PDA

View Full Version : buying x5

ig35
12-08-2007, 10:26 PM
hi everyone, my moms deciding on a car to buy and she asked me to help her find the best deal. i dont know a whole lot about cars and what to research but i thought maybe you guys could help me just a little, kinda like a start-off momentum, on researching a car. just a few questions:

1. what other cars are in the bmw x5's`class? name anything please
2. what are the bmw x5's problems (mechanical, electrical issues, etc.)
3. what are your opinions on the x5 and why did you get it in the first place

any answers or comments are greatly appreciated.

thank you guys!

jasonrhcastle
12-09-2007, 08:16 AM
Well, we looked at many different vehicles besides the X5.

2008 ML550
2008 Acura MDX Tech/Sport
2008 Audi 4.2 Prem S-Line
2008 Volvo XC90 V8
2008 Range Rover Sport SC

The Mercedes is nice, about $10000 less equally equipped, but the financing and residuals actually make it cost more. Also, COMMAND system is, IMHO, hard to use. No iPod track list displayed on the screen when playing from the iPod. No leather unless you pay almost $2000 for it, and bluetooth costs $400 as a dealer add-on. Lots of raw power (382 HP and almost 400 lb-ft torque). Handles less impressively than the X5.

Acura is much cheaper than the X5. Rates are very attractive. Handles well, lots of power from the 6 cylinder. However, less than the X5 (of course it has a V8 though). Interior (read seats, cabin and most of dash) is very nice. Plush and soft. I do not like the Acura Nav and controller interface. Also, the bluetooth interface is a little clunky. No Sirius, only XM. Display is nice and large, but kind of grainy.

Audi is super nice. Lots of power. Cush interior and cabin. The S-Line has aluminum trim which is HAWT. Paddle shifters are nice. The one we drove had the 21 inch all seasons which give it an impressive stance. Power is very similar to the X5. Handling, of course, is great but not a BMW. What I mean from that is that is has little body role, but not that feeling of "being on rails". Bose standard is nice. Seats are comfortable. Power tailgate standard. MMI is very similar to iDrive, and the center cluster information display is nice and in colour too. Bigger rear cargo area than the X5. Price is about $5000 cheaper than an equally equipped X5. However, Audi's residuals are about 50% on 36 months versus 60% on the X5, which makes the payments (on a lease) about the same. Really, really consider this vehicle.

Volvo....It's a ford. Sorry, no offense to Volvo owners. I have a friend who has one that is a year old, and the interior seats are cracking and wrinkled. The ride is nice. Power out of the V8 is very adequate. Just not my cup of tea. The European Delivery on the Volvo was the reason we were looking.

Range Rover is a very sexy vehicle. Lots of power out of the Supercharged version. The interior is plush, but does have some plastic to it. It is actually more expensive than the X5. It has a smaller interior and cargo area. Driving was nice, handling not bad, but again not a BMW in the handling department. Nav interface is very clunky in comparison to iDrive or the Audi MMI.

Hope this helps. These, of course, are just my thoughts and opinions. If you have questions, let me know.

AzNMpower32
12-09-2007, 09:00 AM
The Acura MDX and the X5 are likely the closest competitors. Depending on the version of the X5, There are also the aforementioned Land Rovers, MB, Volvos, and Audis.

The MDX comes close, and my uncle just purchased one because it offers a lot more toys for a lot less money than a X5 3.0si. However, I felt the huge 3.7 liter V6 in the MDX was a bit coarse, a bit soft in the lower rev range, and the interior was pretty cheap. You get what you pay for.

zen68
12-09-2007, 09:44 AM
See inserted comments below:

1. what other cars are in the bmw x5's`class? name anything please

Acura MDX: Test drove one. It is a bit faster but doesn't handle as well as the X5 (I'd like to push the car hard around the corner). The dashboard is too clutter for my taste and the exterior design looks like a jelly bean. Overall, it's a very good car for your money.

Mercedes Benz ML350 and GL 450: Both are luxurious but handling is vague and the reliability scares me away.

Lexus GX: reliability is top notch but it drives like a Lexus, enough said.

2. what are the bmw x5's problems (mechanical, electrical issues, etc.)

My recent experience with BMW is very good. My old 330i and current 550i have not have any problem so far, some minor issues but the warranty took care of it (only have the X5 for three weeks so I don't know)
In general, modern cars are better engineered and designed so they tend to hold up better over time.

3. what are your opinions on the x5 and why did you get it in the first place

The X5 is more balance between performance and luxury. The interior is nicely executed. I-drive takes some learning but you'll get comfortable with it after a couple days.

Since this will be your mom's car, it's best to let her test drive. What you/we like might not what she's looking for. Heck, my wife loves her Lexus (RX350) while I hate it.

ig35
12-25-2007, 05:58 PM
ive been searching and found some threads on this but does anyone have any other info on this: any major problems associated with the bmw x5? could you also state the year if it specifically is linked to the problems.

thanks for helping me out guys!

EdDelacroix
12-26-2007, 09:18 AM
X5 is the s&%$! Get it for mom!

ig35
12-27-2007, 10:38 AM
X5 is the s&%$! Get it for mom!

I would! but she wants the details first

01Byte
12-27-2007, 11:06 AM
I would! but she wants the details first

Look, it's really simple.

Sit down with your mom and ask her what kind of features she is looking for.

Then, tell her the X5 has them all... :rofl:

jakalino
12-31-2007, 01:36 AM
a x5 is great just sexy