PDA

View Full Version : Newbie: What's the warranty worth?

MLB007
01-03-2008, 08:31 PM
I need to buy a 6000GVWR vehicle and the X5 would be my first choice at this point. (bunch of big trucks and vans otherwise)
I've found a very clean 04 with 20k miles, all options but nav, for 29k (private party) but the warranty expires next month.

The local dealer has several 05's that give me one year of oem warranty. They sell the certified used vehicle program with 2 year extended warranty starting after the original expires. They are asking 35ish for the 05's, they have upper 20's to 30's k miles. All of them appear to be off lease vehicles, do people abuse leased cars more?

Is the dealer certified used car warranty a "full" coverage warranty or covers "some" like most of the ones offered? In general I stay away from extended warranty offers but the potential costs of repairs of this (and similar) cars scares me quite a bit. This is kind of a one shot deal for me to spend this kind of money, normally out of my range (and comfort range for repair work cost). But I'm not helpless and am an enthusiast. Have a Miata in the garage and a buddy that works on exotics (motors mostly) across the street. I've seen the mail order places for "reasonable" parts prices and can do fluid changes and brakes myself. I'd GUESS that electronic buggaboos would be a common (expensive) problem?

The 05's would appear to cost an extra 5k or so plus dealing with dealer BS and whatever charges they try to tack on. Are there REALLY that many high dollar repairs that occur frequently enough to make it advisable to spend 1k a year in insurance?

I love BMW's, sold them 20 years ago. An X5 wouldn't be my first choice (ok, last), but the GVWR decided that.
Hope to be joining you soon! :thumbup:

Big "J"
01-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Are you looking at the 6 or 8 cyl.

IMHO, extended warranties are a pocket book saver and piece of mind for me. Yeah, I hate the added cost to the bottom line but, I've heard too many people say, thank God for the warranty.

I think you'd be safe with a CPO X5.

MLB007
01-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Would love the 8, but in my very rushed couple days of reading it appears they have more problems than the 3.0, plus the gas mileage.
So do you know if the CPO is truly 'bumper to bumper'?
I thought I read somewhere that one can buy the extended warranty in non-dealer situation sales as long as the original warranty hasn't expired.???
But that's 2 years at what 3k+?? $1500 a year. Ouch.
The 04 is really clean, a guy with a bunch of cars (it's his wifes) has it. Going from 20,000 to 35,000 miles starting point is a couple of years driving to me with this vehicle.

What are the most common "thank god for warranty" items? I've seen transmissions mentioned mostly.

I'd REALLY like one without all the packages. Without all the electronic gobbled**** to mess up. But nobody seems to want those, or they just don't want to sell those.

Big "J"
01-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Would love the 8, but in my very rushed couple days of reading it appears they have more problems than the 3.0, plus the gas mileage.
So do you know if the CPO is truly 'bumper to bumper'?
I thought I read somewhere that one can buy the extended warranty in non-dealer situation sales as long as the original warranty hasn't expired.???
But that's 2 years at what 3k+?? $1500 a year. Ouch.
The 04 is really clean, a guy with a bunch of cars (it's his wifes) has it. Going from 20,000 to 35,000 miles starting point is a couple of years driving to me with this vehicle.

What are the most common "thank god for warranty" items? I've seen transmissions mentioned mostly.

I'd REALLY like one without all the packages. Without all the electronic gobbled**** to mess up. But nobody seems to want those, or they just don't want to sell those.

I have the 3.0i and love it. Mine is plain Jane not many bells and whistles to have fail.

Yes, CPO's are usually "bumper to bumper" but don't cover parts that tend to wear out. (Brakes, hoses, oil/ air filters,...etc.) They more commonly cover drive train, electrical and certain cosmetics.

If your financing it through your lending institution they generally offer extended warranties of different levels. Mine did and I got an extra 3 yr/ 45K warranty for $1900, which I simply added to the loan.

From what I've seen too, is tranny, CV joints (boots) and electrical issues with the instrument panel and NAV, I-drive stuff, window motors.

But, like you I see the tranny issues with the V8's mostly?????

MLB007
01-04-2008, 03:58 PM
I'll be paying cash.
That warranty from the bank is a lot cheaper than BMW's. Cover as much?
If I don't buy from a dealer or finance it, where would buy a reputable warranty?

One of the pluses of the private owner 5 is no nav. 4 y/o navs were pretty clunky back then. Give me a decent up to date portable and I'll be happy.

Seems like everything with decently low miles is loaded up, off lease mostly I assume.
The only lightly optioned ones have been higher mileage than I want.
And I don't have time to be patient. (I need this to have happened on 12/31 , so I'm not sure if a dealer can help me or not)

Big "J"
01-04-2008, 04:13 PM
It's a "silver" package... covers less than the gold one.... but, items like the heated seats, power seat adjustments, power windows, etc... aren't covered. Everything else more or less is.

I'll check and see who mine is through... it's a third party company that teamed up with my credit union to offer warranties. I'll have to get that to you this weekend.
When I bought mine, I registered it with BMWUSA.... some 800 number you call, I'll get that to you as well.... and then shortly after I started getting extended warranty offer letters. So there is a bunch of companies that offer it. Just deciding which one is not a scam is tricky.

Big "J"
01-06-2008, 06:54 PM
The number to call to register your BMW is 1-800-831-1117

The warranty group I'm signed up with is: CUNA Mutual Group. They teamed up with my Credit Union to work these deals. I hope I never have to use them but, you never know?

MLB007
01-07-2008, 08:30 PM
The number to call to register your BMW is 1-800-831-1117

The warranty group I'm signed up with is: CUNA Mutual Group. They teamed up with my Credit Union to work these deals. I hope I never have to use them but, you never know?

Thank you kindly! :thumbup:

oldredwheels
01-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Guys,

I bought an X5 3.0 CPO with 1.5 years left on the 50K/4yr maintenance. The CPO warranty goes 6years or 100K on most everything major and like someone said, not wear items. The maintenance covers pretty much everything exept tires, alignments, light bulbs. It does include wipers, oil changes and a zillion other things. I then bought the extended maintenance agreement which brought it out to the same length (or longer I've got to check) as the CPO. It costed me about $1700 and is offered only by BMWUSA, not aftermarket. It is transferable with the vehicle if you sell it.

Bottom line, between the two, its saved me a ton; regular service intervals alone would have passed the 1700, not including transmission work, window regulator, power lock issues.

If you buy a bimmer, get it CPO and strongly consider the extended maintenance agreement.

oldredwheels.