PDA

View Full Version : Output Speed sensor fault?????????

chris1
11-21-2007, 07:45 PM
I have a 2002 X5 4.4is. I noticed every so often when I take off from a stand still and put the gas to the floor Boards it feels like it goes into limp mode. The only way to get out of it is to turn the truck off and then restart it then evrything is back to normal. It sounds and drives fine only under those conditions have I noticed this problem. I brought it to the dealer and they said I need a new one $7000.00. I do not believe them. The truck seems fine in all gears shifts fine no noise no cluncking no nothing just as I staited above only once in awhile when I mash the gas to floor will that happen. The mechanic Diagnosis fault reads as follows
49 Gear monitoring
Fault is the 1th fault to be detected.
Output-speed-sensor signals not sent or too high level of slip in the gearbox.
Implausible signal
Fault currently present.
Fault not sporadic.
Last gear shift: Upshift 2-3
ATF temperature: 19degrees C
Output speed: 736rpm
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad:
Can anyone help????????

BMW_tech
11-21-2007, 08:00 PM
I have a 2002 X5 4.4is. I noticed every so often when I take off from a stand still and put the gas to the floor Boards it feels like it goes into limp mode. The only way to get out of it is to turn the truck off and then restart it then evrything is back to normal. It sounds and drives fine only under those conditions have I noticed this problem. I brought it to the dealer and they said I need a new one $7000.00. I do not believe them. The truck seems fine in all gears shifts fine no noise no cluncking no nothing just as I staited above only once in awhile when I mash the gas to floor will that happen. The mechanic Diagnosis fault reads as follows
49 Gear monitoring
Fault is the 1th fault to be detected.
Output-speed-sensor signals not sent or too high level of slip in the gearbox.
Implausible signal
Fault currently present.
Fault not sporadic.
Last gear shift: Upshift 2-3
ATF temperature: 19degrees C
Output speed: 736rpm
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad:
Can anyone help????????

I think the "shotgun diagnosis" was implemented.I see a reading of the output speed but what is the input speed reading? This can be as simple as a reprogram fix due to "software error in EGS" and worse case scenario,a faulty input or output speed sensor.They should have compared the 2 sensor readings and if well above or below the threshold opt to replace both sensors and reprogram the EGS.I dont see a printout of the EGS identification and the actual environmental conditions.If you could post the complete documents please do.
They cannot/should not jump the gun and recommend replacing the complete trans.Let me tell you about situations in every dealership I have been to.A tech recommended replacing the trans,client authorized it but the trans did not fix it.It turned out to be a control unit.These control units for the transmission is not VIN specific,a donor should be searched and tried and if not a PuMA case should be submitted because who knows more about transmissions that the techs? The engineers who built those things.They know what goes wrong and they will ask the right questions and conclude with recommendations This is the only piece of paper you all should believe.

chris1
11-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Thank you so much I wil request this and share the info with you. Again thanks so much.

geecroz
11-27-2007, 10:16 AM
Were you in "Trans failsafe mode"? When does the tranny go into this mode? Mine went into this mode which sticks the trans into permanent 4th gear. If you have an OBD code of 0720 there is a problem with the output speed sensor and it is a $134 part but is inside the valve body in the tranny. Add new fluid and gaskets- total cost approx $800.
The BMW dealer will not do this repair, take it to a good european trans repair shop.

chris1
11-28-2007, 08:25 PM
This problem happened to me when I nailed it from a stop. And yes your absolutely right about the money part. But I live in windsor canada and get the parts across the river in the US. I am replacing both input and output speed sensors wich are only $38 each flushing the trans with oil gaskets etc. for $150. This problem that we are talking about has happened once since I have owed the car (2 weeks) and it has not did it since. I had the dealer reprogram the trans. But I don't think the cleared out the old fault code so after it came up again. What scares me the most is that there is no fault coming up inside on the display screen, nothing at all. The dealer told me it needs a new trans. I am not stupid and can tell and hear a mechanical break in the trans if there was one but there is no noise, cluncking, banging, vibration at all.The truck drives handles excelorates excellent???????I got some excellent professional advice from the "BMW TECH" above. I also went to the best trans place in my area that has did some work on BMW trans. After there road test of stop and go traffic expressway driving and balls to the wall driving could not find anything mechanicaly wrong it wouldn't even slip????They looked at me as if maybe there was something wrong with me.Maybe the reprogramming helped and or worked????But I am still going to change the sensors and flush the trans. Just waiting for them to come in. Why wont the Dealer try to even trouble shoot it??? Why as soon as a code comes up they toss the towel in and declare your trans garbage?????? Could this be why X5's are getting a bad review on the Trans??????Or is my trans really F*&^%D up????

janomd
05-30-2011, 07:09 PM
HI there

I am running into the same prblem with my 2002 X5 4.4; Please let me know what happened after you replaced the input and output sensors

thanks in advance

janomd
05-30-2011, 07:28 PM
HI there

I am running into the same prblem with my 2002 X5 4.4; Please let me know what happened after you replaced the input and output sensors

thanks in advance