PDA

View Full Version : 2008 X3 Alternative

cintroncar
01-05-2008, 08:23 PM
It has been discussed in this forum that the 2007 X3 and possible the 2008 X3 have transmission problems. What are other possible alternatives for buyers who are thinking in buying a 2008 X3 and now have second thoughts. I know that a good alternative is to buy a 2006 X3 (this option is what I am considering). Any other recommendations? What other suvs are similar, handling wise, to BMW X3.

Thanks.

kjboyd
01-05-2008, 08:25 PM
none, just get the X3 with a stick.

AzNMpower32
01-05-2008, 08:56 PM
There isn't a "close" competitor to the X3, as there is in the case of the 3-series. The X3 was the first 'ute of its class, and it kind of started the niche. The Acura RDX just came out to compete, but the 4 cyl turbo is nowhere near as refined, smooth, or easily controlled as the Bavarian's inline-six. There is the Land Rover LR2, but that's decidedly more truckish. You can go for a Lexus RX350, but that's well.......a Lexus. 'nuff said. (It's aging too)

Outside of the luxury marque, there's a LOT of larger alternatives. GM, Toyota, Honda all have the Acadia, Highlander, and Pilot, respectively. They're all substantially larger though, and IMO the X3 is just the right size to squeeze around urban areas. The Pilot is seriously aging as well.

Andrew*Debbie
01-05-2008, 09:03 PM
What other suvs are similar, handling wise, to BMW X3.

Have you looked at the small Subaru? It isn't a luxury car, but they are nice to drive and have high predicted reliability. Subaru was one of the very few cars on our short list.

It is important to note that many of the X3s don't have problems. It is a roll of the dice and the number of problems is certainly higher than it should be.

+1 on the MT. Our 2007 X3 is a great car.

Evlengr
01-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Please remember that unlike door seals or windows leaking this problem is life threatening!

The only thing I can think of worse would be brakes that work 95% of the time.

If only 5% or using A/D's references to CR of 2% that means 460 of the delivered vehicles could get you killed. Sorry I don't like being part of that roll of the dice.

Craps is a safer bet.

I am asking for a MT from CS this week or I simply want a buy back.

It's too risky to have a vehicle that accelerates properly 95% of the time in city driving.

I figure I'll just get a RAV4 and buy another Porsche and be done with it.

AzNMpower32
01-05-2008, 09:24 PM
What's wrong with the brakes? This isn't a brake-by-wire like Mercs had back a couple years ago.

Evlengr
01-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Oh geez I mean the only thing I can think of that would be worse than a vehicle that won't get you out of a lurch 5% of the time is one that won't prevent you from being in one 5% of the time.

Many of the complaints that people have talked about in past years have been flaws that are non-life threatening.

Having a vehicle that will not accelerate when you want to get out of the way or have entered traffic could only be worse by one that won't stop at a traffic light 5% of the time.

No one will die from a leaky roof, or squeaky doors, this design flaw and constant tweeking with SIB software upgrades will eventually get someone killed.

cotandem
01-06-2008, 08:42 AM
Although we are very pleased with our 2007 X3 (automatic), we would compare/test drive it with the new Infiniti EX35 that is just coming out if we were buying now. Also we might look at a low mileage used X5 or Cayenne (base). Very few other vehicles allow us to put our tandem bicycle inside the vehicle. FYI, since the software upgrade, 95% of transmission issues are gone. Good luck!

zznalg
01-06-2008, 08:47 AM
The X3 manual is damn near perfect.
The RDX is ridiculous and very unsafe due to its unreliable power delivery; I owned one and posted elsewhere on this board about it. Search for my posts.
The new Infinity E35 may be a contender in the handling department.
The upcoming Subaru Forester -with the turbo- may be a contender. It will reportedly be a bit more upscale.
A Subaru Outback Turbo is great and has a similar mission in life as the X3 -without the handling and also minus some luxury.
The upcoming VW Tiguan may be a contender but again, nothing handles like a BMW. Also, beware of new (and even mature) VW vehicle reliability problems.
A strong competitor if you can wait 8 months will be the '09 Audi A4 Avant; if you don't need ground clearance.
Also, of course, there's always the 328xi wagon -with the same GM transmission as the X3.

Oh, and if you want to go nuts, there's also the new 2008 Subaru WRX STI; for the boy racer in you.

