PDA

View Full Version : S T Y L E 3 2 !


Patrick
04-01-2003, 05:46 AM
Finally. :eeps:

What do you think?

Patrick
04-01-2003, 05:47 AM
Front needs to be lowered ... :yikes:

Alex Baumann
04-01-2003, 05:50 AM
BEAUTIFUL ! :thumbup:

How is the ride quality ?

johnlew
04-01-2003, 05:50 AM
I like, just take care of them so they don't peel.

Patrick
04-01-2003, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by johnlew
I like, just take care of them so they don't peel.

Your 540iT was the actual inspiration for this wheel choice! :D

I will take care of them - and they will only be mounted for 5 months of the year.

Patrick
04-01-2003, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by Alex Baumann
BEAUTIFUL ! :thumbup:

How is the ride quality ?

Thanks! I have only driven from the service dept. to the grocery store and then home (8km), so hard to tell.

The tires are Dunlop SP Sport 2000. :eek: I was hoping for Michelins, but they came mounted on a set of Style 42 wheels instead. Damn Swedes ...

I will have to get it out on the road see how it feels, sounds etc. Perhaps tomorrow!

johnlew
04-01-2003, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by Patrick 520iAT
Your 540iT was the actual inspiration for this wheel choice! :D

I will take care of them - and they will only be mounted for 5 months of the year.

That's 540iA T. :thumbup: Notice my peeled rim on the driver's rear.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/members/johnlew/540/drrrqtr.jpg

Patrick
04-01-2003, 05:58 AM
Yes, 540iAT ... my bad. 520iAT, 540iAT ... :D

And that is the pic that I was talking about! :thumbup:

PhilH
04-01-2003, 06:04 AM
:bigpimp:

Patrick
04-01-2003, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by PhilH
:bigpimp:

It was an excellent suggestion, Phil. :D

As soon as my wife saw your pic as well, she said, "Oh yeah." :D

F1Crazy
04-01-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by Patrick 520iAT
Finally. :eeps:

What do you think?

Looks good! :thumbup:
It really transformed the car.

Patrick
04-01-2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by johnlew
That's 540iA T. :thumbup: Notice my peeled rim on the driver's rear.

BTW John, were those Brilliant Line Style 32s?

I checked out the E46 Style 32s today as well, and the non-Brilliant Line wheels looked a lot different.

Just curious about your peeling wheels!

Dr. Phil
04-01-2003, 07:18 AM
Nice choice Patrick :thumbup:

:bow: :bow: :str8pimpi

Patrick
04-01-2003, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT
Nice choice Patrick :thumbup:

:bow: :bow: :str8pimpi

Good morning, Phil. And thank you. :D

It was worth the wait ... and even longer than the 13 days that I had to wait for my G4 to be assembled in Ireland. :confused:

That was a painful, long, drawn out wait. Waiting sucks. I don't like waiting. You know what I mean?




Mora!

:D

bmw325
04-01-2003, 07:23 AM
beautiful. Those wheels look perfect on your e39-- the perfect mix of understatement and sportiness.

johnlew
04-01-2003, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Patrick 520iAT
BTW John, were those Brilliant Line Style 32s?

I checked out the E46 Style 32s today as well, and the non-Brilliant Line wheels looked a lot different.

Just curious about your peeling wheels!

Patrick, they appear to be the same as yours. There is some sort of plating on the wheel that peeled off. Whatever the OEM style 32 for the 99 540iAT with sport package was, is what the car had. The peeling, I feel, occurred due to poor maintenance of the wheels by the previous owner and carelessness on the part of tire changers, scratching and breaking the alloy seal and allowing moisture to get under the plating. Yours, I'm sure will be fine. Here's how they looked when I got the car. If you look closely, you can see sand piled up where the slots meet the rim. :yikes:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/members/johnlew/540/b4drside.jpg

Patrick
04-01-2003, 07:52 AM
Sounds like an unfortunate waste of good wheels. As I recall, your E39 was rather (cough) dirty when you picked it up. I remember those before and after pics of the engine well. :yikes:

IMHO, Style 32s look the best when on a Titan Silver E39. They agressively match the body color a lot better than with my "Urinal Cake" green Touring. :D Thanks again, vexed ...

I have all of the cleaning tools and products I need for the wheels, I hope that it will be enough!

Dustin540/6
04-01-2003, 10:36 AM
I maintain my wheels by keeping them clean and waxed, however, they still have some minor peeling. Maybe its a paint flaw?

F1Crazy
04-01-2003, 12:40 PM
John, you know that you can get them refinished, don't you?
Rims are not bend and there is just some rash there so repair should be probably less than $80, they'll look almost as good as new.
If it's only clear coat that is peeling off you can even attempt to fix it yourself. Let me know if you're intrested and I'll look up a DIY for you.

johnlew
04-01-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by F1Crazy
John, you know that you can get them refinished, don't you?
Rims are not bend and there is just some rash there so repair should be probably less than $80, they'll look almost as good as new.
If it's only clear coat that is peeling off you can even attempt to fix it yourself. Let me know if you're intrested and I'll look up a DIY for you.

