PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on the new E60 and BMW's direction

Belushi
04-03-2003, 06:51 PM
Personally I think the car is attractive and has some serious potential to look pretty mean once it is dressed up for the M version. I didn't like the E65 in the beginning but it has grown on me and now I actually like it. I stood next to it and walked all around it and it truly does grow on you. If you take the time to look at one and be open minded by not being attached to past designs, IMHO you will actually see it as being unique, aggressive and beautiful. Perhaps this is what will happen to observers of the E60 as well when it becomes available.

I think BMW is simply trying to take a different approach to design and Chris Bangle is definately changing what we the public have come to expect from BMW. It is as if they are trying to distance themselves from the mainstream way of thinking when it comes to design where everybody including Japenese, American etc... all seem to be becoming so aerodynamically efficient that they will eventually look the same. Bangles' trunks and eye designs and cut lines I think make BMW stand out in a good way. The cars look aggressive and elegant at the same time thus incorporating the fact that BMW is a luxury brand with a sporty edge to it.

I don't mean to offend MBenz owners, but their designs IMHO are way too conservative and I believe they are like that because perhaps they do not want to alienate the older generations that can afford their cars since they might be less likely to adapt to a radical new style. I don't mean to generalize but I can't help but think of this when I look at them. They are not inspiring to me.

BMW is taking a new direction with the design of their cars, but I doubt they will change the spirit of their heritage, that is how the car drives and feels in your hands and the rest of your body (especially that place that makes you smile without you knowing it). Perhaps Bangle is taking BMWs conservative appearance and moderninzing it to reflect the image/spirit of these cars which I'm sure we can all agree as being the "the ultimate driving machine".

copied and pasted my post from the general discussion in here to hear your thoughts on this new design.

*** :D On a different note my 530i is about a week into production. The offer still stands for anyone who would like to have a drink on me when I pick up my baby. I'm bringing the bottles of Ouzo to Cutter motors - Greco leave the freezing cold behind and come to sunny California with the family "ande bravo":D

Cheers,
Peter

roxnadz
04-04-2003, 03:21 PM
My take on this: I think BMW did too much, too soon.

With the 3 series, the evolution from E36 to E46 was a gradual, modest one. The first E46s looked almost exactly like E36s, they were just rounded out a bit and had smoother, sleeker lines. As time has gone on, they've added more of the sharper angles and points to the E46. You can tell the difference between a 1999 E46 and a 2002 E46, however, the differences are subtle.

With the E65, I think they tried to cram too much innovation and too much design down people's throats. The Bangle Butt, the wonky I-Drive, all contributed to the car leaving a bad taste in people's mouths, especiall after having to deal with the First Year woes.

Same deal with the E60. WAY too much of a departure from the E39. I'm sorry, folks, but I just don't see how it's a natural progression. Where did the E60 pick up the Dame Edna (http://www.dame-edna.com) eyes from? What's with the cat's eye tails in the back? Thankfully they fixed the Bangle-butt this time, but what's the deal with those silly reflectors on the rear valance? The wheels are hardly striking (even the lowly Style 32 whips the pants off of anything I've seen so far on an E60), and the interior is bland, hardly welcoming and barely intuitive.

They've taken away the driver's tilt and made it a "car for everyone." There are plenty of "cars for everyone" running about the streets and wasting gas; I don't think that the new 5 and 7 Series had to join that lot.

But BMW is buying into the (not entirely insane) notion that BMW buyers are a dime a dozen, and if a purist doesn't like the car, who fuggin cares? 5 others will happily wait in line for one.

I'll likely reluctantly end up buying one, too...after the wheels on my E39 fall off. But I am one of the few that this design is NOT growing on.

http://www.roxnadz.com/images/bmwboron.jpg
E39 r0x0rZ j00 4LL!!1!

Just my few cents.

Belushi
04-04-2003, 03:40 PM
I love the looks of this car. Even though I have a 530 on order and will hopefully be taking delivery in early May, I think things were timed pretty well in that I can drive a current 530i for the next few years and then slide right into a 545 or even an M5 by then.... to dream .... :)

Jeff_DML
04-04-2003, 04:32 PM
I have gotten used to the E65 but I think it is still ugly. I think I read a quote that bangle made that he said he made it that way just to be different. Sounds like a stupid reason to me. I guess my biggest complain is the butt.
The E60 looks much better to me, basically E65 style made to be decent looking. It is growing on me every time I see it too.

Anyways, to me E65 ugly and still ugly, E60 I think most people will like by the time you see it in the flesh.

Jeff

P.S.

I thought the bangel butt was supposed to increase trunk space? The pic of the E60 trunk does not look big.

Dan
04-04-2003, 06:26 PM
I can not believe how ugly the E60 is. The E39 was a beautiful, well proportioned automobile. Unfortunately, the E60 is fugly, just like the E65 and the Z4. Bangle has ruined BMW, and they have lost me as a customer as long as they continue to build shockingly ugly vehicles.

Greco
04-04-2003, 08:06 PM
Trust me Pete, after this weekend I'll be seriously thinking about it. Starting tonight we have alow pressure system dumping around 12 inches of the white stuff on us. This low has terrorized half of Canada already. Oh well, its a good thing I haven't packed in the shovel yet. On a good note it will make my hockey game tomorrow afternoon feel more "at home" than it did last week.

I'll post a pic for you all tomorrow while its still coming down..

Patrick
04-07-2003, 09:54 AM
I think that I have to wait until, 1) I see it person, and, 2) drive it.

I was shocked at the E65 - from what I had seen here and on the net. Then I saw it person (745i) ... drool ... and then I got to drive it. :yikes: Amazing!

Granted, it is a complete departure from the E39 - probably even bigger than the difference between the E34 and E39 - but I think that it will be a fantastic BMW to drive. Wait until the M and Touring versions are released. I think that people/buyers will be demanding both in 18 months.

Just my take, and I am a very happy E39 owner!