PDA

View Full Version : Rear Fog Light Switch for X3?

STE92VE
12-30-2007, 05:47 AM
Many of us with E90/E91/E92/E93 have replaced our US spec light switch to enable use of the adaptive brake lights as rear fogs. Anyone have any info if this can be done on the X3 and possibly supply part #'s?

vern
12-30-2007, 06:40 AM
UOTE=STE92VE;2897250]Many of us with E90/E91/E92/E93 have replaced our US spec light switch to enable use of the adaptive brake lights as rear fogs.[/QUOTE]
Is there a DIY for that?
cheers
vern

STE92VE
12-30-2007, 03:21 PM
UOTE=STE92VE;2897250]Many of us with E90/E91/E92/E93 have replaced our US spec light switch to enable use of the adaptive brake lights as rear fogs.
Is there a DIY for that?
cheers
vern[/QUOTE]

There is a DIY for the e90's...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75343

b-y
12-30-2007, 10:21 PM
Two points:

The X3 switch and dash lights are not the same as those on the E90. I doubt the E90 switch will fit in The N.Amer. X3 (although the European X3 switch might).
I have never seen a write-up of a successful retrofit for the N.Amer. X3. I assume there is a reason for that.

STE92VE
12-31-2007, 06:25 AM
Two points:

The X3 switch and dash lights are not the same as those on the E90. I doubt the E90 switch will fit in The N.Amer. X3 (although the European X3 switch might).
I have never seen a write-up of a successful retrofit for the N.Amer. X3. I assume there is a reason for that.

I realize that the switches for the E90s & X3 are different. Checking the UK BMW website, front and rear fogs are standard equipment. I did a little digging on realoem.com and came up with the part# 61313420276 for a Euro light switch where the part # for a US light switch is 61313420297. This would be for a black switch for vehicles equipped with fog lights, rain sensor & xenons.

The rear taillight assemblies are identical for both Euro & US spec vehicles. It would appear that the rear fogs on a X3 are the adaptive brake lights, the same way they are used on the E90s.

I'll find out what's the cost of the Euro switch and will need someone with an X3 to be the test subject.

AzNMpower32
01-09-2008, 08:12 AM
I looked carefully at the taillamps of our '08 loaner. I think this can be done similarly to that of the E90. If someone has a facelifted X3, it would be really cool if they could try it following the same procedure as that for the E90 DIY link above.

The part number is: 61313420276 (black) 61313420277 (beige), or 61313420278 (gray)

For non-xenon vehicles: 61313420273 (black) 61313420274 (beige), or 61313420275 (gray)

The bulbs are already there as part of the adaptive headlights. No additional parts should be necessary.

STE92VE
01-09-2008, 09:02 AM
I've inquired as to the cost of this switch...it would be great if our neighbors to the north would contribute as to the differences in the euro switch.

PimoX3
01-10-2008, 08:24 AM
AFAIK the Canadian models do not have rear fog lights either (at least I've never seen it) - I'm pretty sure it's a European option. The Canadian switch will be the same as US.

STE92VE
01-10-2008, 02:29 PM
AFAIK the Canadian models do not have rear fog lights either (at least I've never seen it) - I'm pretty sure it's a European option. The Canadian switch will be the same as US.

I thought you guys in the Great White North got all the cool stuff like on the Euro cars... According to the BMW UK website, rear fogs are standard equipment. I've heard back from one BMW parts dealer and they stated that they are not able to order that part #. Probably the only way we'll be able to get it on this side of the pond is to find a Euro dealer willing to ship it over or maybe someone who's doing ED, be kind enough to bring some back home with them.

AzNMpower32
01-10-2008, 06:28 PM
That's odd. I thought that as long as you have the part number, you could get it in your hands. I got the european E90 switch (actually, the dealer had it in stock), and I ordered the europe-spec rear power outlet cover for the E90 as well with no difficulty.

STE92VE
01-10-2008, 08:03 PM
That's odd. I thought that as long as you have the part number, you could get it in your hands. I got the european E90 switch (actually, the dealer had it in stock), and I ordered the europe-spec rear power outlet cover for the E90 as well with no difficulty.

I also had acquired the euro light switch for the E90's....I have other RFQ's out there and will advise should I get a positive hit on the X3 switch.

rs6654
02-20-2008, 03:56 PM
I also did the rear fog mod on my '07 328i. I'm looking to swap it for an X3 in a few months and had the same question.