Lots of choices! Have fun.

UncleJ
01-06-2008, 08:53 AM
The base Cayenne is very close in price and IMHO better in handling and performance as well. If I didn't need a 7 seater next time that is what I would replace my '06 X3 with. That said, I have to say in 25K miles my X3 A/T has had no problems at all. There are a bunch of good alternatives out there now and the list keeps growing each day. The new EX35 might be worth a look, as would the Q5 from Audi. For rocket sled performance then check the WRXsti from Subi. There even are rumors that the Forester WRXsti will make it over here from Japan. THAT will be a cute ute!

Evlengr
01-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Well I may look at the E35 as an alternative, but I would perfer to just get a MT at this point or do what I originally planned and get an inexpensive SUV (aka RAV4) and then buy a sports car..Porsche. I have always liked the 968's.

This has turned into the Ultimate Bummer.....95% of the time is not good enough with a tranny/acceleration issue.

zznalg
01-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Well I may look at the E35 as an alternative, but I would perfer to just get a MT at this point or do what I originally planned and get an inexpensive SUV (aka RAV4) and then buy a sports car..Porsche. I have always liked the 968's.

This has turned into the Ultimate Bummer.....95% of the time is not good enough with a tranny/acceleration issue.

968!! Fantastic. They're a bargain these days as well.

For an inexpensive manual SUV, the new Forester is being unveiled, I think in Detroit, in the next week of so. It's a lot nicer looking than the outgoing model.

Lance Alot
01-06-2008, 09:19 AM
We just purchased a 2008 X3 with Automatic, and so far (just 600 miles) - there have been absolutely no issues with the transmission. I personally don't think there is a better vehicle in it's class, and you should drive one before ruling it out. I'd also drive the one that you intend on purchasing, so you can feel confident that your transmission works Ok.

The RDX is probably the next closest competitor, but I don't think it's nearly as refined as the X3. If you are willing to look at vehicles in a larger class, the X5 or Acura MDX are good choices. The Cayenne and VW Toureg are very nice looking, but I think they're much less reliable and don't handle as well.

briguynyc
01-06-2008, 12:07 PM
The infiniti EX35 is also trying to compete with the X3. It does not have nearly the same interior utility, but is targeting BMW. It is at least worth a look if you are looking at the X3, along with the RDX.

HT417
01-06-2008, 12:48 PM
I've never liked the comfort of the seats in Japanese models and they seem to lack a little bit of passion or soul or something.

My first choice was the Cayenne V6 but in the end the X3 beat it on size, weight, fuel efficiency, free automatic tranny, acceleration and maintainence costs - I've read posts from Touareg owners saying it cost them around $2300 to replace the brakes and rotors at between 20K to 30K miles. The Porsche I'm sure wasn't going to be any cheaper. But even the V6 sounds good. Check out YouTube for a couple of good videos. It was YouTube, BTW, that closed the deal for me on the X3 - after I heard the engine as one of the posters was rolling through the gears I realized I could save about $8K and still be happy. :D

jo-e90
01-06-2008, 02:46 PM
What about the ML350?

zznalg
01-06-2008, 03:26 PM
What about the ML350?

Boo-Hiss -from the peanut gallery.

I'm just not a M-B fan.
Maybe it's a decent vehicle...

Andrew*Debbie
01-06-2008, 04:41 PM
What about the ML350?

Predicted reliability is far worse than the X3. The ML is so bad, the black bar goes off the chart. Several reviews have indicated transmission shifting problems. If you don't want an X3 because of the Auto box, you really don't want an ML350.

From the CR road test

The new seven-speed automatic transmission helped performance, but it would often shift abruptly or with a slight delay. Its column-mounted electronic shifter lacks tactile feedback.

We expect reliability to be much worse than average, according to our latest subscriber survey.

Andrew*Debbie
01-06-2008, 04:51 PM
T
Also, of course, there's always the 328xi wagon -with the same GM transmission as the X3.

Magna builds the Automatic Transfer Case for both cars too.

But for some reason with a much lower rate of reported problems, both here on Bimmerfest and over at CR.

The problem isn't the transmission hardware. It is the software along with DTC problems being mislabeled as transmission problems.

x3eer
01-06-2008, 07:15 PM

I never understand why Evlengr is wasting his energy and time by keeping his problematic and 95% unsatisfied x3. :dunno:

Just trade in for Rav4 or Porsche.

I have about 1200 miles on my 08 X3 with automatic, and no transmission issues at all.

For alternatives, if you nail down the list based on the size and price wise, 328xi wagon would be the next closest alternative IMO, and then RDX, EX35 and LR2.

RDX ***8211; If I have to go with turbo, I would definitely go with Subaru.
EX35 ***8211; It wasn***8217;t available when I was in market, but I wanted to have some cargo space not the trunk.
LR2 ***8211; No way***8230;

iamthewalrus
01-06-2008, 08:00 PM
If you don't need the ground clearance, the A4 avant is worth considering. Yes, the new platform is coming out in a year or so, but the current 2.0T is a great engine, plenty of power, and gets great mileage too. Worth a test drive anyway.

-James
2006 BMW X3 3.0 manual
2006 BMW 330Cic manual (sold)
1998 Audi A4 2.8Q Tiptronic (sold)

AzNMpower32
01-06-2008, 08:20 PM
What about the ML350?
If you think BMWs are unreliable, Mercs are even worse.

bobbyjoe
01-06-2008, 10:01 PM
With regards to handling, I have to agree with AzNMpower32. Nothing quite like the X3. If you are willing to sacrifice a bit of handling, I would recommend the Lexus RX350. I drove a RX300 for 4 years and then switched to a RX330 for another 4 years and just recently switched over to the X3 because I really like the handling, acceleration and wanted to try something different.

Rx350:
Pros - really good build quality. *Never* had any mechanical issues.
Very similar exterior size, but much more interior space.
Integrated GPS is intuitive and simple to use (QWERTY touch screen).
Smooth transmission.
~21.4mpg (city +highway) real life.

Cons - Excessively (in my opinion) soft ride.
No panoramic sunroof.

There are other things I miss but for me, those are the major things. I have not had any mechanical issues on my steptronic X3 yet, but shortly after I got the car I was approaching a traffic light and was just letting the car coast towards the lights when I think it decided to downshift (I don't drive manual, but the tach jumped from ~1.5k to 3k rpm) and the car lurched forward. I had to step on the brakes to prevent it from hitting the car in front. So far it has only happened that one time.

I don't know if I would call mine a "transmission issue" but I do find that the car shifts less smoothly than the Lexus, especially when I let it coast towards a stop. It seems to like downshift early resulting in the car being "dragged" slower instead of just coasting smoothly. I realize that I said downshift in both accelerating and decelerating scenarios... if anyone can enlighten me on the contradiction, please do.

Evlengr
01-07-2008, 01:31 AM
I never understand why Evlengr is wasting his energy and time by keeping his problematic and 95% unsatisfied x3. :dunno:

Just trade in for Rav4 or Porsche.

I have about 1200 miles on my 08 X3 with automatic, and no transmission issues at all.

For alternatives, if you nail down the list based on the size and price wise, 328xi wagon would be the next closest alternative IMO, and then RDX, EX35 and LR2.

RDX – If I have to go with turbo, I would definitely go with Subaru.
EX35 – It wasn't available when I was in market, but I wanted to have some cargo space not the trunk.
LR2 – No way….

Because I am not going to eat the cost of trading it in, especially after spending all the time of installing a custom sound system. Plus deep down inside I want it to work. In the meantime I think it is my responsibility to warn others of the pitfalls that lay ahead of them should this not be resolved.

x3eer
01-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Because I am not going to eat the cost of trading it in, especially after spending all the time of installing a custom sound system. Plus deep down inside I want it to work. In the meantime I think it is my responsibility to warn others of the pitfalls that lay ahead of them should this not be resolved.

Original poster wanted to know the alternatives to X3, not the transmission problems that you and some few others have. Also, there are still a couple of open postings in this forum where you can complain and share your transmission problems and how they***8217;ve been handled and fixed etc.

I just realized that most of transmission issues on 07/08 X3s have been mostly resolved with recent software updates, and also most of those who own an 08 X3 including me have reported that there is no transmission issues at all. So I would think that you are one of those few others who still have that transmission problem.

I feel your pain as we all know here, and I***8217;m so sorry to hear that you and others still have some transmission issues and not been successfully resolved yet.

However, it doesn***8217;t really make sense to me seeing your numerous replies in this forum, mostly complaining and convincing others not to buy it based on your experience, where not supposed to be. Again, the OP wanted to know the alternatives to X3, not the transmission problems that you and some few others have.

Yes, you can warn others if they are considering used 07/08 or new 08 but chances of getting faulty transmission on new 08 are fairly low. Just don***8217;t overextend it too much.

Hope your transmission gets fixed soon.

viii_ball
01-07-2008, 07:47 AM
Someone asked why don't we get rid of our problem X3's with the AT issue? Because I would assume most of us financed the car and we are currently upside down hence it would cost us a bundle to get rid of a problem that should be corrected by the manufacturer.

I am mostly convinced that this is a DTC issue now. First thing I do when I get in to drive my wife's X3 is turn off the DTC and unless its really cold we do not experience that same accelerator lag or "jerky" downshifting.

X3 is going into the shop again on Thursday for a radio replacement and I am going to ask them to look at this issue again.

Evlengr
01-07-2008, 09:40 AM
Original poster wanted to know the alternatives to X3, not the transmission problems that you and some few others have. Also, there are still a couple of open postings in this forum where you can complain and share your transmission problems and how they've been handled and fixed etc.

I just realized that most of transmission issues on 07/08 X3s have been mostly resolved with recent software updates, and also most of those who own an 08 X3 including me have reported that there is no transmission issues at all. So I would think that you are one of those few others who still have that transmission problem.

I feel your pain as we all know here, and I'm so sorry to hear that you and others still have some transmission issues and not been successfully resolved yet.

However, it doesn't really make sense to me seeing your numerous replies in this forum, mostly complaining and convincing others not to buy it based on your experience, where not supposed to be. Again, the OP wanted to know the alternatives to X3, not the transmission problems that you and some few others have.

Yes, you can warn others if they are considering used 07/08 or new 08 but chances of getting faulty transmission on new 08 are fairly low. Just don't overextend it too much.

Hope your transmission gets fixed soon.

Thanks not trying to hi jack a thread, but as you can see with reference to the RAV4 (and now oil change issue thread) some things take on a life of there own.

I don't think the issues have really been resolved they have just been minimized and people are tired of fighting the nebulous bureacracy of BMW.

And yes I dont feel like being upside down on my car since I too financed it and have dropped another 3k in custom audio into it.

To stay on the thread I will be test driving a RAV4 with sport suspension this week as well as an E35 when possible.

And thanks I am waiting on a call this week from CS BMW.

Andrew*Debbie
01-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Tarry just posted the January Lease rates in Ask a dealer.

The 328xi wagon now has a better rate than the X3. The wagon rates are unchanged, but the residuals are way down on the X3. The X3 has been selling well and the wagon hasn't, so I'm not too surprised that BMW has stopped subsidizing the X3.

2008 BMW X3 3.0si 4WD SUV
24 Month ***8211; Residual 68% of MSRP ***8211; .00270 Base Rate (residual is down from 75%)
36 Month ***8211; Residual 58% of MSRP ***8211; .00270 Base Rate (residual is down from 65%)

2008 BMW 328xi Wagon
24 Month ***8211; Residual 70% of MSRP ***8211; .00270 Base Rate
36 Month ***8211; Residual 60% of MSRP ***8211; .00270 Base Rate

This makes the Wagon a more attractive X3 alternative...

cintroncar
01-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Thank you everyone for taking time a write your suggestions. Because I really like the handling of BMWs, I think that by the time being my options will be to wait a couple of months to see what other 2008 X3 owners have to say about their SAV, specifically the transmission issue. The other option would be to buy a 2006 X3 and wait until the new generation of X3s come out and buy a 2011 X3. Any suggestion.......?

In another note, I will take a look at the Infiniti EX35 when it comes out...

Thanks,

HT417
01-07-2008, 12:54 PM
I'll also add that the new Audi A4 Allroad due out in 2009, in Germany at least, would definitely be on my short list if I was still shopping since Audi is moving their new Quattro platforms to RWD bias.

I also considered the Volvo XC70 and XC90 since my primary ride was a Volvo until I bought the X3. The handling and acceleration are two things that were negatives for me - especially with the XC90. The XC60 might be something to look at when it arrives in 2009.

bmwadam
01-07-2008, 01:34 PM
I would recommend buying an 04-06 X3, find a really good deal on one, and wait until the new X3 in 2011, ALSO due to our deepening fuel crisis (5/gallon is no longer absurd) I expect we will see many more fuel efficient and performance oriented cars crop up into this segment within the next 5 years. The new X3 active hybrid look interesting, as well as the prospect of a really fuel efficient and clean diesel. But again you will have to wait a few years for these. The early X3's did not have the tranny issue, and I have an 04 with 32k now and it has shaped out to be a fantastic car, and one heck of a buy. I saved over 15k or so over a new one. Plus with my financing it makes the savings even more, 2.9 for 4 years! (Check with BMW FS, they may still have these great rates on 04 off lease cars)

STE92VE
01-07-2008, 08:59 PM
What are other possible alternatives for buyers who are thinking in buying a 2008 X3 and now have second thoughts.

Do what I'm doing...getting a 2009 MY X3. At that point, it will be the last year of the current design and all flaws & gremlins will be worked out.

x3eer
01-08-2008, 06:21 AM
Do what I'm doing...getting a 2009 MY X3. At that point, it will be the last year of the current design and all flaws & gremlins will be worked out.

I just wanted to point out that MY08 X3 is the last year model being built in Gratz and MY09 X3 will be the first year model built in NC. Even though BMW will do their best to maintain the build quality as they have produced in Gratz, it will be tough to match it for the first 1~2 years of production. If you already crossed out other alternatives from your shopping list, getting a 08 X3 would be a better way IMO.

STE92VE
01-08-2008, 06:30 AM
I just wanted to point out that MY08 X3 is the last year model being built in Gratz and MY09 X3 will be the first year model built in NC. Even though BMW will do their best to maintain the build quality as they have produced in Gratz, it will be tough to match it for the first 1~2 years of production. If you already crossed out other alternatives from your shopping list, getting a 08 X3 would be a better way IMO.

According to my research, MY2009 will be the last for Graz (also last MY for current design), since SC will begin production of the X6 in the Spring of 2008. The MY2010 X3 will be built in SC when the Z car production moves to Germany.

We all know that MY2010 X3 will be a redesign so it does not make any sense for BMW to start a production line and retool it 1 year later.

STE92VE
01-08-2008, 06:38 AM

The 328xi wagon now has a better rate than the X3. The wagon rates are unchanged, but the residuals are way down on the X3. The X3 has been selling well and the wagon hasn't, so I'm not too surprised that BMW has stopped subsidizing the X3.

24 Month – Residual 68% of MSRP – .00270 Base Rate (residual is down from 75%)
36 Month – Residual 58% of MSRP – .00270 Base Rate (residual is down from 65%)

2008 BMW 328xi Wagon
24 Month – Residual 70% of MSRP – .00270 Base Rate
36 Month – Residual 60% of MSRP – .00270 Base Rate

You're really comparing apples to oranges since they are 2 different vehicles. Similarly equipped vehicles, the E91 is priced below the E83, so it figures the lease rate would be less as well. As to the X3 selling well, I know this report doesn't separate out the E91, but look at these figures:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=120615&d=1199465196

Andrew*Debbie
01-08-2008, 07:40 AM
You're really comparing apples to oranges since they are 2 different vehicles. Similarly equipped vehicles, the E91 is priced below the E83, so it figures the lease rate would be less as well.

They are different. However the wagon used to be more expensive to lease than an X3.

Last month the 24 month residual on an X3 was 75%. There was also a .00065 OLP money factor discount on the X3. Never been an OLP for the 3er wagon.

Our X3 lease is much less than what a 328xi wagon would have run. If the wagon had come out to $360/month as well we would have given it a much closer look.

As of September 2007 BMW NA sold 1,317 328xi Wagons and 1,107 328i wagons in the US.
Same period BMW NA sold 21,685 X3 3.0si. That is about 9 times as many X3s as e91s. (I didn't include the 565 X3 3.0i leftovers)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234329
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234334

STE92VE
01-08-2008, 07:56 AM
You edited your post but I would like to add something to this statement that you may find interesting.
"In part BMW FS subvents leases as needed to keep sales volume matched to production."

When I did PCD on my E92, we toured the SC BMW plant. Every vehicle that comes off the assembly line is a sold vehicle. BMW does not build cars on speculation. If they want to increase production by offering incentives, that's another story.

Motown328
01-08-2008, 08:16 AM
Hoping for very aggressive rates on the 3er wagon in the near future. 2500 wagons a year in the U.S. isn't even trying...zzzzz...

AzNMpower32
01-08-2008, 08:44 AM
BMW runs 7 year cycles for each model. The next X3 starts in late 2010 as a MY 2011 model. Do the math; 2004 was the first year. 4 + 7 = 11.

x3eer
01-08-2008, 07:56 PM
According to my research, MY2009 will be the last for Graz (also last MY for current design), since SC will begin production of the X6 in the Spring of 2008. The MY2010 X3 will be built in SC when the Z car production moves to Germany.

We all know that MY2010 X3 will be a redesign so it does not make any sense for BMW to start a production line and retool it 1 year later.

When I did ED last Nov, delivery rep told me that the 08 would be the last model year built in Gratz. Well.. I did my research too, and just figured out that MY2010 would be the last MY for current design and X3 production contract between BMW and Gratz plant will expire at the same time. Completley new designed MY2011 X3 will be built in SC.

x3eer
01-08-2008, 07:57 PM
You edited your post but I would like to add something to this statement that you may find interesting.
"In part BMW FS subvents leases as needed to keep sales volume matched to production."

When I did PCD on my E92, we toured the SC BMW plant. Every vehicle that comes off the assembly line is a sold vehicle. BMW does not build cars on speculation. If they want to increase production by offering incentives, that's another story.

Yes, some are sold to customers and some are sold to the dealers.

AzNMpower32
01-08-2008, 09:23 PM
To potential doubters reading this: Go ahead and get a late build X3. (That is, if you don't want a pre-owned '06)

I'm serious. The X3 has matured into a great vehicle, and I was impressed at how sprightly and how quick the new powertrain is. The later models do not seem to have serious problems with the gearbox as I had feared before my drive of a 11/07 build X3. Just check the build date, take a thorough test drive, and you should be fine.

I really didn't want to hand back the keys to the loaner this evening. It was that much better than the 325i (which is so dull).

Evlengr
01-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Well than maybe I should just ask for an 08 to replace my 07 Lemon. Azn the current problem does not rear its head above freezing.

I thought mine was cured until we hit our first cold spell.

Then it went right back to its old behavior.

I suspect it was above 50 as you drove it recently?

bobotski
01-08-2008, 10:36 PM
isnt it possible that not all X3s are bad?

HT417
01-09-2008, 01:24 AM
Well than maybe I should just ask for an 08 to replace my 07 Lemon. Azn the current problem does not rear its head above freezing.

I thought mine was cured until we hit our first cold spell.

Then it went right back to its old behavior.

I think you owe it to yourself to test drive a 2008 if you haven't done so already. The test drives I took in a 2008 were in an early build vehicle with ~40 miles on it and the temps weren't much above freezing. I didn't drive it hard but I noticed no issues similar to what you and others are enduring.

If you can trade up to a '08 you can also benefit from the upgrades to the Prem Pack and the new Sport Activity Pack.

Evlengr
01-09-2008, 06:12 AM
Fair enough.... I am going to test drive the RAV4 that everyone talks about. Quite frankly, I never gave it a second thought until I saw the posts on this website.

I'll post my comparison next week.

BTW if you don't need a SAV but still want a entry level BMW, buy the 328i. It shifts smoother and has the same sound system.

Evlengr
01-09-2008, 06:28 AM
isnt it possible that not all X3s are bad? Yes it is Bobotski, and I hope you are right. If you are that means they can fix mine using a good one as a base line (as I have requested many, many ,many times).

And if they will let me trade up to a trouble free 08, I'm game as well. I keep kicking myself for not getting the uber headlights.

pilotman
01-09-2008, 07:06 AM

2008 BMW 328xi Wagon

Both of them suck, compared to the sedan.

Those rates are TERRIBLE. I leased a 2006 X3 at a MF of .00125, with a 64% residual over 39 months...for a monthly payment of $373 per month, zero down, pretty much loaded, 7 MSDs and #1,250 over ED invoice.

Sorry to derail the thread, just frustrated with those lousy numbers.

Alternatives to X3:

Toyota RAV4

Honda CRV

Nissan Rogue

Infiniti EX35 (available now, my local dealer has one on the floor)

Lexus RX

Porsche Cayenne.

It is really shocking to me that you can get a stripped out Cayenne for the same or less money than an X3. Granted, you don't get the options, and you don't get maintenance, but who cares on a 2-3 year lease, if you can avoid a brake job (which you probably will), then its a fine car.

My wife's X3 is a nice car, but it handles like a$$ compared to the sedans...I guess you could call it the "best handling SUV", not including the porsche, but the permanent Xdrive is a major drag on fuel economy, and really defeats any feeling of RWD that BMW is known for, the X3 handling is just nothing special, and its a narrow, short vehicle.

However, i am shocked to admit that we have had only one problem with ours, a defective bluetooth module, and the vehicle has been otherwise perfect (3.0 liter gas motor with step)

bmwadam
01-09-2008, 07:35 AM
Fair enough.... I am going to test drive the RAV4 that everyone talks about. Quite frankly, I never gave it a second thought until I saw the posts on this website.

I'll post my comparison next week.

BTW if you don't need a SAV but still want a entry level BMW, buy the 328i. It shifts smoother and has the same sound system.

I agree. An entry level 328i with a 6spd and sport package is probably one of the best overall cars on the road. I have heard it said, and I agree, that if you could only drive 1 car, this would probably be the one to own. What makes it such a great car (only drawback may be styling for some, but honestly it has grown on me) is its near perfect balance in every respect and the fact that it is just a joy to live with. Its not the fastest out there by any means, but it more than makes up for this in drive ability, and practicality and superb handling. Not to mention its pretty good on fuel.

If you MUST have an SAV type car, then I understand. The X3 is great, but it may not be right for you. A RAV4 may work just as well. BUT if you want a taste of a BMW, or this is your first BMW purchase, then I recommend trying out the 328i. This is the only model that I would actually buy new. It holds its value, rock solid. This car has been the benchmark for over 2 decades. Read motortrends write up on it. And I expect it to last a very long time. (Of course the 335i is a blast, but I find it more of a monster honestly. The 328i in the long run will kill it in reliability and longevity of service. Again what wins the day for the 328i is balance. IT does every thing well, not necessarily one thing better than the rest. THIS is the key formula for the successfull commuter or daily driver car. And this is why the 3 series has been on top for so long.

Lance Alot
01-09-2008, 07:57 AM

I can't speak for AZN, but for the two days that I drove mine - it was cold. In fact, the temperature didn't get above freezing for either of the two days, and the transmission was solid. I really think that BMW might have gotten this transmission issue fixed in the '08. Mine is also an 11/07 build.

Eric in SD
01-09-2008, 09:47 AM

2008 BMW 328xi Wagon

Andrew, yesterday Tarry corrected himself. If you read down in the 1/08 lease rates post you will see that the lease rates and residuals for the X3 are unchanged from December. For some reason he has not updated the first post in that thread to reflect the correct rates.

AzN and Lance Alot: thanks for the reviews of the '08 X3. I already have mine on order but it is nice to hear your reports to reaffirm my decision to replace the '05 X3 with the new model. Lot's of nice upgrades to look forward to, not the least of which is that awesome N52 power plant. I think the "Austrian built" '08 X3 will age well and be a desirable vehicle for many years to come.

Evlengr: you are a troll in my book because you will not let one positive post on the X3 stand without commenting about your transmission problems. Everybody on this board knows about your beef, you don't need to jump into every thread and remind us. Give it a rest....

Andrew*Debbie
01-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Andrew, yesterday Tarry corrected himself. If you read down in the 1/08 lease rates post you will see that the lease rates and residuals for the X3 are unchanged from December. For some reason he has not updated the first post in that thread to reflect the correct rates.

That makes all the difference. I noted the huge change in resdiuals early in the thread but should have asked Tarry to confirm it.

Repost of the correct rates:

24 Month ***8211; Residual 75% of MSRP ***8211; .00270 Base Rate
36 Month ***8211; Residual 65% of MSRP ***8211; .00270 Base Rate
48 Month ***8211; Residual 37% of MSRP ***8211; .00295 Base Rate
60 Month ***8211; Residual 31% of MSRP ***8211; .00295 Base Rate

Unfortunately I can't go back and edit all my earlier posts. Another example of how misinformation spreads on the internet. Ugh.