PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth getting the protective coating on the car?

Tony1
12-10-2007, 10:15 PM
The dealer told me about a product they can spray on the car called image coating that covers the body and windows protecting it from dust, dirt, bird droppings. Comes with a 10 year warranty and states that the car will not need waxing. The charge for the application for this product is $695. Has anyone had this done? What is your experience with it? Is it worth it?

rboseley
12-11-2007, 04:17 AM
The product sounds like Xzilon, which I had applied for $695.00 I was NOT going to go for any such product (especially at that price) until they rolled up a 760i (black like mine - except mine is a 3). It was stunning. SO, in that few minutes when you are seeing yourself in your new BMW - all good sense goes away.

Now, a few months later, my car is so easy to wash it isn't funny. Even a heavy rain will look like a cheap wash. However, I do consider myself stupid for buying the Xzilon. I researched the product (after the sale of course) and didn't find anything amazing. NO product that goes on in an hour is worth that much. Just don't make the mistake of looking at a black one with a fresh application.

Bill-SD
12-11-2007, 05:06 AM
The dealer told me about a product they can spray on the car called image coating that covers the body and windows protecting it from dust, dirt, bird droppings. Comes with a 10 year warranty and states that the car will not need waxing. The charge for the application for this product is $695. Has anyone had this done? What is your experience with it? Is it worth it?

No, it's just another way for the dealer to make money.

DdotRoq
12-11-2007, 07:33 AM
No, it's just another way for the dealer to make money.

He is right. This is just another way for the dealer to make money. I worked in a dealership for 3 years, and this is just a nice wax. You wont notice a thing 2 months later.

thekurgan
12-11-2007, 07:33 AM
Never, you're better off doing it yourself with much better products.

Snowkone
12-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Right on.. get a good wax job every 6 months and you're straight!

Penforhire
12-11-2007, 09:00 AM
Snake oil, at least relative to the price. Go to a professional detailer in your area and get their similar product applied for half or less.

roadkillrob
12-11-2007, 09:41 AM
total BS - don't waste your money - they make like 600% mark up on that stuff and it is just a paint sealant you can buy and apply yourself for 50 bucks from companies like Simoniz. If you want to spend 600 bucks to protect your car, get a clear bra, it's still a bit of a rip, but definitly saves the front of your car - I am happy with the car I had done a few years ago with the clear bra - would do it again for sure!

TTG
12-11-2007, 10:14 AM
I had Permaplate applied to red car and it totally looked orange after wards in comparison to cars with the same color..... This is a total BS..... Zaino will treat you just right.

motion
12-12-2007, 08:46 AM
waste of money for that stuff. No different from the high quality sealants and waxes. All cars look good with a coat of this stuff and when clean. Spend your money on the clear bra instead. Just bought my son a 335 in blk and had the whole hood done along with the usuals (fenders, mirror backs, lights, and the front nose). I consider this more of an investment as it saved all of my cars from regular 1-2 yr repaint.

Nikolas
12-12-2007, 09:18 AM
Total BS and a waste of money. You can get the same paint sealant product from Griot's garage for about $20.

ffej
12-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Agree that the "protective coating" is actualy protection for dealer profits :)
The clear bra, in my experience, though, is well worth the money spent. The cars I've seen with vs without it have drastic differences in front end appearance. Chips or not, is pretty much it. Now, you have to live with a very fine line that's noticeable on inspection, but ...

merklebob
12-12-2007, 11:04 AM
ddogrog is right my nieve was the dealer prep supervisor and said the same thing. the wax costs 25 per car and 1 hour to put on. ther rest is dealer profit. there was a clear finish that a after market rust preventer company[ in the east and cant remember the name] puts on thats really good at about 1/2 the cost.

Bill-SD
12-12-2007, 03:00 PM
waste of money for that stuff. No different from the high quality sealants and waxes. All cars look good with a coat of this stuff and when clean. Spend your money on the clear bra instead. Just bought my son a 335 in blk and had the whole hood done along with the usuals (fenders, mirror backs, lights, and the front nose). I consider this more of an investment as it saved all of my cars from regular 1-2 yr repaint.

+1

noho335
12-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Be sure to cover all of your chairs and couches with plastic as well. Also, use plastic runners on your carpet in all high traffic areas.

ScrumDown
12-12-2007, 10:40 PM
I think they outlawed automatically including it in Florida and a lot of states. Rather than "opting out" of it you have to affirmatively "opt in". I can't believe dealers still to try peddling thie crap. Seems like they could come up with a more creative useless product to peddle

bunnies
12-12-2007, 10:53 PM
Agreed with the other posts here. I worked at a dealership bout 7 years back. Same type of thing they tried to sell every customer there.

I guess though, when you look at it from their perspective, if you can get 1-2 people a week to buy it, that is a HUGE profit margin for them by simply asking a single question. :dunno: Still doesnt change the fact that it is virutally worthless. :thumbup: