BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Need help deciding btwn a 2008 X5 3.0 and 4.8

19K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Big "J" 
#1 · (Edited)
Ive narrowed my search down to either a 2008 X5 3.0 or 4.8 cant go wrong with either in my opinion. What are the pros and cons of each model from current owners such as what kind of gas mileage do you get on the highway and city with each model? does the extra 90 horsepower make a major difference in how the truck performs in daily tasks on the road and worth the $6k plus difference btwn both models? Also is the premium sound in either truck worth the $? compared to the standard sound system. Is it really worth it to get the premium package in the 4.8? since most of everything is standard doesnt seem like you get much on this package in the 4.8 compared to the 3.0 Is the technology package really worth the extra money compared to just getting the navigation as a stand alone option? the navigation is a must have for me. And what are the essential must have options on each model and why? On the 3.0 I would def get the premium package. maybe premium sound, def navigation as a stand alone feature but maybe technology package, and def heated front seats. On the 4.8 I would get the premium package possibly, def navigation as a stand alone option but maybe the technology package, maybe the premium sound package. and def heated front seats. Thanks and looking forward to feedback from current or future owners.

#2 ·
Gas mileage: the 4.8 is a guzzler. You get a lot more power and it is noticeable, but until it is broken in, you get an average of 14.8 (after break in you get 17 avg). Highway 27 and City 15.

Sound: The Premium sound is much better than stock, but you can spend the $$ aftermarket and have it go farther if you are a music aficionado.

Difference in HP: If you drive highway you will tell the difference. if you drive city and need to punch it to get into a lane, you will tell a big difference. I wouldn't trade mine, but boy does it eat gas!

Premium packages: I have it and would get it again. Packages is where car manufacturers make most of their profit. They aren't worth the money, but I like the features, so I grumble and pay. For sure get the heated seats. If you park in tight places, the folding mirrors are great (remember the e70 is a WIDE truck!) Navigation is a must, since after market units don't integrate well and portable units are thief magnets. If you have passengers often, the rear climate controls are a good idea. Everyone (including me) will tell you that the comfort seats are worth it. The thing to remember about combining packages is that you lose some value because you will pay for things you don't get, for example, if you order the sports pkg AND comfort seats, you will pay for BOTH and just get comfort seats.

Hope this helps.

#3 ·
3.0 or 4.8

If getting a BMW x5 why get a 3.0? You will be disappointed. Yes the 4.8 eats up more gas, but if you are worried about gas mileage and not the whole driving experience than why get a BMW at all? I have a 4.4 and I could not imagine having less power than the 4.4 has. It is a big vehicle. The 3.0 does not have the power to allow you to drive the x5 the way it needs to be driven.

#4 ·
If getting a BMW x5 why get a 3.0? You will be disappointed. Yes the 4.8 eats up more gas, but if you are worried about gas mileage and not the whole driving experience than why get a BMW at all? I have a 4.4 and I could not imagine having less power than the 4.4 has. It is a big vehicle. The 3.0 does not have the power to allow you to drive the x5 the way it needs to be driven.
+1

#5 ·
3.0 vs 4.8

I have premium, premium sound, comfort access and sat radio. It is personal though. The premium sound is better but the glove compartment CD I do not use as I listen to SAT radio.
Aftermarket can get you better value but I also like to know it is all integrated with the I drive and screen.

I would get a 4.8 with less than a 3.0 loaded.

#6 ·
There's no doubt that the 4.8 will get you where you want to go faster with more HP and torque. V8's tend to resell better as well.

However, I have the 3.0 and like it very well. Generally I'm off the line at stop lights quicker than most and can pass other cars relatively quick when needed. For the big body of the X5 the 3.0 is probably a little under powered but, manages just fine in my book. Gas consumption is a little better than a V8.

Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.