PDA

View Full Version : New X3 Owner...Same ol' Bimmerfest Member

Driver8
01-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Hi All - Driver8 here. I've been a BMW owner, Bimmer nut and CCA member for many years, having owned a '95 M3, '98 528i, '02 X5 4.4i, '03 530i, '04 325i, '04 X5 3.0i, '06 330i and now, a very lightly used '07 E83 X3 3.0si. It's Monaco Blue over Sand Leather and is equipped with Premium/Cold Weather/Pano Roof/M-Sport/BMW Assist and XM/Blitzsafe (my first mod). I utilized this board (and Tom G. at EAS) to help me figure out that I had to change out the white plug behind the head unit to get it to work :) .

A planned mod is a tasteful upgrade to 19" or 20" wheels at some point (anyone selling a set of 19" Styling 145s w/ tires?). I wouldn't mind swapping out the springs either to drop it an inch to inch-point-five, which I think would be a perfect companion mod to the +1 wheel/tire upgrade. I have a set of black all weather mats on order. (Anyone interested in a set of like new tan OEM all-weather mats? PM me for more info!) I'm also checking out some of the storage area optional toys offered by BMW.

Likes: Having traded an '06 F250 Harley-Davidson F250 4wd crew cab truck for this little SAV, I can tell you that size, mileage, handling, build quality, "fun-to-drive" and acceleration are all right up there near the top. Compared with my x5 3.0i, this car is more fun to drive, a little smaller across the beam, a little less lux here and there, about the same amount of space in the back...hmm, definitely quicker and better handling than the X5, as it should be since it weighs quite a bit less. Love the M-Sport steering wheel! I replaced the standard sport wheel in my X5 with one of these and it was the best mod ever! I definitely feel better with the smaller "carbon footprint" this Lil X has compared to the F250 (and the 50% better fuel mileage is a nice bonus). The stereo is pretty decent for a non-upgrade unit. It's not the Logic7 that's in my wife's E90, but it ain't bad. Finally, I really like the subtle facelift/interior mods that came online in 2007...nice work, Mr. Bangle et al.

Dislikes: The pretty much ubiquitous automatic transmission issues... Specifically, I don't like how it shifts on takeoff. Once moving it's fine, but it seems awfully abrupt and the timing of the shifts is awkward getting to that point, or so it seems. It's going in Jan 8 for the SIB update. I wish it had the option to dial using BT with the MID like my X5 had. I'm not sure what benefit the voice control unit offers (it kinda reminds me of the Service Manager where I used to have the F250 serviced...asks questions but doesn't understand responses). Finally, I think it's a universal thing with all new BMWs, but the heavy, "hewn from a block of granite" feel that the last generation BMWs had in abundance is missing from the new models, specifically, the heft of the doors, the way they close, etc. is not what it used to be. It's not a huge concern, but it is noticeable.

Question: What engine does the 3.0si have? Is it the same new I6 engine as in my wife's '06 330i or is it a revision of the former E46 3.0i engine? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the 3.0si was the new motor, but I'm not certain about that.

That's about it. Hope I didn't bore anyone to tears! I'm looking forward to reading more and getting to know the regulars here. I'll post some pics when I get a chance to take some. Cheers!

Mike

ericbell1
01-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Glad you like your X3 - this is our first BMW and we love it (other than the tranny issue). Tranny wouldve been fixed sooner had we not had a run-in with a deer..

BTW - ours has same color scheme - looks beautiful for the initial ten minutes after being washed.

MJS
01-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Congrats on the new X3! Sounds like a nice color combo.

I believe the engine is the same one as the '06 330i. Not 100% sure though.

STE92VE
01-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Question: What engine does the 3.0si have? Is it the same new I6 engine as in my wife's '06 330i or is it a revision of the former E46 3.0i engine? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the 3.0si was the new motor, but I'm not certain about that.

That's about it. Hope I didn't bore anyone to tears! I'm looking forward to reading more and getting to know the regulars here. I'll post some pics when I get a chance to take some. Cheers!

Mike

Best of luck with your "like" new ride!:thumbup:

As for the engine, it's the N52 high output model with 260HP, new for the 2007 X3
The N52KP is available in three versions as follows:
N52B30O1 - High Output version with 260hp
N52B30M1 - Medium Output version with 230hp
N52B30U1 - Possible future application with 215hp

Hope you get your tranny issues resolved.