PDA

View Full Version : Tires -- again

EEman
12-24-2007, 02:30 PM
I have done a search and found posts discussing tires -- some helpful, some not so much. Some of the data is kinda old. I also looked at Tire Rack for reviews there.

We have the original Scorpions on my wife's '05 X3 with 39K miles. This is their third winter and we have not had any trouble with traction. We live in Colorado Springs and make frequent trips to Breckenridge to ski. But I am a little concerned about the remaining tread depth (have not measured it, yet) although we have had no problems getting around this year.

I was surprised to see several negative comments about ice and snow traction with the Scorpions and naturally wonder if I could buy a better tire for our climate. Any thoughts?

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and thanks for the help.

Ed Brady

AzNMpower32
12-24-2007, 03:51 PM
I think the Scorpions handle the snow just fine. I dunno where you're reading those posts. As far as M+S tires, the OEM Scorpions are one of the best you can get. If you want to swap wheels by the season, then winter tires will do the trick in the snow/ice better than any M+S tire.

b-y
12-24-2007, 05:25 PM
I agree--the Scorpions are a great all-year tire. They got me out of two Sierra blizzards, and my son out of Death Valley in the winter (although one suffered a puncture--see separate thread). They have the added benefit of being very good in the rain.

I carry Euro-style chains as a back-up, but have never needed to use them.

EEman
12-24-2007, 06:26 PM
The negative comments I read were on the Tire Rack web site. That is contrary to my experience and I will most likely buy another set. Just wondering if I had missed something.

Thanks.

X3 Skier
12-25-2007, 07:34 AM
After three ski seasons in Steamboat Springs, my Scorpions have been fine. Never stuck and good traction in up to 18" of Champagne Powder.

Cheers

BruceOmega
12-26-2007, 07:30 AM
FWIW,

I asked Gary at Tirerack about replacing our half worn OEM Turanza EL-42s on our '06 X3, which has 18" wheels but not the sport suspension. It's a thread in the Tirerack forum here.

I was considering Scorpions, Michelin Pilot Sport all seasons, and the new Goodyear Eagle F1 all seasons. Based on Gary's comments, we bought the F1s through him. My wife likes them, but I have not driven on them yet and we have not encountered any snow since they were installed.

Thanks
Bruce

Evlengr
12-26-2007, 07:48 AM
These are my first set of scorpions and they handle well in all weather for me so far. Three days after I bought my x3 we had a 6 inch snow storm (that's big here), and they handled very well. We have recently had some major down pours and they didn't budge.

When I first got the X3 I was very excited to see they came stock with the Scorpions after hearing so many comments. My only fear is the repalcement cost.

I usually love michelin, but their lack of customer service gets them a black mark. I always call customer service prior to any purchase over $100 just to see how they respond.

The goodyears I had were good to me--they were really sticky and nice on windy roads but as a result I wore them down after two years.

OCNYBMW
12-26-2007, 11:44 AM
I bought the Pirelli NERO M+S for my X3 from the tirerack for about $75/tire. They are excellent, much better than the crappy Turanza's. I have driven through a blizzard and many tough conditions here in NY. Not too sure about CO, but the tires are great for an overall good tire than is cheap.

You may be able to get this set, and a pure snow set for about the same price of Michelin's for instance.

rda2w
12-26-2007, 06:15 PM
While the Scorpions are very good all-season tires I was still looking for more traction in the winter. IMO, where the Scorpions (and all other all-season tires) fall short is in slush and sugar-type snow. The tread is not open enough to deal with these conditions as good as a true off-road or snow tire. This is amplified while towing in the winter. I never got stuck with the OEM tires but I was close a couple of times. This winter I mounted a set of Michelin X-Ice tires on a set of after market wheels and have noticed a dramatic improvement in these conditions.

-BA

Evlengr
12-27-2007, 09:06 AM
Well can't debate a person from Syracuse, NY. That's some of the nastiest winers around ( I lived in Utica, NY for a time). Do they not allow studs anymore in New York?

rda2w
12-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Yes, we get our share of snow and the DOT seems to be content on dumping more salt and plowing less. The slush this creates is worse than ice IMO. In fact there is almost no sand being used except in the rural areas these days. Changing lanes with 6 or 8 inches of slush between them can makes for some exciting times. Studded tires are allowed between October and April but the noise from them on concrete roads drives me nuts.

