PDA

View Full Version : SSTT Reliability and drivability

ramos
12-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Hey guys,

So I'm thinking of getting a couple of those, one for my friend as a Christmas gift and one for my upcoming E90 335i. We both lease and are looking for the easiet safest plug and play solution available.

My question is to all those who have one installed,
Have you had any reliability issues such as overheating or error codes?
Has the install affected the drivability and the smoothness of the car overall?

Ucla95
12-04-2007, 01:37 PM
Christmas gift?? Can I be your friend?!?

ramos
12-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Hehehehe... Sure why not? You're right though.. it may be too much $$ for a Christmas gift..

White05X3
12-06-2007, 06:24 AM
Perhaps this could be worded a bit better. The SSTT does have an effect on drivability...it improves it! I said no effect because you were implying a negative effect. But the SSTT feels great!!

ramos
12-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Perhaps this could be worded a bit better. The SSTT does have an effect on drivability...it improves it! I said no effect because you were implying a negative effect. But the SSTT feels great!!

I did mean negative effect, yes.. I never thought it would make the car feel better :dunno: just faster..

Does it really feel better and smoother ? Care to elaborate?

Eurobahn
12-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Well of course I am biased but I find when driving our test car that it seems much smoother on power delivery than stock. And we have heard from dozens of customers who say the same :)

Jeff
Eurobahn

{Call for Xmas Specials}

White05X3
12-07-2007, 11:59 AM
Not necessarily smoother, but more responsive even at partial throttle.

ramos
12-07-2007, 12:10 PM
The big question now is:

SSTT Vs. Dinan Reflash..

Savings Vs. Warranty !!

ramos
12-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Not necessarily smoother, but more responsive even at partial throttle.

Which of your cars do you have it? The MT or the AT?

Eurobahn
12-07-2007, 02:20 PM
The big question now is:

SSTT Vs. Dinan Reflash..

Savings Vs. Warranty !!

What warranty are you referring too? Dinan has no warranty agreement with BMW any longer. Also The Turbo Tuner is being sold by some BMW dealers including Brecht BMW in your neck of the woods in Escondido :) You can pick it up right in the parts department.

Jeff
Eurobahn

reb03
12-07-2007, 05:33 PM
I find the smoother than stock comments amusing. There is no way it is smoother than stock. In fact, I feel the power is more abrupt than stock with far more torque coming on at low revs. Just my opinion but no way is it smoother than stock. How about just more power everywhere with a stock-like torque curve. Sound about right?

White05X3
12-08-2007, 08:41 AM
Which of your cars do you have it? The MT or the AT?

It is on the MT. The LAST thing my wife needs on her AT is MORE POWER...:yikes:

335i Driver
12-08-2007, 11:32 AM
The big question now is:

SSTT Vs. Dinan Reflash..

Savings Vs. Warranty !!

Someone please help me out here, but if the TT is completely undetectable and can easily installed/removed how can it void the warranty? I believe the only thing dinan guarantees it that it will not void the factory warranty and I believe that's the agreement between BMw and dinan.

Brisk
12-09-2007, 08:52 AM
the SSTT is great. the power is still smooth like stock, but of course if u punch it in manual mode it is a bit more push in your gut being the unsmooth part from the extra power.

i daily drive my car alot and it works awesome. smooth and u cant even tell its there. the MPG is basically stock i cant tell a difference.

you will be happy with it.
here is this for your help.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1600803&postcount=1

bunnies
12-09-2007, 06:26 PM
What warranty are you referring too? Dinan has no warranty agreement with BMW any longer. Also The Turbo Tuner is being sold by some BMW dealers including Brecht BMW in your neck of the woods in Escondido :) You can pick it up right in the parts department.

Jeff
Eurobahn

Question. Do you know if in addition to selling the part do they also install it? If so how much are they charging for it. I know I read the price somewhere else, but dont remember off the top of my head.

ramos
12-31-2007, 12:54 PM
Shameless bump.. How about some more responses?

Eurobahn
01-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Bump bump shameless bump

Happy New Year!

SJAPoc
03-20-2008, 07:24 AM
Anyone install the SSTT during ED after break-in 1,000 miles? Good idea? Alpine roads would be a good test track!