Here is a pic showing a switch with what I'm assuming are both front and rear fog buttons.

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/5287/bmwx32007interior26xo.jpg

STE92VE
02-20-2008, 04:06 PM
According to my research, because the X3 is based on the older E46, it might not be as simple a mod as on the E9x's...It may require a reprogram by the dealer and not just replacing the switch. Also there is the problem that US dealers can't order the Euro part, which means that we need someone on the other continent to procure the switch for us. I've been working on this and will be willing to try when I get my X3 in the future.

STE92VE
02-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Here is a pic showing a switch with what I'm assuming are both front and rear fog buttons.

That is the switch...:thumbup:

rs6654
02-20-2008, 04:16 PM
According to my research, because the X3 is based on the older E46, it might not be as simple a mod as on the E9x's...It may require a reprogram by the dealer and not just replacing the switch. Also there is the problem that US dealers can't order the Euro part, which means that we need someone on the other continent to procure the switch for us. I've been working on this and will be willing to try when I get my X3 in the future.

I never thought of that. I'll keep poking around as well. If I find anything I'll be sure to post it here. I have an old Army buddy still living in Germany that can get one for me if it looks like it will work. If it hasn't been tried by the time I get my X3 I might give it a whorl. Personally I think the rear fogs are more important than the fronts.

airboss1998
02-20-2008, 05:30 PM
I hate to ask the stooopid question, but you talking about back-up lights on for driving? Sorry, not grasping rear fog lights....:dunno:

STE92VE
02-20-2008, 07:15 PM
I hate to ask the stooopid question, but you talking about back-up lights on for driving? Sorry, not grasping rear fog lights....:dunno:

Back up lights are white. Rear fog lights are red and are the same intensity as the brake lights. It's a standard feature in Europe and if used properly, they increase your visibility to anyone behind you during rain, fog and other generally lousy conditions. Anything that helps you avoid getting run into is OK in my book.

airboss1998
02-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Ahhh, thanks.

dashiell
02-20-2008, 07:37 PM
If they are the same intensity and color as the brake lights, what differentiates them from your brakes? In other words, how does the guy behind you know you are stopping?

AzNMpower32
02-20-2008, 08:00 PM
If they are the same intensity and color as the brake lights, what differentiates them from your brakes? In other words, how does the guy behind you know you are stopping?
Because the rear foglights stay illuminated at the same (stronger) intensity, whereas the brake lights illuminate at higher intensity when only when you brake.

HT417
02-20-2008, 09:16 PM
A colleague who's retiring and staying here in Germany is in the process of converting his '07 X3 to German specs. The rear fog lights are part of that conversion and I know that re-programming was involved. I've been holding off posting here until his X3 got the final stamp of approval and I could provide all of the details. I'll check with him today and get an update.

rs6654
02-21-2008, 03:16 AM
A colleague who's retiring and staying here in Germany is in the process of converting his '07 X3 to German specs. The rear fog lights are part of that conversion and I know that re-programming was involved. I've been holding off posting here until his X3 got the final stamp of approval and I could provide all of the details. I'll check with him today and get an update.

Awesome!!:thumbup:

STE92VE
02-21-2008, 04:09 AM

Awesome!!:thumbup:

+1

David1
02-21-2008, 05:36 AM

I get Euro parts all the time. I give my dealer the part number and no problem. Some dealers just don't want to deal with it. Some parts are restricted though such as OEM CSL parts from the older M3's.

STE92VE
02-21-2008, 05:49 AM
I get Euro parts all the time. I give my dealer the part number and no problem. Some dealers just don't want to deal with it. Some parts are restricted though such as OEM CSL parts from the older M3's.

If he can get this part# 61313420276, let us know.

David1
02-21-2008, 06:46 AM
If he can get this part# 61313420276, let us know.

Just got off the phone with my parts guy. That one is not available but the one for the 335 is and that makes no sense. But he did say that they have ordered things that show as unavailable with a VIN# from a euro spec car since they have had success that way.

STE92VE
02-21-2008, 07:05 AM
Just got off the phone with my parts guy. That one is not available but the one for the 335 is and that makes no sense. But he did say that they have ordered things that show as unavailable with a VIN# from a euro spec car since they have had success that way.