-BA

bmwpursuit
12-28-2007, 09:42 AM
I agree. For winter driving with heavy snow, I put mich x ice on my wife's x3 and they are very good. I have Goodyear AS on my Z4.

The worst situation you may encounter is stopping. AWD X3 will bail you out in starting, cornering and all kind of stuff but there's nothing the truck can do to help you stop better than the RWD model (same ABS system). If anything the X3 is heavier and requires more distance to stop as the inertia builds up.

Stud tires only helps if you are running on ice (hard packed) and snow chain on the slush or soft packed ice. Both are bound to give you big problem once you hit wet or slightly snow dusted road.

I find the x ice give u the edge when it comes to stopping (the most important to me) and I am more than happy to trade some ride comfort and handling comfort for safety.

The most important part is learning and adpting to winter driving. I learnt it the hard way with 5 yrs living in CT windy hill roads and 4 yrs in Toronto with careless drivers with my previous RWD bmws, namely e36 325i, e39 528i and the z3.

X3 Skier
12-28-2007, 11:35 AM
As an aside to this discussion, I just had my right rear Scorpion repaired after picking up a long screw that led to gradual pressure loss. Actually worked like a run flat until I had it plugged. Of course, a run flat would be totaled after a similar experience so I hope they never become standard on the X3. :thumbdwn:

Be interesting to see how the plug holds up this winter in CO including the 800 mile relocation drive from OH. Held fine on a recent 150 mile drive @ 75+ mph.:thumbup:

Cheers

mguhler
01-01-2008, 08:22 AM
I had to plug a rear tire at 10K and relocated twice, on it driving 1200 miles each way, plug has held up great. Just did the 2nd about 3 weeks ago and speedometer says a little over 34K. Just passed PA inspection, so looking to replace with Pirelli Scorpions or Michelins.

eldorado01
01-01-2008, 10:55 AM
I suggest you consider Goodyear RensponsEdge. The ride is softer and the grip on wet and light snow is good. We haven't had any snow of any consequence this (last) year, so I can't speak for heavy snow response.

BruceOmega
01-02-2008, 03:02 PM
..... the new Goodyear Eagle F1 all seasons ..... we bought the F1s ..... but I have not driven on them yet .....

I finally got a chance to drive my wife's X3 this past weekend with the new Eagle F1 all season tires. They're a big improvement over the Turanza EL-42s. They have a smoother ride, are less harsh, and provide more controlled, more responsive handling.

We have not encountered winter road conditions since installing the new tires, so can't comment on that aspect yet.

The car is more fun to drive, and I am really glad we made the switch.

Bruce

doubledeclutch
01-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Am I the only person that dosen't mind the Bridgestone Turanza's? I've found them to be very responsive and good in the dry and the wet. And they actually can handle real snow unlike the oem michelins.

eldorado01
01-03-2008, 06:51 PM
You're probably the only one. Those Bridgestones really suck.

judybe83
01-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Let's start a poll :rofl:
Is doubledeclutch the only one who "dosen't mind the Bridgestone Turanza's"

Yes
No
He's got to be kidding X

ab

doubledeclutch
01-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Let's start a poll :rofl:
Is doubledeclutch the only one who "dosen't mind the Bridgestone Turanza's"

Yes
No
He's got to be kidding X

ab

Oops. I was just informed that I was supposed to say... "They're the worst tires ever made standard fit on a vehicle ever. The sidewalls must be made of high tensil strength steel. They make more noise than a Boeing 747 on reverse thrust and I've used bycycle tires that grip better." :rolleyes:

...Wouldn't want to disagree with the party line now :D

AzNMpower32
01-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Hmmm, let's see. Go with the praised Michelins/Pirellis, or go with the sketchy and oft-complained about Bridgestones..........:rofl:

Heck, the 325i non-sport comes with Bridgestone Turanza EL42 run-flats, and BMW has a bulletin out on replacing them if the customers complain of too much road noise (and vehicle is under 20k miles).

ggd4971
03-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Am I the only person that dosen't mind the Bridgestone Turanza's? I've found them to be very responsive and good in the dry and the wet. And they actually can handle real snow unlike the oem michelins.

