PDA

View Full Version : Need help: Pre-owned '05 or '07?

jo-e90
12-29-2007, 05:14 PM
Cannot decide which non-sport to go looking for.
The '05 has better tranny, but the '07 has a better ride.

Evlengr
12-29-2007, 05:21 PM
Most will know my answer here. The 07's (and now 08) tranny gives it too much of a black eye. If you are going to buy the 07 drive it thoroughly before buying. I would ask to take it home for a day or two. Otherwise get a signed document stating a "buy back" clause if there are any tranny issues.

This is not an inconvenience but a serious danger because of the unpredicatability.

Please be aware this problem is even more marked in cold weather so those folks in warmer climates may be naturally immune.

MMME30W
12-29-2007, 05:21 PM
Need more data on your situation.

Given what you posted, '07 X3 FTW. The interior was upgraded, the N52 engine, overall vehicle quality markedly upgraded IMHO. We have not have the transmission issues...

Good luck, and welcome to the 'fest!

Zoltar
12-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Get a CPO '06

doubledeclutch
12-29-2007, 07:23 PM
The ride of an 07 is no different than an 05, given the same tires. An 04 on the other hand...

jo-e90
12-29-2007, 09:30 PM
Previous model years of the X3 have much harsher rides. The 2007 X3 suspension is like night and day compared to an 04 X3.

What is the difference between the 04 and 05? If so, what production date was the change made?

Andrew*Debbie
12-30-2007, 05:48 AM
pre-owned '05 vs. pre-owned '07

I would be very very careful looking at a pre-owned '07. Only a handful of those will be coming off a 1-year lease. If it was an auction car, it might be a trade assist. It could also be a manufacturer car. That could be one that BMW NA used for the Press Fleet, performance center, ultimate drive events or who's knows what. It may have been an executive car or a dealer loaner too. I'd find out the history if possible. You don't want to buy one that was traded in because it has the shifting or hesitation issues.

If the '07 isn't a CPO at a BMW dealer RUN AWAY. RUN AWAY NOW.

For that matter, how much money are you saving buying a pre-owned '07 vs. a brand new '08? With an '08 I'd think your chances of hitting one with the transmission problem is much lower.

Me, I'd be looking ordering a new 2008 with a manual transmission. I'd take European Delivery too. That car I highly recommend over a 2005. The new motor is far better. You get the improved sunroof, much nicer interior, a brand new car and a European vacation.

BMW has been continually tinkering with the suspension since the '04 X3. The big change is from '04 to '05. An '07 is supposed to be softer than an '05. I checked and they certainly have different shock absorbers.

What is the difference between the 04 and 05? If so, what production date was the change made?

Biggest difference is they softened the suspension for 05.

I don't have the exact date but MY 2005 cars would have started production very late August early September 2004.

To be sure I'd get one that was 09/04 or later.

X3 Skier
12-30-2007, 06:01 AM
05 Production started in Sep 04. Only reason I know is I got one of the first on an ED in Oct 04.

Cheers

Andrew*Debbie
12-30-2007, 06:09 AM
The ride of an 07 is no different than an 05, given the same tires. An 04 on the other hand...

BMW has been continually tinkering with the suspension since the '04 X3. The big change is from '04 to '05. An '07 is supposed to be softer than an '05. I checked and they certainly have different shock absorbers.

doubledeclutch
12-30-2007, 03:18 PM

I believe you on the part numbers, the facelift cars certainly have different weight distributions/weights and slight suspension tweaks wouldn't be out of the question, but jump in an 05 and then an 07 with the same tires and tire pressures and it aint going to be easy to tell the difference. But I have to admit, I'm really confused about some of the part # changes when browsing the realoem.com parts database. Some things just don't add up. For example the shocks and sway bars of an 04 and 05 are listed as the SAME when everyone who has driven the two back can clearly tell there are differences in the setup. In fact, it dosen't show differences in the shocks until MY06 cars :dunno:

jo-e90
12-30-2007, 09:43 PM
What could I do to make the '05 ride more like the '07?
Different shocks? Is that the only difference in the suspension?

Andrew*Debbie
12-31-2007, 05:57 AM
What could I do to make the '05 ride more like the '07?
Different shocks? Is that the only difference in the suspension?

I doubt it. You'd have to look at the shocks, springs, sway bars and maybe even the bushings. It is a tuned system, if you just change to softer shocks you run the risk of an under damped suspension.

The engine in the '07 weighs less. I'd think BMW would adjust the entire suspension, if only slightly. The first thing I'd check is if the sway bars have different part numbers.

Have you looked at prices? By the time you buy all the parts and pay for someone to install them, you may have closed the gap between an '05 and a factory new X3.

Have you driven both cars? Someone else indicated they couldn't tell a difference. I can tell between our '07 and an '04. I haven't driven an '05.

X3 Skier
12-31-2007, 07:15 AM
I have an 05 and have driven both 06 and 07 X3 loaners when mine was in for service. I could not tell any real difference but I did not push them hard. YMMV

Cheers

jo-e90
12-31-2007, 12:47 PM
I noticed the '06 does not have the black front and back bumpers but all other years of the X3 have some black except sport models.
What is more popular here with X3 owners?
What do most like- the rugged black accent or the full body mono color?

OCNYBMW
12-31-2007, 06:48 PM
I just bought mine off lease. I got it CPO'ed. I originally was going to lease a 2008, but after the tranny issues of the 07 and 08, the 05 looked great.

I must say, I have 46K on it now, and it has never been back at the dealer for any issue except for routine maintenance. I drive the car real hard too. 05's are really a good deal right now.

bmwadam
01-02-2008, 06:00 AM
I bought an off lease 2004 3.0 a few months back. The car had 28k miles when I picked it up. I bought the car for 27,9k. It does not have the sport package, just the premium and cold weather packages. I also have a 6spd gearbox which I love. The car is PRISTINE (other than a missing stupid plastic grommet on the rear seat, see previous post) I know the M54 engine pretty well. While the N52 is certaintily better, it dosnt have a dipstick (screw BMW on this one) AND the M54 has been in use in some form (M52, M50) for over a decade. I need this car to last, and I am sure that it will. When it comes off the CPO warranty, I know it will be easy to keep going and I can trust it. Im not as sue about the N52, it hasnt proven itself yet.

BUT my biggest reason for buying the 04 was the savings. I looked over an 07 and an 08 pretty good. Both would have set me back over 40k. The differences were just not worth it to me. 40k for an X3 is too much in my book. The car is not worth that to me.

BUT I am a person who dosnt need a warranty. I work on my own car. Just 2 days ago I spent a few hours changing a valve cover gasket, plugs, oil, rotation of tires and power steering lines on my mom's 2000 M52 323 (pretty much the same engine as the M54, just smaller displacement. This was not a difficult task at all, just a litle time consuming. Her M52 has over 170k on the clock and it runs strong. She is not the type that takes care of a car either, it has taken abuse. Like I said I trust the M54 setup. It has proven itself.

iamthewalrus
01-02-2008, 07:02 AM
My advice: 2007 w/ manual or 2005 w/ step. Given all of the issues, I wouldn't buy a 2007 steptronic. Or, you can do what I did, find a 2006 manual.

http://home.comcast.net/~jrdailey/x3int.jpg

jo-e90
01-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Consumer Reports has never and will never test the BMW X3 3.0. as well as the suspension softening change in all models of the '05 and '06.
They only tested the 2.5 and the NEW 3.0si