I know about the 335 one since I did it on my E92....being not available for the X3 is what I encountered as well. Now all we need is the VIN of a Euro spec X3....

hot_croc
02-21-2008, 07:26 AM
Because the rear foglights stay illuminated at the same (stronger) intensity, whereas the brake lights illuminate at higher intensity when only when you brake.
'02-'03 US spec'd MINIs came with rear fogs and many owners of newer models have done the rear fog conversion. While I agree the rear fog makes you easier to see from behind, being that driver with the fog light constantly in my face, I'm not a fan.

In the MINIs it is a separate light in the lower middle of the bumper... in the X3s (if I'm understanding your posts correctly) it is actually in the tail/brake lights. So dash's question does seem appropriate and Az's answer doesn't make sense to me. How does the driver following you know if you're braking or if it's just your fogs (particularly when US drivers aren't used to/aware of rear fogs) when both lightings have the same 'stronger intensity?' Or am I completely confused and the rear fogs are actually a separate light source than the tail/brake lights?

STE92VE
02-21-2008, 07:36 AM
On the current X3, the rear fog lights are the adaptive brake light bulbs. When the rear fogs are in use, the adaptive brake light function is disabled.

As to having them constantly in your face, many US drivers don't know how to properly use them. Probably the same ones who talk on their cell phones and don't put their lights on when it's raining (one reason that I think DRL's should be mandatory like they are in Canada).

You really won't appreciate their use until you are in a very low visibility situation and don't see the vehicle in front of you until you are right on their tail.

rs6654
02-21-2008, 09:47 AM
This is how the rear fogs are converted (and work) on the E9*'s. I'm hoping the X3's can be converted and work the same way. I also agree that they are very annoying in clear conditions. I never use mine on my 328 unless it's soupy.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26545

STE92VE
02-21-2008, 02:39 PM
This is how the rear fogs are converted (and work) on the E9*'s. I'm hoping the X3's can be converted and work the same way. I also agree that they are very annoying in clear conditions. I never use mine on my 328 unless it's soupy.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26545

This may work on the next gen X3 since it will be based on the E9x, but the current models are based on the E46, so it's not that simple...unfortunately.

rs6654
02-21-2008, 02:52 PM
10-4. Hopefully someone will figure out how we can do it. I'm always amazed at the amount of knowledge there is on these boards.

AzNMpower32
02-21-2008, 06:07 PM
This may work on the next gen X3 since it will be based on the E9x, but the current models are based on the E46, so it's not that simple...unfortunately.
Are you sure? You could be right, in that the LCM may have to be reprogrammed.

However, the facelifted X3 also works like the E90. The bulbs for the rear foglights are already there. The bulbs are capable of being illuminated, but just for us, only under hard braking. I think there is a good chance of success.

In the facelifted E46, the rear foglights were never meant to be illuminated under hard braking because there was another set of brake lights that did that job. Thus, the LCM was not programmed to illuminate the rear foglamps.

STE92VE
02-21-2008, 06:53 PM
However, the facelifted X3 also works like the E90. The bulbs for the rear foglights are already there. The bulbs are capable of being illuminated, but just for us, only under hard braking. I think there is a good chance of success.

In the facelifted E46, the rear foglights were never meant to be illuminated under hard braking because there was another set of brake lights that did that job. Thus, the LCM was not programmed to illuminate the rear foglamps.
Good points.

STE92VE
02-23-2008, 06:32 AM

Here's the VIN from an X3 in Austrailia WBAPC920XOWE70346....

STE92VE
03-01-2008, 06:38 AM

Any progress that you can share at this point?

David1
03-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Keep us posted on the programming.

HT417
03-02-2008, 04:37 AM
Any progress that you can share at this point?

Sorry, I was hoping at this point to be able post pictures and cost but we've been like ships passing in the night. I already mentioned that I'd like to see the bill so I can post the part number and actual costs. I'm hoping to see him next week.

What I can tell you is that the switch was ~70 euros and the total bill was less than 400 euros. If they couldn't have programmed it, it would have been over 2500. Take that to probably mean about $70 and $400 if you can get it done in the states.

If you have specific questions let me know and I'll try to get them answered. I'll ask for details about how to do the programming.

