PDA

View Full Version : A few things I noticed about the X5

AF
04-08-2003, 07:34 AM
I have an X5 loaner and fortunately it snowed so I could test it out !!

It is defintely a rear wheel drive basis . . . I turned off the DSC and took it in a nice opemn area and the car was spinning around like it was a RWD car. The rear end was fishtailing all over the place, the DSC is a REALLY neccessary feature on this truck.

The couldn't find a good driving position when in traffic becasue I felt the pedals were too close tothe driver . . . I am sure if I owned the car I would find the right position

Also, really cool feature is the electric tilt for the rear seats . . . I never knew the X5 came with this.

The steering is is on the heavy side and no doubt is heavier then my 330i.

Aslo, for a 6, this car is very quick off the line . . .

AF
04-08-2003, 07:47 AM
One other thing, this is definitely the sports cars of SUV's, I let 3 other people take it for a drive and all 3 of them had a Sh*ta**
when they gave me the keys back . . . If I didn't need a 3rd row, this truck would be a huge consideration !!!

This thing is damn fun !!!

Emission
04-08-2003, 08:00 AM
I let Raffi drive my wife's X5 last night. It was his first time behind the wheel... and I think he was impressed as he threw it around the canyon road (with Vincent and myself holding on)! :D

The steering effort on the X5 is heavy - something many journalists have complained about.

Sean
04-08-2003, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by AF330i
I the DSC is a REALLY neccessary feature on this truck.

Alan,

Keep in mind it's not a truck. It's pretty much built on a E39 wagon chassis.

JPinTO
04-08-2003, 08:22 AM
This thing is damn fun !!!

If you think it's fun with the 3.0... you HAVE to try it with the 4.4L. That V8 moves the X5 with the authority you are used to in your 330. I'm waiting with keen anticipation for the 4.5L (ok, ok 4.4L Valvetronic)

Surprisingly fun truck.

JPinTO
04-08-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Sean
Alan,

So, all it needs is a massively adjustable air suspension (like the Touareg/Cayenne) to selectively lower it to E39 height and it's really the perfect vehicle! :D

AF
04-08-2003, 09:12 AM
I should have referred to it as SAV . . . isn't that what BMW likes to call it.

Yeah, the heavy steering is a little tough and I can see where a housewife might have a problem with it

JP . . .sounds like an X5 is in the future for you :thumbup:

Nick325xiT 5spd
04-08-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Sean
Alan,

According to Roundel, all that extra weight makes it much hard to control than an xi in VERY low traction situations. I'm not so sure that it's the RWD bias such as it is. (62% isn't all that much.)

SARAFIL
04-08-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Emission
The steering effort on the X5 is heavy - something many journalists have complained about.

The steering effort on the X5 is VERY heavy. I can't think of another recent BMW that I remember having heavier steering.

AF
04-08-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
According to Roundel, all that extra weight makes it much hard to control than an xi in VERY low traction situations. I'm not so sure that it's the RWD bias such as it is. (62% isn't all that much.)

I would say it is definitely RWD basis . . . this thing was fishtailing all over the place . . . calling it oversteer while driving with the DSC off in the snow would be an understatement.

I hit the accelerator hard while making a left and literally did a 180 when I was trying to do a 90 degree turn . . . I tried to get control but it wasn't happening . . .

I was just playing around and feeling out it's limits but WOO HOO was it fun.

JPinTO
04-08-2003, 09:52 AM
Yeah, the heavy steering is a little tough and I can see where a housewife might have a problem with it

That's why they have taebo & pilates for the ladies.

·clyde·
04-08-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by JPinTO
That's why they have taebo & pilates for the ladies.

My wife has been getting into pilates lately.