PDA

View Full Version : Dead Battery

bmwx5jackson
12-13-2007, 06:02 PM
Has anyone experienced a continually draining battery on their X5 2007. We have less than 4,000 miles on the car and have had nothing but problems. I have already posted about the car refusing to come out of park. The dealer had it towed and replaced the shift. Now the battery keeps dying. It spent a week at the shop and they claim everything is fixed, however, the battery light keeps coming on and isnt getting a full charge

Help

krburrell
12-14-2007, 09:54 PM
Having the same problem with my 2007 X5. 3,500 miles on the car. I have not had a chance to take it to the dealer yet.

Hniel
12-15-2007, 04:35 AM
Mine was totally dead only once, which is bad enough as it no doubt will happen when you really the vehicle. No reason why it went dead but called roadside and a boost started it. Hasn't happened again and this is a month later. What totally p..sed me off was dealers attitude, oh we'll pick it up, two hours away, but you have to rent your own drive or take a bus or train to get here. My old dealer(also 2 hours away) floated me a loaner when they picked up my M3. Anyway it hasn't reoccured. I think last time I buy a BMW as we have no local dealer. Hniel 07 4.8

chris1
12-24-2007, 12:37 PM
I am having the similar problems, but mine was more define to trouble shoot. My battery went first and 4 days latter my alternator went. When this happins I noticed my electriacl system going crazy. Just relax and trouble shoot one at a time. It does sound like your alternator starting to go. Check the voltage on your terminals with a multi meter when the truck is running they should be around 13.5vdc or higher if not your not getting a full charge. Also check with the "BMW TEC:thumbup::thumbup:" here in the forums he is a GOD with BMW problems.

bmwx5jackson
12-29-2007, 05:47 PM
Well its now approaching two weeks since the dealership has had our 2007 BMW X5. They have been calling everyday to tell us that they are in constant communication with BMW of North America and are working to resolve the problem. This is the third time our car has been in the shop since we purchased it on July 30, 2007. At some point I am hoping someone will be able to determine the problem, however, the car has so many electrical moving parts I am starting to wonder if BMW even knows what to do.

Hope to see the car again someday. Not so sure I would ever buy another BMW

jj2000
01-05-2008, 09:41 AM
I got mine in Detroit (2007 X5)...a demo with 6000+ miles. Two weeks since import...the battery started acting up...I used jumper kind of every other day. Now, 5 weeks ltr...I need a jumper + booster pack together to get it going. It stays in the garage more than on the roads. The dealer in Canada did check once (22 Dec)...battery failed test, but he wanted to have the car over nigh to run some tests before replacing. The next available date is 15 Jan...thats what is called BWM class of service I guess (my first BWM experience). Lucky, I never got rid of my Honda Odessy so I have a way to earn my living...you need a spare as a owner of a X5. (I mean a reliable spare - A Japanese make). If I get it started, then I drive with a power pack in the trunk. What a way to own a BMW. If anybody has seen the end of this issue, kindly update so all of us dealing with this issue can get some relief. Many talk of a new program, a new Tech. Service Bulletin, changing batteries...etc..etc. But, BMW seems not interested in finding a final fix.

jj2000
01-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Hello Everybody! Thanks for all your posts.

I am new to Bimmers as well as to this forum. Sorry my first post was a kind of a whine...but, having a 2007 X5 unable to roll...sucks. I now go after C'Tire looking for a better power pack to keep in my trunk. 300Amp...did not work well/ returned and got a 600Amp...not enough. Now looking up for a 800Amp- 28Ah power pack. What a shame. Now the bat is totally dead. I have to wait till 15 Jan to even get it attended.

hunterz4
01-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Build dates anyone? What is the longest any of you has been out of service. Sounds like BMW customer service may have to get involved if you are off the road too long.

ejc003
01-07-2008, 08:18 AM
Hi guys-
I had the exact same problem. It was one of the fans or what the dealer calls the "final stage resistor".

I took it to 3 different shops trying to figure out why the battery kept dying on my 2001 X5. Nobody could figure it out. Luckily, I found a forum on it after my X5 was in the shop for a week. I forwarded it my dealer, and coincidentally (wink) they concluded it was the "final stage resistor" coming on after my car had been shut off.

