PDA

View Full Version : Runflats really tick me off!

Boomer69
12-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Really starting to regret the runflat tires on my X5!. We have third-row seats so no spare. After 4500 miles a slow leak developed in one and they say it has to be replaced (thank goodness it didn't just go flat). OK, Tulsa isn't exactly nowhere, but the dealer had no tires and would take 3 days to get one. Went to Bridgestone/Firestone - none in Oklahoma or neighboring states so had to order - - again a 3-day wait. Now turns out the truck didn't bring the tire so three more days wait! But I do have Road Hazard so the $304 for a new tire will be covered; but a week wait is more than goofy.

Man, we're taking a long road trip next week so now looks like I need to buy a wheel and spare to carry, much less lose all that space hauling them around. But sure don't want to sit around a motel near Nowhere, USA waiting for a tire to be shipped in (and finding some Goober who knows how to change it without ruining my warranty).

Give me the old ways where you had a spare, or a tire that could be fixed, or even a tire that could be bought just about anywhere.

Wondering who else has had bad experiences with them, and what you did or if you had a better solution than going with the spare idea.

rh71
12-15-2007, 11:51 PM
they should really make the RFTs an option at purchase time.

TexasBMW
12-17-2007, 01:53 PM
So, I'm getting ready to order an X5. Do I opt for 3rd row seating, or a spare? I want the third row, but may need the spare more often! I'm often in remote locations, and this is a wakeup call for RF availability!
Thanks!

Really starting to regret the runflat tires on my X5!. We have third-row seats so no spare. After 4500 miles a slow leak developed in one and they say it has to be replaced (thank goodness it didn't just go flat). OK, Tulsa isn't exactly nowhere, but the dealer had no tires and would take 3 days to get one. Went to Bridgestone/Firestone - none in Oklahoma or neighboring states so had to order - - again a 3-day wait. Now turns out the truck didn't bring the tire so three more days wait! But I do have Road Hazard so the $304 for a new tire will be covered; but a week wait is more than goofy.

Man, we're taking a long road trip next week so now looks like I need to buy a wheel and spare to carry, much less lose all that space hauling them around. But sure don't want to sit around a motel near Nowhere, USA waiting for a tire to be shipped in (and finding some Goober who knows how to change it without ruining my warranty).

Give me the old ways where you had a spare, or a tire that could be fixed, or even a tire that could be bought just about anywhere.

Wondering who else has had bad experiences with them, and what you did or if you had a better solution than going with the spare idea.

sdbrandon
12-17-2007, 02:06 PM
If anyone has ever purchased a new BMW model, they will know the tires are hard to come by the first couple years regardless if they are run flat or not. BMW partners with tire companies to come up with odd ball sizes to ensure the tire company does not have to compete for awhile.

The tire shortage issue is not because they are run flats. It is because they are a unique size with a sole source at the moment.

You would be in the same predicamnet even without run flats.

If you want to avoid this issue, pick a BMW model that has tire sizes that are used on a lot more cars as they will be readily available.

Please do not think you can go buy some new car model with a one-off tire size and expect them to be stocked everywhere.

zen68
12-17-2007, 02:16 PM
So, I'm getting ready to order an X5. Do I opt for 3rd row seating, or a spare? I want the third row, but may need the spare more often! I'm often in remote locations, and this is a wakeup call for RF availability!
Thanks!

I bought mine without the third row since I will get rid of RF as soon as the weather gets warmer. Check out this setup:

http://www.x5world.com/x5-e70-forum/40738-x5-3-0sd-m-sport-21-style-128-wheels-arrived.html

Standard tires are superior to RF as far as ride/handling is concerned.

rh71
12-17-2007, 02:22 PM
keep in mind having the 3rd row affects the comfort quality of your 2nd row. From everything I've gathered, I believe it is less plush or less "thick" in the seatbacks.

BTW, I was curious the other day and tirerack has regular X5-size tires in stock, staggered or not too.

dkl
12-18-2007, 10:14 PM
If anyone has ever purchased a new BMW model, they will know the tires are hard to come by the first couple years regardless if they are run flat or not. BMW partners with tire companies to come up with odd ball sizes to ensure the tire company does not have to compete for awhile.

The tire shortage issue is not because they are run flats. It is because they are a unique size with a sole source at the moment.

You would be in the same predicamnet even without run flats.

If you want to avoid this issue, pick a BMW model that has tire sizes that are used on a lot more cars as they will be readily available.

Please do not think you can go buy some new car model with a one-off tire size and expect them to be stocked everywhere.

Good advice for anyone buying a new or almost new BMW. But it's NOT just a couple of years after a models' introduction that it gets easier to find tires, but much longer. I just had to buy tires (staggered 19") for my X5 - 7 years after it's initial introduction and still NO one carried any brand in the proper sizes, even though, there are 5 or 6 companies that make them. Every places I called had to have these tires special ordered (about 3-5 days). Oh well...at least I have a spare run around while the tires are on order :dunno: