PDA

View Full Version : 2004 4.4i - won't start!!

Andawyr
12-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Ok, I'm really frickin' annoyed.

Last Wednesday, my wife left work at 9:15pm, and tried to start our X5 - wouldn't start. Turned over just fine, but would not fire. I suspected a broken fuel pump....

We had it towed to the BMW dealership (about 1/2 mile away!). First, they said that it would probably take a day to get to, due to current load in the service department. Then, when my wife called the next day, they said it would be at least a week before they could get to it - ouch! However, after some pretty strong words, they were able to get to it on the Friday, determined that the fuel pump was defective, and replaced it. I picked the vehicle up yesterday morning, and all seems well.

First, let me state that I'm from Calgary, and it's pretty cold outside right now - it's -20C, (-4F, for the American folk in the crowd), and somewhat windy. The X5 sits on the driveway (my 330ci sits inside, and I don't have enough room to fit the X5 as well), so it was ice cold this morning.

I'm sure you can see where this story is going. Put in the key, turn it over, and, as before, no dice. Exact same behaviour - turns over just fine, but it does not fire. So, I'm assuming that the fuel pump is toast (again, second one!), or the gas line is frozen - I'm skeptical about the gas line freezing, since I use winter gas.

Have I got a lemon? We picked this thing up used about 7 months ago - I've also noticed the occasional transmission thump that some people experience, so I'm worried about having a bad tranny or transfer case. Sure, it's under warranty via the Certified Service, but still.....

Needless to say, I'll be calling the dealership back on Monday to have them come get the vehicle. Even if the vehicle is fixed, I don't know how I can trust this vehicle in the winter - I drive through the mountains in the dead of winter, and having that nagging feeling that my vehicle might not start if I shut it off is not a comforting one. Not to mention just plain dangerous.

I can't begin to say how much of a pain in the a** this is - my wife just had some minor leg surgery done, so she can't drive a manual. So, I need to either foot the bill for taxi's, or stay home and shuttle her around if need be. I certainly didn't get much sympathy from the dealership, that's for sure.

Sorry for the rant, but I just needed to vent. :mad::mad:

mero4200
12-02-2007, 01:29 PM
sounds like we have the same problem but i have the 2001 model if u figure it out before i do please let me know what it was

Andawyr
12-03-2007, 05:58 AM
sounds like we have the same problem but i have the 2001 model if u figure it out before i do please let me know what it was

Is this a recurring problem with your X5?

I'm hoping I just got a dud fuel pump - I need to call BMW to get them to tow it back to the dealer today - if I can, I'm going to get the tow truck driver to drop it right in front of the service bay doors :D

mero4200
12-05-2007, 12:06 PM
well they just told me i had some bad fuel and they will change the pump, housing, filter, flush the tank and clean the injectors, and clean the fuel tank so may be they didnt filter out the remaining of your tank when they changed the pump or make sure they cleaned the injectors. good luck and i will let you know how mine turned out.

Andawyr
12-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Well, as it turns out, not only the fuel pump was bad - the relay for the fuel pump failed as well. The tech should have replaced it when he replaced the fuel pump, but for some reason, they didn't.

They were very apologetic when I went to pick the vehicle up. I wasn't charged anything for the service, either (not even the deductible)...

So, it's now running, and has been for a couple of weeks. I should hopefully be good to go.

mero4200
01-12-2008, 03:47 PM
ya same thing here.

ealzar
01-15-2008, 10:39 AM
how come i have been seeing start problems on facelift X5s? Mine is 2001 and never hesitated at start. Hmm, interesting...