Dirtboy
03-02-2008, 04:57 AM

I did the rear fog light conversion in my 2002 330Ci and all I had to do is replace the light switch panel, tap the LCM for the fog light wire, and add the rear fog light holders. There wasn't any reprogramming involved.

Oh, and my car is U.S. spec.

I'm interested in the X3 rear fog conversion because I may be picking up an X3 to add to the stable.:D

STE92VE
03-02-2008, 07:00 AM
I did the rear fog light conversion in my 2002 330Ci and all I had to do is replace the light switch panel, tap the LCM for the fog light wire, and add the rear fog light holders. There wasn't any reprogramming involved.

Oh, and my car is U.S. spec.

I'm interested in the X3 rear fog conversion because I may be picking up an X3 to add to the stable.:D
Well, since the new X3's have adaptive brake lights, I imagine that as on the E9x, that bulb is used for the rear fog light and no additional bulb holder is necessary.
Will your X3 be US spec as well? Are you stationed in Germany? This is the part# 61313420276 for a Euro light switch for an X3 that has xenons and a black dash. Would you be willing to obtain the cost in USD for this part and possibly ship it to the states. Maybe we can get a group buy together for those that want to attempt this mod and I could receive the bulk shipment and then send it off to those individually.

BTW, nice looking 330Ci you've got there!:thumbup:

x3man
03-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Can one of you Europeans please post a picture of the rear fog lights?

Dirtboy
03-03-2008, 08:03 AM
Well, since the new X3's have adaptive brake lights, I imagine that as on the E9x, that bulb is used for the rear fog light and no additional bulb holder is necessary.
Will your X3 be US spec as well? Are you stationed in Germany? This is the part# 61313420276 for a Euro light switch for an X3 that has xenons and a black dash. Would you be willing to obtain the cost in USD for this part and possibly ship it to the states. Maybe we can get a group buy together for those that want to attempt this mod and I could receive the bulk shipment and then send it off to those individually.

BTW, nice looking 330Ci you've got there!:thumbup:

PM sent.

and thanks!:thumbup:

STE92VE
03-04-2008, 12:08 PM
For those that want to clearly see what the rear fog light is, the end of this video demonstrates the rear fog light. It is the bright red light to the right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBZY0hUqiPA

HT417
03-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Finally caught up with my colleague today, scanned his bill and got some pics.

Looking at the total bill is deceptive because it includes a lot of things unrelated to the fog light mod. The fog light mod requires the switch, fog light cable(s) and programming. All prices are without the Value Added Tax of 19%. Multiply the prices by ~1.55 to equal the equivalent dollar amount. That makes the switch about $120 if you have to get it from here. You'll notice the switch(schalter) part number matches the one Steve posted earlier.

Our opinion is that the left light is brighter. Whether by design or not, this makes sense since you're most concerned with knowing where the left rear corner of the car you're following is, and it's in line with European fog light standards which only light the left rear corner.

I still haven't gotten details on what's involved in the programming but I'll give the SA a call tomorrow. Are there any more questions you want me to ask?

STE92VE
03-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Finally caught up with my colleague today, scanned his bill and got some pics.

Thanks for all your efforts. Given that the switch is not available to be ordered stateside and the UPS charges can be ~$130USD from Germany to the USA, it's looking like it's not worth the $250 for a mod that costs $65 on our E9x's. But then again, some people take perfectly good wheels off their new BMW's and spend $$$$$ to achieve a certain look.

Looking down the road (no pun intended), when the next gen X3 starts being produced in the USA, I'm sure this mod will be more feasible since the Euro switches will already be stateside and if they upgrade the electronics like they did from the E46 to the E9x, it should be a plug and play situation.

AzNMpower32
03-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the detailed write-up. It looks like the conversion is similar to the E53 X5, which meant programming and wiring issues.

I'm always curious what's used to program stuff like this. I wonder if BMW service places have a monopoly on the software that allows you to change programming, or if this is something that can be done by a indy shop that has the equipment. Because if an indy shop has the equipment, there's nothing stopping folks like me from asking them to change stuff. Like the foglight programming. Or the units for fuel consumption. Or perhaps getting rid of the yellow indicator that comes on with the low beams only in the US.

STE92VE
03-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the detailed write-up. It looks like the conversion is similar to the E53 X5, which meant programming and wiring issues.

