PDA

View Full Version : X3 build quality

STE92VE
12-29-2007, 08:36 AM
Since I usually start planning for my next vehicle far in advance, I wanted to get as much info on the X3 as I could. Build quality is a determining factor and after some research, I found this:

Magna Steyr's Graz Facility Honored With J.D. Power Gold Plant Quality Award - an Industry First for a Supplier

AURORA, Ontario, June 9 /PRNewswire/ --

Magna International Inc. today announced that its Magna Steyr unit has won a J.D. Power Gold Plant Quality Award in Europe for its vehicle assembly facility in Graz, Austria. It is the first time this award has been given to a supplier.

The Gold Plant Quality Award, announced June 7 with the release of the J.D. Power and Associates 2006 Initial Quality Study, recognizes that Magna Steyr's Graz facility produces vehicles with the fewest number of defects as compared to other European vehicle assembly facilities.

The Graz facility has a long-standing tradition in vehicle production starting in 1906 as Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG, which Magna acquired in 1998. Today, eight different vehicles are built by Magna Steyr in Graz: the BMW X3, Chrysler Voyager/Grand Voyager, 300C sedan and Touring; Jeep Grand Cherokee and Commander; Mercedes-Benz E class 4MATIC and G class; and Saab 9-3 convertible. In 2005, the Graz facility built more than 230,000 vehicles.

"We are extremely proud to win such a distinguished award," said Siegfried Wolf, co-chief executive officer of Magna International. "This award is the result of the efforts of Magna Steyr's hard-working employees, who make a commitment to quality every day, as well as the unique partnerships that Magna Steyr has forged with its customers."

Magna Steyr is the premier global supplier of complete vehicle engineering and assembly services for original equipment manufacturer (OEM) customers. Magna International Inc., which ranks among the world's largest suppliers to the automotive industry, employs over 84,000 people at 224 manufacturing divisions and 60 engineering centers in 22 countries.

Distributed by PR Newswire on behalf of Magna International Inc.

Any current X3 owner's care to comment on the build quality of their vehicle?

MMME30W
12-29-2007, 08:43 AM
Our vehicle is very well put together. 2007 X3 3.0Si, 10,500 miles, it's my wife's daily driver. She replaced a 2000 Honda Odyssey that had 125,000 miles on it.

No issues, really, at all. 21.5 mpg city, holds a lot of stuff, very versatile, handles competently, good in soft-roading conditions (e.g. in and out of Wekiva Springs nature camp.) Took Young Master Wingspan (age 11) and I, with our dive gear, to Lake Denton Fla for his open-water certification dives. Very stable on the interstate at high speed.

Some have experienced transmission issues, for whatever reason, we have not.

I'd buy another one in a second.

Andrew*Debbie
12-29-2007, 08:51 AM
Magna Steyr does a good job of assembling the X3. They also did some or all of the X-Drive engineering. The Automatic Transfer Case (ATC 400) is designed and built by Magna Powertrain. I'm not sure if they make the drive shafts and differentials too.

Build quality on every X3 I've seen has been quite good.

Build issues on our unit:

On our X3 there is a bit of orange peel in the paint on one fender. It is minor and you can't see it unless you are inches away. That's become the norm on a lot of cars these days. Hard to find a perfect paintjob anywhere.

The door that covers the diagnostic connector in the drivers footwell has a broken latch. I'm not sure if that happened after the car left the factory.

X3's have their share of electrical gremlins. Quite a few have problems with the sound system. There is also the well known hesistation and shift problems. These have little to do with how Magna Steyr puts the car together.

I have owned cars that were poorly assembled. The worst was a 1982 Renault. There was a pile of fasteners sitting in the spare tire well. Someone dumped them there rather than install them.

STE92VE
12-29-2007, 09:06 AM
There was a pile of fasteners sitting in the spare tire well. Someone dumped them there rather than install them.

Hopefully they were extras and not left out of a critical assembly sequence....:yikes:

Andrew*Debbie
12-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Hopefully they were extras and not left out of a critical assembly sequence....:yikes:

For the most part they weren't extras. Worst car I've ever owned.

Chalk it up to experience.

Part of the reason we keep coming back to BMW is the top notch build quality.

HG132
12-29-2007, 04:45 PM
As far as quality of automobile, I don't think there is a finer auto made than BMW. All cars will have issues. My father drives the top of the line MB, trades it in every 2 years, and each one is in for service issues regularly.

In general, these are road cars--from the 3 to the 7--they are made to hug the road and perform. With the exception of the famous/well documented X3 tranny issue (which seems to be a problem with other manufacturers as well), the BMW is solid. Our 325xi had 90,000 in just 3 years...no problems just routine maintenance. As for the 2 X's (Full disclosure: tranny issue, taken care of with the October SIB) they are the best vehicles I have ever owned.

Remember, BMW stands behind their cars with a warranty/maintenance. Besides the fact that I love(d) the last 4 cars I have leased in the last 3 years, MB/as do most auto manufacturers, won't stand behind their cars the same way...wonder why...

STE92VE
12-29-2007, 06:02 PM
Remember, BMW stands behind their cars with a warranty/maintenance. Besides the fact that I love(d) the last 4 cars I have leased in the last 3 years, MB/as do most auto manufacturers, won't stand behind their cars the same way...wonder why...

I agree 100% and experienced BMW's commitment to customer satisfaction. My E92 was built w/o the sport suspension and BMW did the right thing by me, which is why I'm considering another one.

Evlengr
12-29-2007, 06:35 PM
All I can say is that this X3 has been in the shop more times than my last 4 vehicles combined. I now have a call in to corporate for a "Trade Assist" option. Please refer to the dozens of post regarding the X3's unpredictable and unsafe Tranny.

After having it in for the fourth time it still bucks like a 16 year old learning to drive a shift in SD, and hesitates between 2-3 gear shifting in cold weather.

On the upside I will ask for a MT as a replacement since all the other features are stellar.

Zoltar
12-29-2007, 08:06 PM
IMHO the transmission issues are a design issue and not a manufacturing issue.
The post is about build quality and I take that as the manufacturing.
Having said that, the build quality of my X3 is 5 star. The fit and finish are stellar.
I hope this does not change when they move to SC in 2010 as Magna does a great job building this vehicle.

murmur11
12-29-2007, 08:28 PM
I did ED pick up last Nov and just took re-delivery of my 08 X3 yesterday.

910 miles, No squeaks and rattles, No transmission issues at all, overall build quality is great.

FYI - 08 X3s would be the last model year being built in Graz plant.

HT417
12-30-2007, 09:03 AM
Took delivery of my 2008 X3 w/AT on 18 Dec. Although I only have about 600 miles on it so far, I have no issues with the build quality. Very satisfied so far.

UncleJ
12-30-2007, 09:31 AM
My '06 X3 is very well built. No issues on tht point at all!

mikelf
12-30-2007, 12:59 PM
We have an 06 and 07 X3. We had a window regulator issue with the 06 and a loose headliner at the tailgate on the 07 and that is it. Both cars have 16K with no issues at all.

X3 Skier
12-30-2007, 07:14 PM
Other than the infamous squeaky door seals and a failed Instrument Cluster, no problems with mine. As the Cluster falls under the "random failure" mode of reliability and the door seals were a poor design choice of materials, I think Steyr's assembly processes resulting in my X3 have been exemplary.

BTW, both problems were handled promptly by the Dealer.

Cheers

jdeday
01-03-2008, 05:49 PM
I haven't had any issues.

AzNMpower32
01-03-2008, 06:57 PM
There have been very few issues with our '04 X3 2.5i, 54k miles. It's mostly the rare electronic hiccup (like the pass. airbag sensor, and there is a fix) that doesn't really cause issues.

doubledeclutch
01-03-2008, 11:33 PM
No problems except for the passenger seat airbag mat and a faulty coolant sensor. Seems to be a well built sav.