I drive 05 x3 with bridgestone and has 85K miles, haven't had any issues with it

Rob V
03-28-2008, 10:13 AM
You have 85k on a single set of tires? Holy crap. I've never lasted more than 33k without having to replace the tires. I know this is an old thread but for what it's worth, I live in Colorado Springs and Pirelli's have been great. Even now with 2 tires at the wear bars it still does great. Great tires. Sure, snow tires would be better but I'm not into changing tires a couple times a year and while we can get our occassional blizzard, they don't happen with enough frequency to warrant true snow tires. Unless I lived in an actual ski town or a place like North Dakota then I'm sticking with all seasons.

Mystic1
03-28-2008, 10:54 AM
We're sitting at 35K with the original Scorpions and have a good 40-50% tread left. I guess it all depends on how many turns and curves one encounters.

AzNMpower32
03-28-2008, 11:19 AM
I have a new set of summer wheels and tires, an upgrade to 18" (basically sport package size). Amazingly, the ride is marginally better. The initial "shock" seems to be damped more on the new set, and it's not psychological because I was expecting the ride to be worse. It must be some combo of lighter wheels and summer rubber :dunno:

Can't wait till after the initial 500mi break-in for tires to really corner hard. Foot to the floor and DSC off! And yes, the amazing BMW brakes that cut speed without ABS kicking in.

Rob V
03-28-2008, 11:43 AM
This may sound like a bumb question but would upgrading from 17" to 18" give a stiffer ride? The largest wheels I've had on my cars are 17" and I don't know if going up to 18" will affect the ride negatively.

AzNMpower32
03-28-2008, 12:03 PM
This may sound like a bumb question but would upgrading from 17" to 18" give a stiffer ride? The largest wheels I've had on my cars are 17" and I don't know if going up to 18" will affect the ride negatively.
So many factoris can affect the ride. Like I mentioned, I think some combo of lighter wheels and softer summer rubber has slightly improved the ride on my '04 X3 non-sport, which was always running on 17". However, the ride is by no means "plush" or even "good". It's just that the initial edge/shock of the bumps seems to be softened a bit.

riod007
03-31-2008, 12:00 AM
i live in Arizona and in never in 32***730; or lower temps and i have the m sport 18" rims and use Goodyear eagle F 1 GS-D3s'

what a difference they made... soooooo much dry grip and sooooooooo much wet grip... they are truly astonishing tires

i recommend them 100% :thumbup:

smellthebeans
03-31-2008, 12:58 AM
Mine has Michelin Pilot Sports.....love the traction on icy snowy roads:p:rofl:

just kidding

Skottoman
03-31-2008, 08:52 AM
Got a brand new set of 18" wheels and Pirellis if anyone in the Bay Area is looking for a new set!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270504

Cheers,
Skottoman

PimoX3
03-31-2008, 01:03 PM

There are no 'bumb' questions on this forum!:D

Anyway, I use the stock 17" rims with Bridgestones for the winter and a set of OEM 19" with Pirelli P-Zeros for the summer, and prefer the ride on the 19's. My X3 is a 2006, so the suspension was a little better behaved than earlier models, but I was happy with my choice to go with the 19's for summer.

Although all other things equal (same tire make/model, etc.) you would expect a harsher ride on larger diameter wheels, the tire combo makes a significant difference (as AzN pointed out). Assuming you upgrade to suitable tires for the 18's, I don't think you'll be unhappy with the ride - and the larger wheels look nicer (IMHO).:thumbup:

eldorado01
03-31-2008, 01:38 PM
I believe the ride got much softer on my '04 with sport package when I switched from 18" to 17", and from Bridgestones to Goodyears.

FireFly
04-01-2008, 08:11 AM
We put Toyo Versdao's on the X3 several weeks back and they offer a quiet ride at highway speeds. I've had them out in heavy rain and 2 snow storms and they seem to grip quite well but definitely not as good as a true snow tire.

I'll need to run them through a few storms next year and then make a decision to keep them on for the winter or throw on my extra rims with snow tires (from my 330xi which is now gone).

ggd4971
04-16-2008, 01:53 PM
You have 85k on a single set of tires? Holy crap. I've never lasted more than 33k without having to replace the tires. I know this is an old thread but for what it's worth, I live in Colorado Springs and Pirelli's have been great. Even now with 2 tires at the wear bars it still does great. Great tires. Sure, snow tires would be better but I'm not into changing tires a couple times a year and while we can get our occassional blizzard, they don't happen with enough frequency to warrant true snow tires. Unless I lived in an actual ski town or a place like North Dakota then I'm sticking with all seasons.

yes on a single set of tires, replaced it with Pirelli Scorpion STR 235/55 R 17