I'm always curious what's used to program stuff like this. I wonder if BMW service places have a monopoly on the software that allows you to change programming, or if this is something that can be done by a indy shop that has the equipment. Because if an indy shop has the equipment, there's nothing stopping folks like me from asking them to change stuff. Like the foglight programming. Or the units for fuel consumption. Or perhaps getting rid of the yellow indicator that comes on with the low beams only in the US.

Found this:
http://www.carsoftsales.com/bmw/index.htm

and thought that Ross-Tech might make a vag-com for BMW, but they're still working on it:

4.11 Does Ross-Tech make diagnostic software for other makes of cars?

Ross-Tech has plans to introduce a diagnostic package for BMW/MINI and we have put considerable effort into its development. However we've come to realize that before this product can meet the high standards that our
customers have come to expect from VAG-COM, it will require considerably more time and resources than originally planned. Therefore the BMW/Mini product release is not imminent. As this situation changes, we will update this FAQ entry with the relevant information and will post announcements on our News page.

We do not currently have plans to develop manufacturer-specific software for any other makes of cars, but of course, all plans are subject to change. Current versions of VAG-COM can be used as a generic OBD-II scanner on many other makes of cars. Click here for more info.

HT417
03-05-2008, 02:53 AM
Thanks for all your efforts.

Thanks, glad to help when I can. :thumbup:

Given that the switch is not available to be ordered stateside and the UPS charges can be ~$130USD from Germany to the USA, it's looking like it's not worth the $250 for a mod that costs $65 on our E9x's.

No need to spend that much. If one of us buys and mails it to you it should only cost: ~$120 for the switch, $4 for the tax form, and ~$12 for insured shipping via USPS(our primary means of ground shipping over here).

I spoke to the SA a few minutes ago and it looks like all you need besides the switch is to have the shop select the programming option to turn on the rear lights(might be called "turn on aftermarket lights" or something similar). Should be obvious, I'm told. So add that programming charge to the final cost.

I'm thinking about having them added myself. Works wonders for reminding tailgaters of proper following distance.

The SA is an American and has agreed to be contacted by phone or email if anyone wants further assistance.

Hope this helps.

STE92VE
03-05-2008, 04:36 AM
I'm thinking about having them added myself. Works wonders for reminding tailgaters of proper following distance.

:thumbup:...as well as the always effective release of windshield washer fluid!

PM sent.

Dirtboy
03-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Sounds like this could be a DIY almost like the E46 (except the programming part). Does anyone know which pin in the LCM the fog light wire plugs into? Or how bout a Bentley manual for the X3?

AzNMpower32
06-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Folks, I'm currently working on installing the rear foglamps for the X3. If it's ever successful, I'll be sure to post a guide of some sorts. ;)

I bought the European switch when I went to Germany, which costs about €77 incl. 19% MwSt. The dash light now illuminates whenever you push the button. Also bought the bulbs (€1,30) and I purchased the bulb holder when I got back to the US (bad idea, it costs more here $20 each). I've pulled out the tailgate interior trim and installed the bulbs.

Unfortunately, I've stalled in the wiring. The Light Control Module, which seems to be on the lower left side of the cargo area, is impossible to remove or get access to. It can be seen by removing the carpet siding, similar to the warning triangle except on the left side. I've removed various bits and screws but to no avail, and thus, cannot find a place for the wiring to go. The toolkit foam gets in the way of removal as well, and it cannot be removed since its one-piece and I'd have to remove the interior cargo rails. And I don't have the strength for those screws.

I guess I might have to wait and find a shop that's able to find a way to access the LCM before I can install the proper wiring.

HT417
06-08-2009, 05:49 AM
Azn, good luck! :thumbup:

Let us know how it goes.

STE92VE
06-08-2009, 05:57 AM
Azn, good luck! :thumbup:

Let us know how it goes.

+1

From the time I started this thread, the decision was made to get an E90, which we took delivery in Munich. Since BMW does not allow the Euro light switch for the LCI to be ordered by US dealers, I picked one up in Munich and it is now installed.

It will be interesting when the next gen X3 is built in SC to see how easy it will be to install the euro switch to activate the rear fogs.

Good luck to all!

AzNMpower32
06-27-2009, 03:09 PM
HT417, can you contact the person that helped retrofit the rear foglamps to the US-spec X3?

The good news: My X3 has all the wiring in place. Today, I connected the foglights to a wire, which I then wired to the driver's footwell via the rear tailgate and under the left side carpeting. Yes, I yanked every plastic panel and door sill up in order to do this. I also found the LCM (under the steering column and installed a connector into pin #49, which is what the DIY for a E46 3er states. Unfortunately, the pin is not energised when I push the rear foglamp switch, and thus, the bulbs work fine but nothing turns them on.

Can someone determine the correct pin location? I'm soooooooooo close!

b-y
06-27-2009, 03:40 PM
I hate to be the "voice of negativity" here, but 18 months ago I wrote:

Isn't that still correct? :dunno:

Dirtboy
06-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks, glad to help when I can. :thumbup:

No need to spend that much. If one of us buys and mails it to you it should only cost: ~$120 for the switch, $4 for the tax form, and ~$12 for insured shipping via USPS(our primary means of ground shipping over here).

I spoke to the SA a few minutes ago and it looks like all you need besides the switch is to have the shop select the programming option to turn on the rear lights(might be called "turn on aftermarket lights" or something similar). Should be obvious, I'm told. So add that programming charge to the final cost.

The SA is an American and has agreed to be contacted by phone or email if anyone wants further assistance.

Hope this helps.

Any chance this SA would know which pin on the LCM is needed for the rear fog light?:dunno:

HT417
06-28-2009, 01:11 PM
Azn - I'll try to get you an answer if he's in tomorrow. But getting the wire connected to the right point might not be enough. I remember some programming being involved.

b-y - it can be done, a colleague had his 2007 converted to German spec when he retired over here. Check post #44 on page 2 of this thread.

Dirtboy - he'll either know right away or figure it out pretty fast. He's great to work with and he's American so no major language barrier issues.

AzNMpower32
06-28-2009, 02:52 PM
Azn - I'll try to get you an answer if he's in tomorrow. But getting the wire connected to the right point might not be enough. I remember some programming being involved.
Oh by the way, it's for a 2004 X3. I bet the post-LCI models have some differentiation since the rear foglights (Nebelschlussleuchte) double as adaptive brake lights on those models. But on mine, the lamps and wiring were simply not there.

I have the European switch, and when I hit the button, the indicator on the instrument panel DOES light up.

HT417
06-29-2009, 08:25 AM
Oh by the way, it's for a 2004 X3. I bet the post-LCI models have some differentiation since the rear foglights (Nebelschlussleuchte) double as adaptive brake lights on those models. But on mine, the lamps and wiring were simply not there.

I have the European switch, and when I hit the button, the indicator on the instrument panel DOES light up.

AzN - I couldn't reach him today. Not unusual because of the way they do their schedule. I'll try again tomorrow.

AzNMpower32
06-29-2009, 08:49 AM
AzN - I couldn't reach him today. Not unusual because of the way they do their schedule. I'll try again tomorrow.
It's okay, just reply whenever he gets the chance. I've put everything back where it belongs, and it's a simple matter to unscrew the plastic panel under the steering column. It's literally "pre-wired" :D

HT417
07-01-2009, 12:11 AM
AzN - nothing but bad news yesterday. I found out that our American SA decided to return to the states permanently and flew yesterday. I hope he stays with BMW. Everyone will benefit from it.

I spoke to one of the other SA's and, if I understood him correctly, there's no longer a way to enable the fog lights without a complete conversion to German specs. He said there was a loophole earlier where it could be done but they've since closed that due to something about the differences in the ways the German and American airbags are configured. Maybe fog light usage conflicts with airbag employment due to different pinouts. :dunno:

Regardless, BMW must provide the dealership with an unlocking code to enable the fog light operation to be programmed and they will only do so once the vehicle has been completely coverted at a cost of approx. 2500 euros.

I sincerely apologize for having given you and others false hope but in all of my contact with the dealership during the course of this thread I was never given to believe there was any more to it than simply installing a new switch, cable, bulbs and performing the programming.

Having reread some of your posts, it's clear that you've done a lot of research and maybe you can still find a way around it. I'll PM you the contact info for the person I spoke with if you want it. Just let me know.

b-y - unfortunately, it seems the record stands - no sucessful retrofits on the X3.

AzNMpower32
07-02-2009, 05:52 AM
Some folks on a German forum answered my question. As it stands, technically the procedure is similar to that of the E46. The pin #49 is the correct location, however it needs to be programmed to be energised. If the programming is something that cannot be done on this side of the pond, perhaps I'll just hook it up to come on with the front foglamps. I really don't want to have come this far to have zero results.

At least the extra button and light on the dash is cool to play with :p

HT417
07-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Some folks on a German forum answered my question. As it stands, technically the procedure is similar to that of the E46. The pin #49 is the correct location, however it needs to be programmed to be energised. If the programming is something that cannot be done on this side of the pond, perhaps I'll just hook it up to come on with the front foglamps. I really don't want to have come this far to have zero results.

At least the extra button and light on the dash is cool to play with :p

Great! All's not lost. At least we finally made it to the end of the rabbit hole.

AussieX
07-06-2009, 12:44 AM
Just as an aside, in most countries which allow the rear fog light, it is only a single bright light on the drivers side of the car which is how those following know the fog light is lit.

Now those idiots who drive with it on all the time....

johnf
07-06-2009, 01:22 AM
Just as an aside, in most countries which allow the rear fog light, it is only a single bright light on the drivers side of the car which is how those following know the fog light is lit.If only that were so. The one measure the UNECE vehicle regulations take to reduce the confusion is to require the rear fog light or fog lights be at least 100 mm from the nearest brake light.

I wish the regulations required that the lights automatically shut off above 50 km/h.

johnf
07-06-2009, 05:53 AM
Some folks on a German forum answered my question.Have you got a link? A colleague of a friend is interested in enabling the rear fog lights and I may end up helping them.

AzNMpower32
07-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Have you got a link? A colleague of a friend is interested in enabling the rear fog lights and I may end up helping them.
http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/x3-us-import-t1809063.html?page=2#post20878830

It's a long thread.

johnf
07-07-2009, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the link. I will probably be talking with my friend later today.

Dirtboy
07-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Pin #49.... sweet! This is exactly what I had to do with my e46 way back in 2002.

Now which pin connector is the right one?
BUSHING CONTACT 0,2- 0,5MM˛ 61130005199
BUSHING CONTACT 0,75MM˛ 61130006665
E83N X3 3.0si Control element light (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=PC91&mospid=49509&btnr=61_2118&hg=61&fg=35&hl=31)

I'm gonna get on this and let ya'll know how it goes.:D

AzNMpower32
07-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Ok I'm 90% done. All the following applies to pre-facelift models.

The bad news: I have yet to find a power source that will be switched on with the dash button. Even if you do insert a pin into #49, that pin is not programmed to be energised for NA-spec X3. Even if the dash icon lights up, which it does with the switch, no power is sent to that pin. The light settings should be programmed to ECE/International specs, which no dealer in the US has and will also trigger the airbag light. European models don't have a weight sensor for the front pass seat.

The good news: I'm just waiting for a competent dealer/technician to hook it up to come on with the front foglamps. That way, the rear foglights will be energised whenever the front foglamps are turned on. And since I practically never use the front foglights anyway unless there's fog, "improper use" won't be much of an issue.

Unfortunately, I've never been good with electrics. I can pull car parts apart and put them back without rattles, but give me wires and I'm usually completely defeated :dunno:

For now, a temporary solution is some weird power adaptor cord that my dad handed me. It plugs into the cig lighter (bulbs are 12V) and the other end (round and normally used to power something) I just fasten to the rear foglight wire, which I've set under the steering column, pre-wired and ready to be connected by the tech. The LCM is behind the steering column, for those interested.

This is how the first US-spec X3 looks (its a mobile phone camera, not great quality) with them activated. I'll have to settle for this temporary solution for a little while. Not bad for a 20-year old that's not mechanically inclined I guess.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/AzN1MpOrT2nR/my%20X3/NSL.jpg

enamoured
07-20-2009, 07:09 AM
Great job buddy :thumbup: Hope you will find someone soon to hook it up with front fog lights.

darenz
03-30-2010, 05:16 AM
Update and success: I know this thread is getting old but ECS Tuning got me the Euro switch 61313420276 (Black for Xenons, fog lights, rain sensor with or without adaptive headlights) for my 2008 X3 LCI. 5 minute install and adaptive brake lights are now also rear fog lights just like the E92 conversion I did earlier. No programing or wiring of the LCM required. This should work on model years 2007+

al_macaroni
03-30-2010, 05:45 AM
Great news for the LCI owners.

thayerV
03-30-2010, 07:25 AM
Update and success: I know this thread is getting old but ECS Tuning got me the Euro switch 61313420276 (Black for Xenons, fog lights, rain sensor with or without adaptive headlights) for my 2008 X3 LCI. 5 minute install and adaptive brake lights are now also rear fog lights just like the E92 conversion I did earlier. No programing or wiring of the LCM required. This should work on model years 2007+
Exactly what I was waiting for!! Thanks for posting.:thumbup:

Zeke77
11-19-2011, 08:48 PM
I'm resuscitating this thread because I need a little confidence in removing the trim plate that surrounds the fog light switch. I just received the Euro fog light assembly from ECN, but I'm a little squeamish about the trim plate. The structure of the new switch seems to indicate that I should be inserting/pushing a screwdriver at the top of the trim plate just below the air conditioner vent--but it really feels like I'm about to break something when I try to pry this part off of the dash. Any advice or pictures?

Evlengr
11-20-2011, 03:50 AM
I'm resuscitating this thread because I need a little confidence in removing the trim plate that surrounds the fog light switch. I just received the Euro fog light assembly from ECN, but I'm a little squeamish about the trim plate. The structure of the new switch seems to indicate that I should be inserting/pushing a screwdriver at the top of the trim plate just below the air conditioner vent--but it really feels like I'm about to break something when I try to pry this part off of the dash. Any advice or pictures?

First off....Never use a screwdriver to pry anything from interior facia. A good said of nylon/glass pry tools will run you all of about $10 from harborfreight and will save you hundreds in replacing scratched or cracked wood trim.

This is the exact set I bought from them and they work great: http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?keyword=nylon+pry+tools

I don't need to do this but I 'll try to pop it open and take pics later in the week if no one has pics :thumbup:

Zeke77
11-20-2011, 08:40 AM
Thanks Evl. Definitely agree on the screwdriver...that's kinda why I put out the question. A big part of my brain kept saying "this will not end well." Thanks for the tip on the nylon tools, too...Going to see if I can pick up a set locally, but if not, I'll use your link. PLEASE post pics if you do happen to pop out the plate on your own. Much appreciated.

timfitz63
11-20-2011, 08:56 AM
Here are a couple other previous thread on this modification; both contain relevant information:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488984
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489798 (in particular, my Post #38 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5549027&postcount=38) in which I've detailed, pretty-much, step by step what to do).

I think there are some photos posted in one of those threads from someone who also has done this modification -- which is just about the simplest mechanical thing I've ever done on any vehicle I've owned short of changing the air filter. In my case, I went and got a $1 plastic putty knife at Home Depot and used that to remove the trim. :thumbup:

Zeke77
11-20-2011, 09:57 AM
TimFitz...Post #38 is EXACTLY what I needed as a guide. Thanks!

Zeke77
11-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Quick update: Finally got around to installing the switch today. What a difference it makes having the right tools...The whole exercise took about 10 minutes tops (including the time I spent fishing out the tiny Torx head I dropped down the side of the driver seat.) Very easy once I had the plastic pry tools recommended by Evlenger and the guidance by TimFitz. I don't consider myself very "handy," so for others like myself, let me list three quick notes that were probably obvious to everyone else who has done this mod:

1. I ordered from ECN, and the switch will arrive with a standard black panel framing that assumes you have black interior. As noted earlier in this thread, you will need to remove this housing if you have any other color interior and replace it with the interior framing panel surrounding your current switch. Easy to do, but you will need a size T6 Torx screwdriver to remove the screws.

2. The plug assembly that attaches to the switch is held in place by a U-shaped plastic lever. This was not obvious to me at first, but I could tell that a simple tug on the plug was not going to be sufficient to disconnect it from the switch. Again, the process is simple once you see that you need to push down on a small "tongue" at the base of the switch, and pull back the U-shaped lever.

3. TimFitz already pointed this out, but I will repeat for emphasis: Remove the vent housing above the switch FIRST. The switch is much easier to remove after that. Once you have the new switch connected, the vent housing is--again--the first thing to put back into the dash.