PDA

View Full Version : X5 Towing capacity

dkotanto
04-01-2003, 03:14 PM
Hello,

I'm playing with the idea of getting an X5 for my wife and trade in her 2002 Explorer V8, but I have a travel trailer that weight about 6000 lbs that I must tow with the X5. Does the 3.0 pull that kind of weight? Is there a towing package that I should consider?

Thanks,
Jim

Masskrug
04-01-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by dkotanto
Hello,

I'm playing with the idea of getting an X5 for my wife and trade in her 2002 Explorer V8, but I have a travel trailer that weight about 6000 lbs that I must tow with the X5. Does the 3.0 pull that kind of weight? Is there a towing package that I should consider?

Thanks,
Jim

Officially, 5 thousand 9 hundred and something-something...should be close enough for your needs. This is for all the X5 models, incl the 3.0.

There is no towing package from the factory that I know of, but there is a set of BMW parts you can order and install for $$$ of course.

Emission
04-01-2003, 05:38 PM
My experience with trailer towing (not personal) is that there are more factors than just "max trailer weight" than need to be looked at.

A good friend of mine bought a Land Rover Discovery II so he could tow his large camper/trailer. Even though it was within the weight range, the narrow (and tall) Disco II was all over the road. He refused to tow with it! He said it felt like the trailer was towing the Disco II! He bought a Suburban shortly thereafter.

I would imagine the wide X5 would do well with a trailer. You should send a message to Jon Shafer. He tows with his X5 3.0 frequently.

SupraRZ
04-15-2003, 10:51 PM
I'm also having second thoughts about leasing a X5 3.0 or even 4.4 to tow my 3500lb Supra + 1000lb trailor to the shows. My friends just laughed when I even mentioned that to them, they said 'ha ha ha 6 cylinder 220hp pulling WHAT?' So I dunno...