Before replacing your battery, have the FSR replaced... It's much cheaper and I guarantee your problem will be solved.

ejc003
Philadelphia, PA

Kel
01-12-2008, 06:16 AM
When trhe final stage resister comes on after shutting off_---does it make any noise or signal? how does one tell such problem?

chris1
01-20-2008, 12:15 AM
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad:
I know the feeling of not being able to roll in your X5. Mine has been on a tow truck and in the garage more than on the road. My problems are similar to all of yours. After replacing my alternator, battery, starter I still have the problem of my battery draining somehow. What I do notice is that when I shut off my truck it sounds like the fans are still on but on low speed. So I will turn the truck back on manually shut of the heater and then shut my truck off again. But I can still here the fans on low????? What the F!@$k. I am at a loss and don't know what else to change or check. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP.:bawling:

YYZ-X5
01-20-2008, 05:40 PM
I read about this being a feature not a fault. Here's what I found out:
BMW has an option where if you set a timer it will run the vent system for a determined time. Perhaps you somehow set that timer and it's just doing it's job. Check your manual. It will spell out how to enable/disable that option. For example on page 112 of the 2002 manual it states:

You can use this system to ventilate the interior and lower its temperature, using
the blower of the automatic climate control.
The independent ventilation system is operated via the Multi-Information
display (MID), refer to page 85 or via the onboard computer, refer to the separate
Owner's Manual.
You can set two different times for the system to start; it will remain active for
30 minutes. You can also switch it on and off directly. Since the system uses
a substantial amount of electrical current, you should refrain from
switching it on twice in succession without allowing the battery to be
recharged in normal operation between use.
When a preselected activation time is set, the independent ventilation system
is operational at outside temperatures above +60.7 (+16.6), or by direct
switch activation. It cannot be switched on when the vehicle is moving.
The air emerges via the vent outlets for the upper body. Therefore, the vent
outlets must be open for the system to operate.

I hope this helps

j7c
01-21-2008, 05:47 AM
I park the car up to 12 hours, no problem. I f the car is parked for longer than 12 hours, ( it appears ), the battery will discharge. When I go to start the car, first I notice the head lamps are on dim, ( the light switch is in the off, "0", position ), the alarm system indicator is not functioning, ( that little red light under the rear view mirror is not flashing ), and the doors wont unlock with the remote. The battery is dead. I need to jump start. Not to be rude, but, WTF. This is supposed to be the ultimate machine. Oh yeah, ultimate driving machine, but parking, your on your own. I found a post in the 530xiT forum. It mentions an IIRC Radio Module "waking the car up". Doesn't BMW have a definitive answer as to why something like this should happen with a $ 30,000 car . :) Please assist.

bmwx5jackson
01-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Ok Have posted three other times. The battery continually dies and is going back to the dealership for the fourth time. They expect to keep it for a week however that usually means two weeks.

Does anyone know what recourse if any the buyer has with BMW. I am so unimpressed with this brand new x5.

At what point should we get rid of the car and take an enormous loss because the dealer can't fix the car and BMW of North AMerica doesn't care in the slightest.

The Ultimate Driving Machine? Hardly:mad:

mclaren
01-24-2008, 06:34 PM
Ok Have posted three other times. The battery continually dies and is going back to the dealership for the fourth time. They expect to keep it for a week however that usually means two weeks.

Does anyone know what recourse if any the buyer has with BMW. I am so unimpressed with this brand new x5.

At what point should we get rid of the car and take an enormous loss because the dealer can't fix the car and BMW of North AMerica doesn't care in the slightest.

The Ultimate Driving Machine? Hardly:mad:

Lemon law.
:p

vsorlie
01-26-2008, 05:12 PM
I'm looking at buying an '02 X5 3.0 Steptronic. It's at a local small lot on consignment. Have visited the lot twice in last two weeks, and both times the battery's been dead. Car has been there for a while. Second visit they jumped the car and I drove it, and it's a strong low mileage car - 45k miles. Am planning to take it to my local BIMRS independent for a pre-purchase inspection. Any comments?

YYZ-X5
01-28-2008, 10:22 AM
You hear lots of reports of battery problems but remember, you're only hearing about problems, people who don't have problems don't post questions. My experience has been good so far. I have a 2000 4.4 with the original battery. That being said, these cars use a lot of electrical power so a good battery is essential. I'd recommend you try the car again to see if the battery held its charge after you drove it.

Most people would recommend replacing the battery at about the age of the car you're looking at. To be on the safe side get them to knock $300 of the price and you're covered. At $300 they're expensive too, although relatively easy to fit.

Doug!
02-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Hay all I got a question, if the battery is died and all the doors were locked how do you open the tail gate to get to the battery??:dunno:

Doug!
02-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Never mind,, I figured it out..:rofl:

cross5x
02-03-2008, 08:09 PM
I hope this doesnt happen on my X5...its just got a little over 200 miles on it.