PDA

View Full Version : X5 Sports Package

smoothjazz
11-26-2007, 01:00 PM
I'm about to lease a new '08 X5 and can't decide on weather to get the sports package or not. I have it now on my '05 X5. I test drove a non sports package - felt ok, although I think I like the way the seats 'hug' you on the sports package. I also heard the newer sports package is not as 'stiff' as previous years due to the newer drive base being longer?

It's a $3600 option - expensive. The car they have also has a power tailgate which I really want too. both options add about $60/month to the lease. This does add up.

It does make more sense to get it without the sports as I do prefer a 'softer' ride. Just not sure if the non sport seats feel too 'flat' and less conforming.

Any opinions would be so greatly appreciated.

jasonrhcastle
11-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Well, here is my $.02...

I got the sports package for several reasons, and they are as follows:

1). Alcantara black interior roof liner. I think it is a must with any interior except gray, or maybe black to a lesser extent.

2). Ride is sooooo much more "BMW like" with the sport package.

3). Shadowline exterior trim on the sports pack.

4). Aerodynamic front grills.

5). I wanted the 20 inch sport Y spoke wheels.

6). Wider fenders with the 20's...

If you don't want or need any of those, I would say don't get it. Also, if you like the way the sport seats "grab" you, try ordering the 20 way comfort seats. They are available with or without the sport pack.

Let me know if this helps...

smoothjazz
11-26-2007, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the reply - I was referring to the X5 though. On any other car, I wouldn't hesitate at all, but on an suv?

denaliman
11-26-2007, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the reply - I was referring to the X5 though. On any other car, I wouldn't hesitate at all, but on an suv?

:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

jasonrhcastle
11-26-2007, 06:56 PM
I know you were referring to the X5....That is why that I told you why I ordered the sport pack on my MY08 X5 4.8i that is on order....

AzNMpower32
11-26-2007, 08:07 PM
I didn't think the "sport seats" that come with the sport package were that great. My friend ordered their 2008 4.8i with sport, technology, rear climate, but NO premium package. Thus, the only benefit is a *bit* more side bolstering and the adjustable thigh support. Honestly, I think the Comfort Seats might actually make sense. :dunno:

Plus, I noticed that the Anthracite headliner isn't the suede-like Alcantara headliner that comes on the more expensive BMWs. What a pity.

However, the Active Roll Stabilization and EDC that comes with Sport models is worth the price of admission...........it works amazingly in the bends.

smoothjazz
11-26-2007, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

I'm leasing a 3.0 not the 4.8. Do ya still think it makes sense to add the sport package.

I did test drive the non sports. It did 'feel' quite different from my 2005 x5 3.0.

I'm just trying to make a good decision. I too am starting to think that the Sports Package does make it feel more like a BMW too.

Probably the only thing about the sport seats that I don't like is getting into them.

They can kind of 'grab' ya in the wrong place. I am getting running boards this time so that should help.

Seems like most people are happier with the Sports Package.

Any further comments (ie - what was your feeling after driving a non-sports X5) would be great.
Thanks!

tomcronX5
11-27-2007, 11:35 AM
6). Wider fenders with the 20's...

If you don't want or need any of those, I would say don't get it. Also, if you like the way the sport seats "grab" you, try ordering the 20 way comfort seats. They are available with or without the sport pack.

Let me know if this helps...

I don't think the fenders are actually wider with the 20" wheels. I might be wrong ont that.

I agree on the comfort seats though. I have them on my 08 4.8i and love them.

I opted not to get sport pkg for a couple of reasons. I preferred a less firm ride (although the ride on the base X5 is fairly firm compared to other suv's). I also wanted better tire wear. Tire wear on the 20's is likely to be a lot more given the softness and low profile of the tires.

HolE39
11-28-2007, 10:19 PM
Sports package allows you to adjust the ride via sway bars and struts. You also get the rear ride height leveling. I may be missing something here; we ordered it as a must have...

Sport Package:

19 x 9.0 Star Spoke (Style 212) light-alloy wheels, and 255/50R-19 run-flat all-season tires22
10-way power-adjustable front sport seats with 2-way manual thigh support adjustment, and memory system for driver***8217;s seat, steering wheel and outside mirrors
3-spoke power tilt/telescopic leather-wrapped multi-function sport steering wheel
Adaptive Drive: includes Active Roll Stabilization and Electronic Dampening Control
Anthracite headliner
Shadowline trim

I don't know what is meant by "BMW ride". :-)

jasonrhcastle
11-29-2007, 05:36 AM
What I meant about BMW ride is the best handling experience all around of any car manufacturer in the US.

No other, non-high performance car (i.e. porsche, ferrari, lamborghini) manufacturer matches it in my opinion.

The sports pack acentuates that even more than the standard suspension.

denaliman
11-29-2007, 07:28 AM
I don't think the fenders are actually wider with the 20" wheels. I might be wrong ont that.

I agree on the comfort seats though. I have them on my 08 4.8i and love them.

The fenders are wider (flaired) with the 20" wheel option.

HolE39
11-30-2007, 07:45 PM
What I meant about BMW ride is the best handling experience all around of any car manufacturer in the US.

No other, non-high performance car (i.e. porsche, ferrari, lamborghini) manufacturer matches it in my opinion.

The sports pack acentuates that even more than the standard suspension.

I know and was just kidding. I currently have 3 BMWs, all with sport package. The 4th was an E32 4.0 V8. We miss that car... :thumbup:

chirpate
12-04-2007, 02:12 PM
I took the sports package on the X5 20057 30.si.

Forget about the sports seats...they are crap.

Teh antricate liner i guess is good.

YOU MUST GET THE SPORTS PACKAGE...!!!!!!!

YOU HAVE TO GET IT !!!!

Without it...the car is OKAY

With it....the car is AWESOME!!!!!! just check the power OUT

Its like full control of a mnaul without a shift stick.

jetstream23
12-06-2007, 10:02 PM
I took the sports package on the X5 20057 30.si.

Forget about the sports seats...they are crap.

Teh antricate liner i guess is good.

YOU MUST GET THE SPORTS PACKAGE...!!!!!!!

YOU HAVE TO GET IT !!!!

Without it...the car is OKAY

With it....the car is AWESOME!!!!!! just check the power OUT

Its like full control of a mnaul without a shift stick.

Didn't you just start a whole other thread complaining about problems with your X5 saying, "My pedal just feel heavy. I mean if i really slam the acceleration it moves, but theres a 2 second delay. When im at the traffic lights, im the last one to get going, even cheaper cars pick speed quicker then i do" ?