Desiboy
03-20-2008, 03:09 PM
I'd say go for it, but I'd take it out before you drop you car off, just to be on the safe side.

SJAPoc
03-20-2008, 07:31 PM
I'd say go for it, but I'd take it out before you drop you car off, just to be on the safe side.

You think... :angel:

Desiboy
03-20-2008, 07:54 PM
You think... :angel:

Heheh, lest the customs officer have a stupid fast ride courtesy of your generosity ;)

Eurobahn
03-21-2008, 10:42 AM
:) Well most likely they will load the transport version of the software into the car when you drop it off at the end of ED. Then when the car gets to the states they reload the normal software so no hot rodding at the ports!

But in fact we have sold lots of Turbo Tuners to folks who are going over to do ED!

Jeff
Eurobahn

SJAPoc
03-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Jeff... is SSTT coming out with ver. 2.0? If so, when? Give us the scoop, please :bigpimp:

Matt_UKTX
04-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Has anyone used the SSTT on a 535i? If so, how was it?

afram113
04-29-2008, 05:39 PM
so if you take the sstt out before service is there anyway for bmw to find out that you have installed it

Eurobahn
04-29-2008, 10:05 PM
so if you take the sstt out before service is there anyway for bmw to find out that you have installed it

No they can't tell you had it in the car :) then you just put it back in after service and you are back up to speed.

Jeff
Eurobahn
(ask about special bimmerfest pricing)

grkmec
05-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Jeff, is there a V2 coming?

Eurobahn
05-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Jeff, is there a V2 coming?

We hope so, split second is still working hard on it. They stopped working on it while we were testing the SSTT on the newest diagnostic software. But now that we are finished with that they are back working on it :rofl:

Jeff
Eurobahn

StarrDlux
05-26-2008, 11:47 AM
dinan's high price tag includes a matching base warranty for powertrian damage and consequential damages.

plus it runs more boost i think 13.8 with oil cooler.

pretty straight up there. you have no guarantee of future dme upgrades being able to detect the mods.

With dinan you are registered with bmw (vin #) to boot but they will stand behind their warranty if you don't muck around and put other (non-dinan parts) on.

It may be elitist the whole dinan thing but man if SSTT had an optional warranty protection policy for $$$.00 more alot of people would scoop that up.

Eurobahn
05-26-2008, 01:45 PM
dinan's high price tag includes a matching base warranty for powertrian damage and consequential damages.

plus it runs more boost i think 13.8 with oil cooler.

pretty straight up there. you have no guarantee of future dme upgrades being able to detect the mods.

With dinan you are registered with bmw (vin #) to boot but they will stand behind their warranty if you don't muck around and put other (non-dinan parts) on.

It may be elitist the whole dinan thing but man if SSTT had an optional warranty protection policy for $$$.00 more alot of people would scoop that up.

We are actually looking into that, along with getting the SSTT CARB approved! Even Dinan won't pass emissions. The problem with insurance is that we would want a reputable insurance carrier to bond the program. Dinan self insures and if something happens to them your warranty is useless.

Jeff
Eurobahn

StarrDlux
05-29-2008, 08:57 PM
i'd like to see a dial for stock (behaviour/bypass),maybe +1psi, then standard go-fast mode.

if the bypass was done right and there was no reason to look; you could just drive it in as-is.

Put a sticker on it that says LO-JACK; lol.

Desiboy
05-29-2008, 10:44 PM
i'd like to see a dial for stock (behaviour/bypass),maybe +1psi, then standard go-fast mode.

if the bypass was done right and there was no reason to look; you could just drive it in as-is.

Put a sticker on it that says LO-JACK; lol.

From what I understand, all it does is really create extra boost under pressure. I know it's a vial oversimplification, but really, when I drive in normal driving, I don't notice a difference, it's like it's "off". The extra kick comes in when I really push it and I notice because instead of just my normal sh!t eating grin driving my 335i, my face hurts because I'm smiling so much.

Eurobahn
05-30-2008, 12:08 AM
Well maybe we could put in a clapper device clap on clap off? :)

Jeff
Eurobahn

SJAPoc
05-30-2008, 06:57 AM
Well maybe we could put in a clapper device clap on clap off? :)

Jeff
Eurobahn

That would work for me :D