PDA

View Full Version : Removing front headrests, 2008 X3

bobkap
12-28-2007, 05:59 AM
Want to install sheepskins but can't remove manual headrests. They elevate to a point but then hit a hard stop.
What is the procedure?

MMME30W
12-28-2007, 06:24 AM
Hmmm...don't know for sure.

Is there not a "catch" mechanism at the base of the steel posts? If not, I would be tempted to tug fairly hard on the head rest to see if there is a pressure release inside the seat back. This is how the head rests on the back seat of my E46 are designed, I would not be surprised if that was how they did it on the X3.

bobkap
12-28-2007, 06:38 AM
which I did press inward in order to elevate the headrest. I also slammed the unit into the stop a few times but it still didn't come out of the seat. I'm afraid of slamming any harder in fear of destroying it.

MMME30W
12-28-2007, 06:54 AM
which I did press inward in order to elevate the headrest. I also slammed the unit into the stop a few times but it still didn't come out of the seat. I'm afraid of slamming any harder in fear of destroying it.

Huh.

I don't know if you have these, but you might want to call the service department and ask:

http://www.technologynewsdaily.com/node/7851

I'd be leery of messing with anything that has a "pyro-technic" charge. :p

bobkap
12-28-2007, 07:43 AM
Indeed,we have service depatments but my experience dictates they are a path of last resort.

Bobert
12-28-2007, 12:31 PM
There is the plastic button at the top of the seatback (base of the headrest) which when depressed will lower and raise the headrest. I suppose if you hold the button while simultaneously pushing up on the headrest it might come off, but I've never done it myself.

Sonoman707
12-28-2007, 12:57 PM
There is the plastic button at the top of the seatback (base of the headrest) which when depressed will lower and raise the headrest. I suppose if you hold the button while simultaneously pushing up on the headrest it might come off, but I've never done it myself.

Yup... just hold the button in and continue lifting the headrest. It will come right out. The button is on the left hand side.

cbj
12-28-2007, 02:20 PM
And yes it does feel like there is something holding it but just pull and you will be fine.