PDA

View Full Version : thinking about getting an x5: any pointers?

jvcajita
12-22-2007, 12:03 PM
hello there from the world of e39's! i'm planning to get an x5 (probably) since i cant find a decent touring to replace my recently totaled e39 wagon...i know i should be searching for my questions...but i noticed you guys don't have an FAQ section here...i just wanted to find out, what are the things i should be looking out for when inspecting an e53 on the lot? for example, i make sure i look into the cooling system of the e39 since i know thats the achilles heel of the car...or looking how smooth the clutch is on an e39 m5...are there any recalls i should watch out after? is the gas mileage between an i6 or a v8 really a big difference (knowing i really punch the gas hard) my budget by the way is below 20K.

i'm planning to get this one...by the way...let me know if its a good choice...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=235323298&dealer_id=56903586&car_year=2001&model=X5&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=2000&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=100&marketZipError=false&color2=&search_lang=en&make=BMW&color=BLACK&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceASC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=92883&advanced=y&end_year=2001&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=62

thanks in advance!

Big "J"
12-22-2007, 03:36 PM
Wow... bummer on the wagon.

That's one pretty X5... well taken care of from the looks of it!! Private party selling?

I bought my X5, an 03' w/ a 3.0i in August and have had zero issues. I've read where many newer X5's have had tranny issues, something to do with the output speed sensor going out easily?? Not sure about 01' or 03' issues. Couple things to keep an eye open for are CV boots and brakes.

Good Luck!

jvcajita
12-22-2007, 09:41 PM
its actually at a friends dealership...took it in as a trade...if you don't mind me asking, how much did you get for your x5? and not to sound ignorant, what are CV boots?

Big "J"
12-26-2007, 10:27 AM
I paid about 26k for mine with 48K miles.

CV boots are the rubber accordion looking units for front wheel drive vehicles. Since we have AWD we have CV boots at the front wheels for drive and steering. If dirt gets into the boots the CV joints will bind and cause them to grind and make a lot of noise and eventually fail.

Scott ZHP
12-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Some things... CV boots fail regularly on X5s. X5s also EAT brakes. Window regulators fail. Taillights corrode. Final stage resistors die. Check to be sure the aux fan was replaced under recall. Same for the rear wiper arm. Check to see if original battery. I'd replace the water pump ASAP if original.