the forum! Tried power buffer with plastic polish no go.......hope I can just
buy lens.

If this car makes 250K with out a blown motor or transmission, I'll be ambivalent
about it. If it blows I'll part it out!

To tell you the truth, I'm going back to Toyota or Nissan. I've had lots of BMW's and
Lexus, and Z's. You NEVER put this kind of repair money into the Japanese products. In most cases
my total out of pocket was a light bulb or two.........

760Lifan
11-23-2007, 02:03 PM
I would NEVER drive a BMW out of warranty. Sure, warranty is also a question of affordability, but if this question comes into play, who can afford expensive repairs?

Saving money by driving a car until it falls apart is an option - whether this option is smart or not depends on the car alone. As a previous poster, I also have my doubts that BMW or Mercedes is the best solution if you want to go that way. It's def. not smart if your savings from NOT getting a car under warranty end up in the service-department.

In general, if I'd have to pick the car out of our fleet that had the most issues so far (although only minor), I have to say it has been the X5.
I sometimes get the feeling that it has something to do with the fact that it was NOT assembled in Germany..:dunno:

denaliman
11-23-2007, 03:01 PM
I don't want to buy the SUV if it has lots of problems, I want a reliable vehicle. So, when do most problems start coming up with the X5?

3 weeks before they sell it! :rofl:

werewolf
01-16-2008, 03:20 PM

3 axles at $600 each
BMW is $2200 plus labor
1 water pump
Air Mass sensor $500
buy lens.

If this car makes 250K with out a blown motor or transmission, I'll be ambivalent

To tell you the truth, I'm going back to Toyota or Nissan. I've had lots of BMW's and
Lexus, and Z's. You NEVER put this kind of repair money into the Japanese products. In most cases

Great post! I own a 2001 BMW x5 and a 1998 Lexus GS400. I bought both used and I bought the Lexus later on after looking at 530/540s. Why?

1) Lexus is reliable. Oil changes, 30k service intervals outside of oil and not much else.
2) BMW knowingly uses cheaper components in well-known problem areas...see water pump. The water pump/coolant issue really jerks my chain...A strand me/screw the engine failure is a major no-no.
3) Japanese product is getting better. Infiniti on the sportness, Lexus on the luxury and design
4) Auto transmission failure rates in early X5s (2001-03). Replace the tranny after 100K? 3-4K USD in cost? Really....

werewolf
01-16-2008, 03:21 PM

3 axles at $600 each
BMW is $2200 plus labor
1 water pump
Air Mass sensor $500
buy lens.

Tell me more about the sandpaper turn signal fix....

Thanks

dkl
01-16-2008, 07:16 PM

What tranny do you have? Auto or Manual?

Crash1976
01-19-2008, 06:08 PM
I have a 01 4.4i with a sport package, got mine used with 83k now just over 102k and so far I have done the brakes and a Radiator still am looking to get rid of my racing slick tire if any one know of a good deal on those but over all wouldn't trade it for the world

omodos
02-23-2009, 01:33 AM
gotta nov 2004 e53 3.0d, hoping that the crap coolant tanks issues hoses etc have been remedied as this is a facelift model, but i am not holding my breath, yeah just dont know what to make of it, pleasure to drive but pain to own and eats through my wallet, spend more on it than anything else.....(even the woman in my life needs less t.l.c)

smarty197
02-23-2009, 12:20 PM

BMW reliability has been debated on different forums. If you're looking for a reliable car, I would suggest going with Japanese manufacture, on the other hand, if you want to drive a vehicle for driving pleasure, go with BMW. Problems can show up from the get go, or you might not have any problems for a long time. Everyone's experience will be different. 2001 yr model owners will be able to give you more insight on the problems they might have faced.

As others have posted, warranty is important for BMWs.

Emission
02-23-2009, 12:43 PM
I lease two BMWs, and I wouldn't own either out of warranty. They are damn fine automobiles, but they are complex and expensive to repair. Interestingly enough, both of mine are currently flawlessly reliable (zero problems).

- Mike

sharmabmw
02-26-2009, 12:13 PM
I own a 2002 x5 3.0. Literally a few months after my 6yr/100k extended cpo warranty went out, I started having problems. Usual stuff, i.e. brakes, rotors, were expected. My air conditioning unit died. Other engine problems which I don't understand died. That cost me > $2000.

however, once my current x5 dies, I'm going to buy another one. I love the car.

bboffard618
03-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Has anyone experienced a problem with an 05' x5 car alarm? When the car is off and locked, approximately 10-20 minutes the car alarm trips and sounds for a minute and a half before shutting off.....

Yesterday the dealer replaced the alarms hood switch but the same problem seemed to occur shortly after leaving the dealership... I took it back to the dealer and they were still unable to do anything for me.... other than make me wait 2.5 hours before giving me a Volkswagon Patwat for the night. I was told that the driver side door had faulted a dozen times since I left the dealer ship yesterday....

Does anyone have any idea as to what it could be? The battery was replaced some time in late january so it may not be a battery issue...

The only modifications to the car are window tints (applied in mid october) and a sub box in the trunk with a capacitor...

could a faulty door pin be relevant to the issues I'm having?

BlK 05' x5 4.4i
23,000 miles

MedicChoi
03-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Has anyone experienced a problem with an 05' x5 car alarm? When the car is off and locked, approximately 10-20 minutes the car alarm trips and sounds for a minute and a half before shutting off.....

Yesterday the dealer replaced the alarms hood switch but the same problem seemed to occur shortly after leaving the dealership... I took it back to the dealer and they were still unable to do anything for me.... other than make me wait 2.5 hours before giving me a Volkswagon Patwat for the night. I was told that the driver side door had faulted a dozen times since I left the dealer ship yesterday....

Does anyone have any idea as to what it could be? The battery was replaced some time in late january so it may not be a battery issue...

The only modifications to the car are window tints (applied in mid october) and a sub box in the trunk with a capacitor...

could a faulty door pin be relevant to the issues I'm having?

BlK 05' x5 4.4i
23,000 miles

Last summer, I had one damn fly inside of my car and that little creature was able to activate the alarm sensor!!!
Tried to kick it out of the vehicle by opening the moonroof and windows, but it didn't get out.. It was totally insane.. (Even I let all four doors open, it never got out of the car.) :banghead::banghead::banghead:
I went to Wall mart, got a bug spray, and just literally killed the 'incredible fly' in the car.. Since then, the alarm didn't go off.
It sounds completely insane but you might also have a SUPER fly in your car!!:wow:

BTW, 23000miles seem a lot lower for 2005 model.:yikes: I have a 2008 E70 and I've got already 23000miles on it.

uberpanzer44
03-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Go with a 2004 or newer model - you get X-Drive and an improved, mildly redesigned vehicle.