PDA

View Full Version : 2010 BWM X3 in Winding Road

MB330
12-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Link (http://magazine.windingroad.com/windingroad/200802/?pg=47&pm=1&u1=friend) :thumbup:

The X3 will be based on the 3-series platform, but it will be stretched and widened to help differentiate it from the 3-series wagon. There aren***8217;t many other details on the X3 right now, but we presume the engine will still be a 3.0-liter inline-six

One more link (http://news.windingroad.com/wp-gallery2.php?g2_itemId=22344)

doubledeclutch
12-27-2007, 10:32 PM
"Winding Road" needs to do better research. The mule pictured is already confirmed to be the upcoming X1 and NOT the X3.;)

MB330
12-27-2007, 10:53 PM
"Winding Road" needs to do better research. The mule pictured is already confirmed to be the upcoming X1 and NOT the X3.;)

I am not argue, but looks to me too big for X1...:eeps:

Be Em Double Yu
12-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Looks kinda small to be an X3 though. :dunno:

HG132
12-28-2007, 06:58 PM
I too heard that the next gen will be more elongated; however, those pics look like a much smaller vehicle than an X3. I doubt it would fly with the loyal X3 drivers :thumbdwn:

I agree, it looks like it belongs with the X1 platform.

rg_medrano
12-28-2007, 07:01 PM
It's pretty evident that it's an X1 because over time most models grow in size, not decrease in size.

X3 Skier
12-29-2007, 04:36 AM
I doubt it would fly with the loyal X3 drivers :thumbdwn:

I for one can't wait for the X1. Especially since the X3 production is moving to SC and thus no more European Delivery. :cry: With only two in the house, smaller is better (and hopefully cheaper). If the X1 is produced in SC along with the X3 and X5, I guess I will go for an extended warranty. :D

Cheers

STE92VE
12-29-2007, 07:07 AM
Especially since the X3 production is moving to SC and thus no more European Delivery. :cry: If the X1 is produced in SC along with the X3 and X5, I guess I will go for an extended warranty. :D

Cheers

That's precisely my reasoning for getting a 2009 X3 since it will be the last year it will be made in Graz, Austria.

dug01
12-29-2007, 07:43 AM
That's precisely my reasoning for getting a 2009 X3 since it will be the last year it will be made in Graz, Austria. So you are assuming that because the X3 will be built in US it will not be as good?---I have an '03 Z4 ( and also owned a '98 Z3) and both were more trouble free than my German built X3--and judging from the posts on this forum many more have gripes with their X3's. After watching the "ultimate Factorys" on Nat-Geo featuring the BMW plant in Spartansburg, SC I was impressed with the manufacturing process in that plant...also most of the mechanical assemblies are shipped from Europe such as engines and transmissions. Anytime a foreign country moves manufacturing to the US is a good thing...we need the jobs.

STE92VE
12-29-2007, 07:59 AM
So you are assuming that because the X3 will be built in US it will not be as good?---I have an '03 Z4 ( and also owned a '98 Z3) and both were more trouble free than my German built X3--and judging from the posts on this forum many more have gripes with their X3's. After watching the "ultimate Factorys" on Nat-Geo featuring the BMW plant in Spartansburg, SC I was impressed with the manufacturing process in that plant...also most of the mechanical assemblies are shipped from Europe such as engines and transmissions. Anytime a foreign country moves manufacturing to the US is a good thing...we need the jobs.

Let me go a little deeper into my reasoning for getting a 2009 X3 built in Austria rather than a 2010 X3 built in SC.... I toured the SC plant when I did PCD for my E92 in April 2007. I was utterly impressed by the entire facility and their manufacturing processes. I have no doubt that BMW incorporates the same QC measures in all of their plants. My main concern is taking delivery of a redesigned first year MY vehicle made in a different plant. That's why I anticipate there will be fewer issues with the 2009 X3 made in Austria, than the 2010 X3 made in SC. I'm sure that after several model years, the new X3's coming off the line in SC will rival the quality of any other BMW, but that doesn't fit into the time frame for when I will be acquiring my next vehicle.

X3 Skier
12-29-2007, 01:55 PM
My reason for a Graz vehicle is for both the ED experience and the significant discount available via Munich pick up.

Cheers