PDA

View Full Version : windshield washer fluid reservoir is a block of ice

Xringer
12-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Once the temp drops below 20 degrees around here, the washer fluid is a solid block.

Be aware that your dealer prep (of a pre-owned) might have included adding plain tap water to the reservoir.

I'm waiting for warmer weather so I can drain the reservoir and refill it.

Does anyone know if there is a drain valve on the tank?

Thanks,
Rich

BMW_tech
12-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Once the temp drops below 20 degrees around here, the washer fluid is a solid block.

Be aware that your dealer prep (of a pre-owned) might have included adding plain tap water to the reservoir.

I'm waiting for warmer weather so I can drain the reservoir and refill it.

Does anyone know if there is a drain valve on the tank?

Thanks,
Rich

Here is a diagram but the answer is NO,there is no DRAIN.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=PA93&mospid=47794&btnr=61_1736&hg=61&fg=45

I suggest removing the entire tank and I have a few tips.Do not attempt to remove the level switch,just disconnect the connector.Remove the pump(s) if you cannot disconnect the hose attached to it. Just remove the 10mm. (1) screw and pull the unit up slowly to expose the wiring/connectors/hoses and remove them and pay attention to details because you need to put everything back the way it was.You may activate the rear washer if you hit the switch to activate the front (if you catch my drift).Take this big block of ice to the sink as if it was the Thanksgiving Turkey and "thaw" it out.During removal of the hoses,it may be helpful to borrow the wifes hairdryer if you do not have a heat gun. :thumbup:

bobbyjoe
12-23-2007, 01:11 AM
If your fluid is not filled to the top, perhaps you can just add some methanol or ethanol into your container to lower the freezing point and once that is done to just squirt the fluid from the nozzles (using the car's pump) until it's dry.

I'm pretty sure that windshield washer fluid usually contains a percentage of methanol. So that would work. Alternatively rubbing alcohol (70% isopropanol) will also depress the freezing point.

I read from:
http://ask.metafilter.com/48071/windshield-washer-fluid

that Heet gas line antifreeze is 99% methanol.

Goodluck

Bobert
12-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Have some fun and spray away until it's empty. :p Refill with the good stuff.

Xringer
12-24-2007, 06:26 AM
Did you not notice how BIG that tank is? :(

No drain, but I wonder how those pumps are attached.?.
If they just snap in, perhaps I could snap one out today while it's warm..
I hear it's going to get up to 42 this afternoon!

Plan 'B' is to use a 5 foot piece of plastic hose to siphon it out, when it turns liquid..
If it's too slow in melting, I will add some Vodka to the mix... :)

Thanks Guys,
Happy Holiday!
Rich

Xringer
12-25-2007, 06:03 AM
It was the night before Christmas and as my family knows, I was all prepared with a bucket and hose.

When the X3 showed up, all dirty with cold winter salt, I had to get busy and repair the fault.

Hehehe, it was fast and simple.

I held the hose under the kitchen sink tap and filled it up some. (Holding both ends high).
Took it outside, stuck one end into the tank, quickly lowered the other end with the bucket
In 30 seconds, one gallon was in the bucket. We quickly refilled with the good stuff
and went back inside for Rum and eggnogs.. :)

Happy Holidays!!
Rich

Boile
12-25-2007, 06:08 AM
Did you not notice how BIG that tank is? :(

No drain, but I wonder how those pumps are attached.?.
If they just snap in, perhaps I could snap one out today while it's warm..
I hear it's going to get up to 42 this afternoon!

Plan 'B' is to use a 5 foot piece of plastic hose to siphon it out, when it turns liquid..
If it's too slow in melting, I will add some Vodka to the mix... :)

Thanks Guys,
Happy Holiday!
Rich

Just run the engine to melt it.
And do no use your mouth in that siphon. Washer fluid is extemely toxic.

bobbyjoe
12-25-2007, 11:33 AM
And do no use your mouth in that siphon. Washer fluid is extemely toxic.

I second that. Washer fluid = methanol.
Drinking methanol = going blind.

Seriously.

BMW Bandit
01-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Fun... I would think that BMW had a small heat core in the windshield fluid tank...That sh_t sucks having frozen windshield fluid or maybe thats Extraaaaaaaaaa....