PDA

View Full Version : Stiff Ride of the X3

indelible20
12-27-2007, 04:05 PM
I love the X3 the only thing is the stiff ride gets to me a little....any ideas on how to make the ride a little softer????????

judybe83
12-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Do you have the sport suspension?
What tires are on it now?

We put Yokohama YK520 on when we couldn't stand the harsh noisy ride from the OEM Bridgestone's. We were pleasantly surprised by the MUCH better ride we get from the Yokohama's.

ab

zznalg
12-27-2007, 07:25 PM
Are you talking about the '07-'08? Its ride is much more compliant. Also, if stiffness bothers you, don't look at the sport package. If your still bothered, buy a Lexus. Or, a Lincoln.

UncleJ
12-28-2007, 08:10 AM
The harsh ride is the only thing that I dislike about my '06 non sport. Rough pavement, serious expansion joints, and potholed streets make it a difficult car to enjoy. On smooth asphalt it is a dream, but unfortunately not all our roads are that nice! If my Scorpions wear out before I trade it for a XC90 V8 Sport I will try Judy's Yokohama suggestion. Someone else reported that airing down the tires gave some relief since most were set at the highest pressure. I did that and noticed a slight difference, but not all that great.

Bobert
12-28-2007, 11:22 AM
I see yours is an 04' which is the stiffest ride of the model years. If your running 17" wheels, the softest tire available is probably the Goodyear Tripletred which will fit the X3.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+TripleTred&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=355HR7ATT&fromCompare1=yes&place=0

If your running 18" then softest tire is probably Bridgestone Serenity:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Turanza+Serenity&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=35WR8TS&fromCompare1=yes&place=0

Andrewinla
12-28-2007, 10:46 PM
Just got a 07 Demo (11K miles) non sport with 17" Scorpions and coming from a sport package 325 it rides real nice.

We didn't drive a sport package but did try a 06 and it too was not that bad at all.

Tried the Lexus and it was TOOO soft..it felt like you had no conrol over the car.

I wonder if the people complaining about the ride are coming from previous BMW's or other cars with much softer suspension setups?

The BoatMan
12-29-2007, 12:08 PM
Just got a 07 Demo (11K miles) non sport with 17" Scorpions and coming from a sport package 325 it rides real nice.

We didn't drive a sport package but did try a 06 and it too was not that bad at all.

Tried the Lexus and it was TOOO soft..it felt like you had no conrol over the car.

I wonder if the people complaining about the ride are coming from previous BMW's or other cars with much softer suspension setups?

Previous model years of the X3 have much harsher rides. The 2007 X3 suspension is like night and day compared to an 04 X3.

doubledeclutch
12-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Yea, the 04 was a little too stiff for a allot of people. They changed the suspension settings in '05 and ever since, it has been a good compromise between ride and handling. Anything softer than the new settings would mean an SAV that dosen't drive like a BMW should.

Ishniknork
12-29-2007, 11:22 PM
Yea, the 04 was a little too stiff for a allot of people. They changed the suspension settings in '05 and ever since, it has been a good compromise between ride and handling. Anything softer than the new settings would mean an SAV that dosen't drive like a BMW should.
Amen!

I often wonder if people complaining about the ride even took a good test drive in the X3. :confused:

As stated earlier though, be sure to check your tire pressures. Mine came from the dealer inflated to the max. pressure, 41 Lbs. on my Dunlop SP 01's. Try 32 psi. That's what I run and tire wear seems to be even across the wear bars.

dicor
01-01-2008, 04:59 AM
I have an 04 and the ride could be just a little softer. Does anyone know what BMW did to soften the ride in later models? Maybe it's simply a mateer of replacing the $hocks ? :dunno:

eldorado01
01-01-2008, 09:49 AM
You may have read my thread on replacing my tires because of the back breaking ride. My '04 had the sport package with the 18" wheels. I changed the wheels to 17" five spoke Beyern and used Goodyear ResponsEdge 235/55 R17. The ride improved significantly and the tires' behavior this winter has been good. it stopped from selling my X3.

eldorado01
01-01-2008, 09:51 AM
By the way, I would also like to know if there is any change on the suspension that could be done so soften the ride even more? I'm not getting any younger...

dicor
01-01-2008, 10:48 AM
You may have read my thread on replacing my tires because of the back breaking ride. My '04 had the sport package with the 18" wheels. I changed the wheels to 17" five spoke Beyern and used Goodyear ResponsEdge 235/55 R17. The ride improved significantly and the tires' behavior this winter has been good. it stopped from selling my X3.

I did read your post and imediately went outside to check my tire pressure and let some air out. Much to my surprize the were already underinflated. RATS!!! Just for S&G I inflated it to the recomended pressure, it now feels as if someone removed the shocks and replaced them with a 2X4.:confused:

Ive got a Corvette with Bilstien shocks that have 3 selectons Touring, Sport & Performance you can select either setting by turning a switch right on the console.
:rolleyes: We have the technology:rolleyes:

KarlB
01-02-2008, 05:07 AM
drive faster, no really, I have the sport package on my 04 3.o and find that the suspension feels really nice at about 85-90 on the rough backroads compared to 70, but then I used to own an M coupe and a z3 coupe so stiff sport suspension are what I like.

jo-e90
01-03-2008, 11:46 AM

Consumer Reports has never and will never test the BMW X3 3.0. as well as the suspension softening change in all models of the '05 and '06.
They only tested the 2.5 and the NEW 3.0si

firstbmwX3
01-03-2008, 12:35 PM
I have an 07 non-sport with upgraded 18in wheels/Michelin tires. I too thought the ride was harsh and loud, and the tires were overinflated. I am now riding on 32 psi front/rear which helps. I think when I need tires I am switching to the Yokohamas or Continentals. I also have an 08 528xi on Continentals which rides great....very quiet and controlled. Other than that...the ride is firm/stiff. I can't compare to other model years b/c this is the only one I have driven. Actually, now that PA is really cold, whenever I drive over bumps, the car creaks at the door seals and window seals. If it's warm out though...it doesn't do it.