Thanks for the offer. These wheels are not painted, they are plated. If you look at my picture at the top of this thread, you'll see where the driver's rear wheel is peeled away, it comes off like aluminum foil and is much more than a rash. All of the wheels are in poor shape and would cost me about $800 or so to have refinished, I've checked. I bought new wheels that I like for the car, but still have the old ones if I choose to go back to them and one perfect one for a spare. Here's the car with the new wheels.

http://home.wi.rr.com/bmw330cic/540_files/image004.jpg

Kaz
04-01-2003, 12:58 PM
32s are some of my favorites. But why do some people (especially people selling on eBay) insist on calling them "Alpinas?" :mad:

F1Crazy
04-01-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by johnlew
Thanks for the offer. These wheels are not painted, they are plated. If you look at my picture at the top of this thread, you'll see where the driver's rear wheel is peeled away, it comes off like aluminum foil and is much more than a rash. All of the wheels are in poor shape and would cost me about $800 or so to have refinished, I've checked. I bought new wheels that I like for the car, but still have the old ones if I choose to go back to them and one perfect one for a spare. Here's the car with the new wheels.


Yeah, $800 is a little too much for refinishing. Are all 32s finished this way?

rost12
04-01-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Patrick 520iAT
What do you think?

I think that's one cool 525iAT! :thumbup: I'm glad you went with 17's. Smaller wheels just don't cut it :p

Alex Baumann
04-01-2003, 03:38 PM
Interesting, in 3 years of ownership, I've never had any problems, peeling etc.

Maybe the 18s have different coating ? :dunno:

Toast
04-01-2003, 08:16 PM
The new wheels look great on your car! :D

SARAFIL
04-01-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by rost12
525iAT!

520!! 520!! (not everyone is fortunate enough to get those big engines in their E39s, ya know. ;) )

rost12
04-02-2003, 05:31 AM
Opsie :(

Pardon me, Pardner!

rost12
04-02-2003, 05:31 AM
Toast - your sig is hilarious :thumbup:

Patrick
04-02-2003, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by SARAFIL
520!! 520!! (not everyone is fortunate enough to get those big engines in their E39s, ya know. ;) )

True. :(

However, the 2.2 liter engine in my E39 is faster than the 523i! :D

Actually, I could care less. My next car will be a used E38 ... :yikes:

Patrick
04-02-2003, 06:16 AM
BTW, I ordered Eibach springs and struts today ... they should be here next week. I hope that no one will tell me to go and post at fanatics ... ! :D

30mm drop in front and 15mm in the rear with progressive rear springs. At least I can get rid of that ugly GAP between the top of the tire and lower lip of the fender.

:bigpimp:

PhilH
04-02-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Patrick 520iAT
BTW, I ordered Eibach springs and struts today ... they should be here next week. I hope that no one will tell me to go and post at fanatics ... ! :D

30mm drop in front and 15mm in the rear with progressive rear springs. At least I can get rid of that ugly GAP between the top of the tire and lower lip of the fender.

:bigpimp:
I'd love a detailed review of the ride and handling (especially the ride) of the Eibach pro-kit. Since it's one of the few matched spring-shock combos out there, it's on my short list for when I mod my suspension. Even though you have an E39...

Ågent99
04-02-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Patrick 520iAT
BTW, I ordered Eibach springs and struts today ... they should be here next week. I hope that no one will tell me to go and post at fanatics ... ! :D

30mm drop in front and 15mm in the rear with progressive rear springs. At least I can get rid of that ugly GAP between the top of the tire and lower lip of the fender.

:bigpimp:

Are you installing them yourself? I've done springs/shock swap before...not too bad if you've someone looking over your shoulder who has done it before. :)

Chris :D

Patrick
04-02-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by PhilH
I'd love a detailed review of the ride and handling (especially the ride) of the Eibach pro-kit. Since it's one of the few matched spring-shock combos out there, it's on my short list for when I mod my suspension. Even though you have an E39...

I will post a review once it is all installed.

I had the same Pro Kit on my first E46 (318iT). It was a bit too low IMHO, but I did notice a major difference in how it handled. The ride was not too harsh and driving a freeway speeds was a lot easier.

For the E39, I had to chose a kit that will not drastically lower the rear of the car because I will not be able to get into my garage! My driveway is flat and then slopes down on an angle into the garage. I am a little concerned about high centering the car on the way down! I suppose that I can always remodel the driveway ...

This pic was taken last summer while I was bricking the driveway (no bricks yet) and you can see the angle that it head down into the garage:

Patrick
04-02-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Ågent99
Are you installing them yourself? I've done springs/shock swap before...not too bad if you've someone looking over your shoulder who has done it before. :)

Chris :D

No, I will not do it myself. :(

However, a good friend of mine owns a VW garage with a hydraulic lift and he has spring compressor tools - I will leave it up to him. Then I will go right away to get a 4 wheel alignment.

I have seen one of those pneumatic spring compressor let go - thankfully, there was no one within 10m when it happened. That could do some serious damage. :eek: