PDA

View Full Version : A couple of rants with my 2008 X3

HT417
01-07-2008, 01:17 PM
1. Is BMW recycling 2007 Owner's Manuals in our 2008s? There's no mention of the new features such as power folding mirrors, ambient lighting or puddle lighting.

2. Where's the allen wrench mentioned in the manual to manually close the panoramic sunroof in the event of an electrical failure? There's a slot molded into the styrofoam tray under the floor of the cargo compartment but it's empty. My colleagues 2004 has the tool stored there. Is BMW going cheap on a $1 or $2 tool?

3. Where's the Voice Command/Recognition manual that we're referred to from the Owner's Manual? Am I the only one missing it? I found a thread from 2005 where a forum member was missing his too. Someone replied with a PDF manual that was printed in 2000!!!

Can anybody shed any light on these?

Thanks.

AzNMpower32
01-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Funny thing, but I don't think any year's owners manual has power folding mirror controls. But the "quick reference guide" does. It's the button next to the slider control for adjusting the mirrors.

HT417
01-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks. Yeah, I was shown that during the test drives.

I thought, but I might be wrong, that it was a new addition to the Premium Package on the 2008s and I was using it as an example of how I didn't think BMW was making the appropriate effort to keep the manual up to date.

Maybe we need to give them some more money. :rofl:

HG132
01-07-2008, 02:40 PM
HT147

If you can find the the voice recognition/command manual I think you should join the hunt for Bin Laden. There was no such beast for the '07s either. I did find a doc online for BMWs that gave general info on how to work the system. I suggest you to do a Google seach like I did or go back to your c/a and tell him or her to assist you until you know hot to work the bluetooth properly.

...and except for "puddle lighting" all the features you mentioned are in the 2007 X3's. The manuals have always been poorly done.

Didn't you enjoy your $180 lesson? That's when you were supposed to soak up all of that BMW technical know how.

STE92VE
01-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Didn't you enjoy your $180 lesson? That's when you were supposed to soak up all of that BMW technical know how.

I always thought that the $180 training fee was earmarked for the BMW employees so that they would learn to put the roundels on right side up...:yikes:

HT417
01-08-2008, 03:30 AM
HG,

No idea what you mean by "$180 training fee". I did a military sales buy and delivery here in Germany, a "Permanent ED" if you will. After doing the turnover paperwork we get nothing more than a 10 or 15 minute run through of the controls and features( the salesman didn't know how to do the voice command either) before departing the delivery point. There's no mention of a training fee in the contract.

You got me on the interior lighting of the door handles, I missed it :ouch:. However, page 33 doesn't show or describe the button for the power folding mirrors nor is there anything in the index. I'm clearly being picky here, but for a highend, premium vehicle is this too much to expect?

My colleague with the 2004 confirmed this morning that he does have the sunroof allen wrench and an additional wrench that fills the empty slot near the screwdriver. I confirmed with my salesman that he hasn't yet received a response to the emails he sent on my behalf in regards to the wrench and the missing voice command manual.

In regards to the VC/VR manual, I searched the BMW site days ago and came up empty. I also Google'd a few days ago for "bmw voice recognition" and came up with this as the first result: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98804. :D. The number 7 post by "sray" provides a PDF manual that's dated Mar 2000. The phone commands in the PDF all seem to work fine but I haven't tried the notepad commands yet and I don't have nav. Seems like we X3 owners have been left behind since my colleague's 2006 325i has the commands in the main manual.

I'm aware there are various ways to resolve these issues but I was just wondering what others thought/had experienced.:thumbup:

I'll probably buy the allen wrench myself if I have too because Murphy's Law does exist and I don't want to have to be in a situation where I have to open the doors to let the water out.

"If you can find the the voice recognition/command manual I think you should join the hunt for Bin Laden."

Bin Laden's next.:thumbup:

HG132
01-08-2008, 12:13 PM
HT,

I paid the standard U.S. fee and received the same run thru you received. So be happy you did not pay for "your training" as well. As for the manuals they should lay out each option, as well as standard features. I think a the manual is a joke. They just package them up nicely.

When I leased my '04 X, half of my toolbox was missing. I figured the dealership stole from mine to outfit another car.

I'll try and remember where I saw that online vr/command doc. It wasn't very helpful but at least it was something.

HG132
01-08-2008, 12:20 PM
HT,

Check this site out.

It provides imformation you do not need; however, if you continue reading, you will see that there is information on the voice recognition system.

http://www.carnationsoftware.com/carnation/images/OwnersManualBluetooth.pdf

I hope this helps.

HG

HT417
01-08-2008, 01:56 PM
I think a the manual is a joke. They just package them up nicely.

I'll second that.

Yeah, thanks for the doc it was helpful - interesting to read how to continue a call when you step out of the vehicle.

The PDF I attached is the most useful doc I've found so far but I don't think we have the notepad function, at least it isn't working on mine. I can't search the Owner's Circle for docs, as someone was discussing in another thread, because I'm not allowed to create an account. It seems my VIN hasn't shown up in their database yet. Geez, I've had the VIN for more than a month.:dunno: Seems to validate Evlengr's assessment of their IM infrastructure.

Being new to BMW's I wasn't expecting to find what I've found so far but I'll get it sorted out and I don't plan on losing any sleep over it. I bought it for it's sport characteristics and as long as it delivers, I can work with the rest.

Thanks again for your help.:thumbup:

HG132
01-08-2008, 06:41 PM
What I am trying to remember is how to input extensions manually after calling into a phone system. I know it can be done...I just don't remember how. I can't even call my home voice mail system using the radio keypads. After using the bluetooth I have to pull out my cell phone and enter my home voice mail passcode by hand. :confused:

Did they show you how to do that during the run thru?

MPBX3
01-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Where exactly should the allen wrench be to close the top?

HT417
01-08-2008, 10:45 PM
HG,

No, during the walkthrough all I was essentially told was that the button allowed you to use voice commands and he said something about you having to hold it until it beeps. Until he told me that much I didn't even know the X3 had any type of Voice Commands because when I was researching/building on the BMW X3 site there was mention of VC at all including in the descriptions for BMW Assist and the Premium Package. In an hour I'll be at work and I'll ask to look at my colleague's manual and try to get an answer for you.

Where exactly should the allen wrench be to close the top?

MP - take a look at the attachment. It's not my picture nor my vehicle but it shows the correct position. AFAIK the storage compartment has never been changed.

HT417
01-09-2008, 03:15 AM
HG,

I looked at my colleague's 2006 325i manual and there was nothing referring to entering extensions. Sorry, I can't help you with that.

davidk
01-09-2008, 10:23 AM
MP, I just took redelivery of my 2008 X3 on Saturday, and there was no allen wrench in the space indicated. Is there any way to know if this is supposed to be included?

joev62
01-09-2008, 12:02 PM
I was wondering what was supposed to be in that slot. My X3 redelivered a few weeks ago had a blank spot too.

HT417
01-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Is there any way to know if this is supposed to be included?

My colleague's 2004 has it, the manual refers to using it to manually close the roof in case of electrical malfunction, and there's an empty slot to store it.

That's enough for me.:thumbup:

AzNMpower32
01-09-2008, 12:32 PM
I think they're starting to take away the wrench for the sunroofs. I read that somewhere on an informational bulletin on BMW TIS.

HG132
01-09-2008, 12:33 PM
HT,

I appreciate your efforts. My question seems to be the great mystery. I know it can be done. However, the 'fest members seem to be at a loss:dunno:...for now.

HT417
01-09-2008, 12:44 PM
I think they're starting to take away the wrench for the sunroofs. I read that somewhere on an informational bulletin on BMW TIS.

I wonder if they suspect owners have screwed up the mechanism by using it or maybe it doesn't work as simply as stated in the manual.

Since I'm getting a slow response from the sales side maybe I'll call the service department tomorrow.

HT417
01-09-2008, 12:50 PM
HT,

I appreciate your efforts. My question seems to be the great mystery. I know it can be done. However, the 'fest members seem to be at a loss:dunno:...for now.

It's hard for us newbies to catch up to you BMW oldtimers. :bow: Maybe I can be of more use in the future.:thumbup:

Motown328
01-09-2008, 06:49 PM
At least you got a manual. For my 325Ci, I had to go back to the dealer when I checked my delivery package and there was none to be found.

HT417
01-10-2008, 11:23 AM
At least you got a manual. For my 325Ci, I had to go back to the dealer when I checked my delivery package and there was none to be found.

To save money they're probably running a pyramid scene. They probably took your manual out to give to the last guy and hoped you wouldn't notice. But you just HAD to complain and bust their profit margin so then they were forced to steal yours from the next guy and then hope he wouldn't complain so they could get their profits back on track.:lmao:

When I think about what all the BMWisms that have happened to members on this forum and everything that's happened/happening to me, and I haven't even described the real problems yet, it almost makes me regret not getting up off the money and buying a Porsche.

viii_ball
01-10-2008, 12:25 PM
When I think about what all the BMWisms that have happened to members on this forum and everything that's happened/happening to me, and I haven't even described the real problems yet, it almost makes me regret not getting up off the money and buying a Porsche.

I am on my 3rd Porsche and must say I will be in one for life. I've had a 93 911, a 05 Boxster and my current daily driver is a 2000 911. They are fun to drive, very reliable and if you have to take it in for service, their service personnel are top notch. They understand that Porsche is a luxury car unlike the folks i have dealt with at BMW. Truly I felt better treated from a GMC purchase and from a Scion purchase. Based on this experience I am frankly surprised at the loyalty that seems to surround BMW.

HT417
01-11-2008, 03:23 AM
I am on my 3rd Porsche and must say I will be in one for life. I've had a 93 911, a 05 Boxster and my current daily driver is a 2000 911. They are fun to drive, very reliable and if you have to take it in for service, their service personnel are top notch. They understand that Porsche is a luxury car unlike the folks i have dealt with at BMW. Truly I felt better treated from a GMC purchase and from a Scion purchase. Based on this experience I am frankly surprised at the loyalty that seems to surround BMW.

Porsche was what I really wanted but the realities of the hills, narrow roads, and small parking spaces here combined with my 6'2" height convinced me the X3 was the best choice.

I can understand the BMW loyalty because they build good cars. They aren't however, in the Porsche league. And for what you pay for the Porsches you expect to be treated different.

If BMW can help me work out the bugs I think I'll be happy. Right now it just seems like my vehicle landed on the wrong side of the Bell curve.

seawolf36
01-11-2008, 07:39 AM
Consider yourself lucky. My manual was automatic.

seawolf36

PS: for those who don't get it, that attempts to be humerous....

HT417
01-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Consider yourself lucky. My manual was automatic.

seawolf36

PS: for those who don't get it, that attempts to be humerous....

That's just BMW looking out for you. They knew what you really wanted was an automatic you could shift manually.:rofl:

HG132
01-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Putting the manual issue aside, I think good customer service depends on the dealership. My purchasing dealer and my servicing dealer bend over backwards to treat me well and make sure I have everything I need.

In comparison my father, whose last purchase was a $100,000 MB product, never receives the same courtesies that I do. FYI, this is was his 5th MB in 7 years.

There's no great mystery to this issue.

HT417
01-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Customer service is important but competence rates right up there, too. Case in point, I've been trying in vain since I took delivery on 18 Dec to get my car programmed so that one key press opens the driver door, the second opens the remaining doors and that the trunk key will open it whenever I want. I've been told at two different dealerships that US spec models can't be programmed that way and as ridiculous as their explanations sounded, after the second one told me that I started to believe it. Then last night my salesman decided to check it out on a demo they receive from their Wurzberg dealership and it works perfect. So it can obviously be done and takes a competent tech to do it. What I gathered from the posts here was standard delivery procedure(programming customer preferences) seems to be confounding these guys to death and driving me nuts.

fluke52
01-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Well said, HT. I had to refer my salesman to the manual of the car he drives to prove to him that touch signaling (3 flashes after one dip of the turn signal lever) was available with an X3. When I called to request my X3 be programmed this way before delivery, he was in the break room with two other salesman. He didn't think it could be done, and "confirmed" with them. They all agreed it was not possible. It's like "Guys, I didn't pull this out of thin air. I read it in the manual."

Maybe I am not supposed to read the manual until I am at home with my hardcopy after delivery. They probably prefer no one knows about these features, so they don't have to deal with the requests. Then they can charge you later because you didn't request the programming upon delivery. It makes me uneasy about asking for other programmable options to be changed.

Is it too much to expect that the sales staff at a dealership of premium brand autos would at least skim the owner's manuals of the vehicles they sell? It's especially ridiculous that he was unfamiliar with features of the model he is currently leasing himself.

kjboyd
01-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Fluke: i had the same experience, mine even went so far as to tell me the manuals were interchangeable with the other cars and they just change the pictures to look like X3s and that the manual was wrong.

HG132
01-13-2008, 11:03 AM
HT & et al,

I agree about C/S and competence; however, it does not change my point of view. The best dealerships are the ones that deliver on both.

The one issue I have with BMW dealerships, in general, is they fail to give their customers a pre-delivery checklist upon ordering or purchasing. I would like to pre-determine my programmable options and/or settings. There are some settings many drivers are not aware of. I would like to take the time to decide what settings my BMW should have and give the dealership the time in pre-delivery to get it done correctly.

I know Lexus is a big proponent of this and I think BMW should make this part of the purchasing experience on both ends--sales and service.

HT417
01-19-2008, 10:39 AM
The one issue I have with BMW dealerships, in general, is they fail to give their customers a pre-delivery checklist upon ordering or purchasing. I would like to pre-determine my programmable options and/or settings. There are some settings many drivers are not aware of. I would like to take the time to decide what settings my BMW should have and give the dealership the time in pre-delivery to get it done correctly.

Exactly.

kj & fluke - now that I'm on a first name basis with the Service Advisor after my first 30 days, not something I planned BTW, we were getting into the rants I named in the first post. He was also surprised I had no voice command manual included. He was very helpful in trying to find me one in the dealership and quickly produced a 3 series owner's manual and went right to the commands. But since I have an X3 he'd have to order me one. So I guess the project manager for the X3 just doesn't give a $hit about thoroughness.

He also generally confirmed what AzN stated earlier about BMW removing the allen wrenches for the sunroofs. Apparently owners were causing too much damage by using them. :dunno: I believe there's a post either here or on x3world that talks about a reset procedure in case it's stuck open. I hope I can find it again and add it to the living document that's otherwise known as my manual.

Bottom line is I got my questions answered and I now know to take the manual with a grain of salt but I've gained a great deal of respect for the dealership I'll be visiting for service. They're living up to my expectations of BMW.

Thanks to all who replied. :beerchug:

HT417
01-27-2008, 01:35 AM
I've now spent some time at www.RealOEM.com (http://www.RealOEM.com) and my Service Advisor followed up with the part number for the sunroof emergency crank.

From www.RealOEM.com (http://www.RealOEM.com):

EMERGENCY TOOL ELECTR.SLIDING ROOF - 54137000497, $5.19. (This appears to apply to build dates up to 07/07 since the numbers changed as shown below). Here's the link, the crank is part number 8: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=PC93&mospid=49511&btnr=54_0326&hg=54&fg=05.

From my SA:

54137199324 (This is from a search he did based on my VIN and indicates it's valid from 07/07. There are also some other parts that changed at this time - parts 3 and 11.)

Since the crank is only $5.00 I'm going to add it to my toolkit in case I have a "Murphy" day. The weather can change quite a bit around here.

There's also a procedure for resetting the sunroof electrically but I haven't nailed down the exact method yet. Something to do with turning the key off then on and holding the sunroof button pressed up until it resets itself.

And in regards to the missing Voice Command manual, I found that it's not even listed as an orderable item on www.RealOEM.com (http://www.RealOEM.com). Should I take this to mean that BMW never gave us a manual that explains how to use the Voice Command system? :dunno: Take a look here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=PC93&mospid=49511&hg=01&fg=05.

BMW ownership is definitely an interactive experience. :roundel: