PDA

View Full Version : Coolant question

swede76
01-07-2008, 12:04 PM
I have an '01 X5 4.4i and I keep having to fill it up with coolant. I would say I fill about 1 liter every 4 weeks. It is not leaking anywhere underneath the engine. So my question is, does anyone know what could be the problem? I had it in about a year ago to have all the gaskets and hoses replaced in the engine. I am just baffled how the coolant just evaporates or what is happening with it.
Thanks.

Big "J"
01-07-2008, 02:27 PM
First... make sure you don't have any in your oil... very bad!

Next I would confirm that your reservoir is not cracked and leaking.

HPIA4v2
01-11-2008, 11:47 AM
I have an '01 X5 4.4i and I keep having to fill it up with coolant. I would say I fill about 1 liter every 4 weeks. It is not leaking anywhere underneath the engine. So my question is, does anyone know what could be the problem? I had it in about a year ago to have all the gaskets and hoses replaced in the engine. I am just baffled how the coolant just evaporates or what is happening with it.
Thanks.
Sounds similar to what I have on my 02 4.4i.
I'll go under the car, remove the under body cover and look behind the engine for any leak.
My guess would be valley pan seal, very time consuming fix. I've seen it on somebody's post on 740i and at this point I am not sure if I want to do it myself or pay the indy shop. looking at $1000.

Good luck.

ealzar
01-15-2008, 11:49 AM
hey, i was wondering if you have this one resolved? I think i may have the same problem. Thanks!

Thanks.

swede76
01-17-2008, 07:14 AM
I just had my oil changed and there was no coolant in there. Whew! Also, I had the coolant reservoir replaced when all the seals and hoses where replaced. I double checked it to make sure it didn't start leaking again and it hasn't. I have visually checked everything in the engine and cannot find a leak. I have not gotten under the car to check anything yet, but nothing is accumulating on the floor under the car. HPIA4v2, where is the Valley Pan Seal you are talking about?
Thanks.

HPIA4v2
01-17-2008, 07:37 AM
I just had my oil changed and there was no coolant in there. Whew! Also, I had the coolant reservoir replaced when all the seals and hoses where replaced. I double checked it to make sure it didn't start leaking again and it hasn't. I have visually checked everything in the engine and cannot find a leak. I have not gotten under the car to check anything yet, but nothing is accumulating on the floor under the car. HPIA4v2, where is the Valley Pan Seal you are talking about?
Thanks.
The pan is in between the V of V8 engine block hence the name "valley" pan.
Look here:
http://members.cox.net/rlacm/IntakeIndex.htm

BTW, when you have no coolant in the reservoir, did you get any warning light on the dash? Cause when my coolant goes to min I;ll get the chime and warning on the dash! Can't imagine if the reservoir is completely empty.

swede76
01-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Yes, I do get the dash warning and chime saying Coolant Low. That's when I check the reservoir and it is completely empty. I might have found a small leak, where the overflow hose attached to the radiator from the reservoir. It looks like a very small amount of coolant is leaking out there. It doesn't look like it would cause about 1 liter to leak per week though. I am going to replace that connector and see if does anything. Going to look into the Valley Pan Seal as well.

TexasBMW
01-23-2008, 09:34 AM
I had a small leak going into my reservoir and, under pressure, it can add up to large volumes. Remember, hot liquids evaporate rapidly.

Yes, I do get the dash warning and chime saying Coolant Low. That's when I check the reservoir and it is completely empty. I might have found a small leak, where the overflow hose attached to the radiator from the reservoir. It looks like a very small amount of coolant is leaking out there. It doesn't look like it would cause about 1 liter to leak per week though. I am going to replace that connector and see if does anything. Going to look into the Valley Pan Seal as well.

trinidvc
02-15-2008, 06:10 PM
I've recently noticed the same on my 01, with the vehicle running and the splash sheild removed, you may see a small leak on the front psgr side of radiator. I've checked in ALLDATA and it appears to be a leak at the heat exchanger and or seals of heat exchanger. I just found this leak today, after some weeks of tracking it down. Not sure if to fix it myself or send it to the dealer. I'm at 120k. Good luck!

trinidvc

Afsar
03-30-2008, 08:36 AM
I've recently noticed the same on my 01, with the vehicle running and the splash sheild removed, you may see a small leak on the front psgr side of radiator. I've checked in ALLDATA and it appears to be a leak at the heat exchanger and or seals of heat exchanger. I just found this leak today, after some weeks of tracking it down. Not sure if to fix it myself or send it to the dealer. I'm at 120k. Good luck!

trinidvc

Hi trinidvc,

Did you find cause of the leak? Even I found this leak on my 318i 2001 E46! :-(

-Afsar

Zulu95
03-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Could also leak at the water pump. Thats how i spotted my pump failing at 37K miles!