PDA

View Full Version : Anti-theft ???

dicor
12-28-2007, 05:21 PM
Need a straight answer. Just bought a used 2004 X3 and so far so good. However I have a question my X3 does not have an alarm installed in it. I've considered picking one up at BMW parts putting it in the having them activate it. How theft proof is the X3 without the alarm? Can it be started easily with the hammer and screwdriver method (a favorite in our area)? I had a 94 325I stolen a few years back and they had no trouble at all starting it up. Have ther been improvements to the anti-theft systems or are we relying 99% on our insurance policies.

Andrew*Debbie
12-29-2007, 06:02 AM
An '04 X3 has an immobilizer. There is a transponder in your key. The car won't start unless the DME reads the correct code from the key. Screwdriver/Hammer will unlock the car but it won't start.

Don't loose your keys.

MJS
12-29-2007, 06:24 AM
And don't keep the valet key(assuming the car has one) in the manual in the car.

dicor
12-29-2007, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the feedback :thumbup:. I was unaware of the imobilizer that puts my mind at ease, somewhat.

UncleJ
12-29-2007, 07:49 AM
Ok, the two "big keys" have the imobilizer but the little thin plastic valet key doesn't seem to have one. So if it can't start the car for the valet to bring it around why do we have it? I keep mine in my wallet but I think now I am going to try it to see if it actually does work.

dicor
12-29-2007, 09:19 AM
This is just a guess, but maybe the immobilizer is only activated once the door is locked. I was not given a valet key when I bought mine used so I cannot verify this. Let me know what you find out. Thx.