PDA

View Full Version : Passenger airbags off

dicor
12-30-2007, 05:07 PM
The passenger airbag off light remains lit even when unocupied. Is this normal? It's very annoying at night.

loosemoose
12-30-2007, 08:41 PM
That's normal. The passenger seat has a sensor that will activate the passenger airbag when a certain amount of weight is detected. The 'airbag off' light turns on when the weight is not detected. This includes the phantom weight of no passenger.

It is annoying at night.

It's also annoying if my girlfriend sits in the seat crosslegged (as she likes to do on long trips). Somehow in this position, her weight is not detected and the airbag is turned off. Not exactly what I want to happen on the interstate.

You could cut a small piece of electrical tape to cover it...but it is nice to know sometimes if it is on or not with an adult passenger.

kjboyd
12-30-2007, 08:52 PM
actually, the 04s had trouble with the sensors and might need replacing. you should have it looked it at the dealer.

bobbyjoe
12-30-2007, 10:51 PM
Slightly off topic - but is there a way to deactivate the passenger side "no seatbelt" alarm? I've put my bags on the seat once or twice and started driving, only to have the car beeping annoyingly telling me my "passenger" is not wearing a seatbelt. I don't car about the "no-seatbelt" light so much, just that beeping!

dicor
12-31-2007, 11:19 AM
actually, the 04s had trouble with the sensors and might need replacing. you should have it looked it at the dealer.

I had it in a couple of weeks ago they already replace the weight mat because the light would stay on with a adult strapped in. That has been corrected.

judybe83
12-31-2007, 02:33 PM
A small piece of electric tape strategically :eek: placed has solved that very bright lights problem :tsk:.

There was a thread here or one of the other X3 forums explaining how to take the light apart to dim the light.

ab

danes73
01-29-2008, 02:27 AM
"The 'airbag off' light turns on when the weight is not detected. This includes the phantom weight of no passenger."

Where is the 'airbag off' light I don't see this light at all, never have.
Is it under speedometer when milage and inspection display??

Does it only display on ignition start up or does it perm display?

Thx
Dan

dicor
01-29-2008, 03:40 AM
It is located on the roof panel to the right of the sun roof switch. However I see your from the UK. Europe regulation may not make the car manufacturers disable the passenger airabag when a childseat is present. In the US there needs to be either a manual or automated airbag shut off switch.

Andrew*Debbie
01-29-2008, 04:54 AM
Where is the 'airbag off' light I don't see this light at all, never have.
Is it under speedometer when milage and inspection display??

Does it only display on ignition start up or does it perm display?

Thx
Dan

2004 X3s have a known problem with passenger seat sensor. You should take your X3 in to the dealer.

sfca-325i
01-29-2008, 08:18 AM
On the 2004's when the passenger seat mat fails, the RED airbag light will appear on the dash cluster. The overhead "airbag off" light is not an indicator to be used to determine if there is a problem with the passenger seat mat .... unless the overhead light won't extinguish when a passenger is in the passenger seat.

Bamafn1
01-29-2008, 08:31 AM
Slightly off topic - but is there a way to deactivate the passenger side "no seatbelt" alarm? I've put my bags on the seat once or twice and started driving, only to have the car beeping annoyingly telling me my "passenger" is not wearing a seatbelt. I don't car about the "no-seatbelt" light so much, just that beeping!

Either don't put things on the seat, or keep the seat belt fastened. The car is not smart enough to know that it's not a small person there, but you "bags".