BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Big End Failure - Am I alone?

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  vics 
#1 ·
I have somehow caused a bigend failure while exercising my machine on a race track. Not racing, just lapping against myself. The engine is a right-off. A$64k was the price quoted for parts and labour. BMW have somewhat come to the party on an exchange short motor but still I could buy a new 1 series for the price of the repairs.

Circumstances were these:

It has never had anything other than TWS oil. It was full. The water temp was within sensible range, the oil temp was about 130 - no hotter than an E 60 I was playing with (and lapping faster than!). The motor has done 68000km and is stock except for a Powerchip. It was running on 98 Octane fuel. (that's a different number in Australia because we measure it differently but it's the same as the highest number available elsewhere)

What puzzles and annoys me most is that BMW have said "it's nothing you did - it's a mechanical failure". When I asked how then I should prevent it happening again, the answer was no more satisfactory than "I don't know".

M Cars are sold as sporting vehicles. In fact my first exposure to an E39 M was at a BMW Track day. I have done track days in any number of non-M cars and never missed a beat. When I suggested I deserved more help from BMW Australia they said "well you did it on a race track". This to me is a brand issue: Do they or do they not build M cars for sports use? Is this what I should expect from an M Car? "No, it's a mechanical failure and you're the only one that's ever happened in Australia".

Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences that might help me understand what's gone wrong and how I can restore my faith in the M Division as makers of the world's best motors?

Peter

See less See more
#3 ·
such as racing. Your mistake was telling them you were on a race track. While I commend your honesty, I would have said something like, "I was just driving along on the highwayand it just failed"
I guess you're right in one sense but I like to sleep at night AND my view is that the reason you buy and own an M is to do sporting things in it. That's how they sell and market them. I hadn't entered the LeMans 24 Hours - I was lapping a track in 20 minute sessions. I would have to have washed and detailed the car (and swapped the street wheels and tires that I didn't have with me) before the tow truck arrived....there were huge quantities of brake dust and track tires that showed exactly what they'd been doing - you can't get them that hot on the road!

#4 ·
Heh heh.....

Don't come cryin to this racer or any others that race on this board.
Been there ... done that.... oh around at LEAST 25 times.
Big end bearings. Split in three cams..(yes 3 places broken..),multiple trannies. smashed front ends. Smashed rear ends. Blown diffs. Connecting rods through the side of the block . The list literally goes on and on and on.
Enjoy the RUSH of RACING!
Isn't it AWESOME!!!?????
Especially when you are dolling out the doh for your new parts. What a rush.
I'm glad that i've gotten a bit older and am not tracking or rallying anymore.:):):angel:
P.S. Ya shouldn't have told them you were tracking the car. :eeps:

#6 ·
Don't come cryin to this racer or any others that race on this board.
Been there ... done that.... oh around at LEAST 25 times.
Big end bearings. Split in three cams..(yes 3 places broken..),multiple trannies. smashed front ends. Smashed rear ends. Blown diffs. Connecting rods through the side of the block . The list literally goes on and on and on.
Enjoy the RUSH of RACING!
Isn't it AWESOME!!!?????
Especially when you are dolling out the doh for your new parts. What a rush.
I'm glad that i've gotten a bit older and am not tracking or rallying anymore.:):):angel:
P.S. Ya shouldn't have told them you were tracking the car. :eeps:
I agree with all your 'love it, don't regret it' sentiments. I'll do it again as soon as I can. I don't think I'm crying. I'm just trying to understand how the statements from BMW go together and if this is a common problem.

BMW:
1. It isn't expected, it's nothing you've done.
2. We don't know what you can do to prevent it happening again.

Also, I wasn't racing in the strict sense of the word - I was just lapping for exercise...

#5 ·
TWO CORRECTIONS and a BTW:

1 Apologies all. I should have written write-off; not right-off ( I know the difference, I was just tired)

2. Apologies to BMWAu - I omitted the word 'almost' in saying I could almost buy a 1 Series.

BTW. BMWAu were never serious about the $64k - they knew it was ludicrous - I was just trying to illustrate the extent of the damage. They recommended an exchange motor that even at retail was much cheaper.

#7 ·
$64K?
Hell I can find you one for $40K :thumbup: (such a deal):lmao:

I have somehow caused a bigend failure while exercising my machine on a race track. Not racing, just lapping against myself. The engine is a right-off. A$64k was the price quoted for parts and labour. BMW have somewhat come to the party on an exchange short motor but still I could buy a new 1 series for the price of the repairs.

Circumstances were these:

It has never had anything other than TWS oil. It was full. The water temp was within sensible range, the oil temp was about 130 - no hotter than an E 60 I was playing with (and lapping faster than!). The motor has done 68000km and is stock except for a Powerchip. It was running on 98 Octane fuel. (that's a different number in Australia because we measure it differently but it's the same as the highest number available elsewhere)

What puzzles and annoys me most is that BMW have said "it's nothing you did - it's a mechanical failure". When I asked how then I should prevent it happening again, the answer was no more satisfactory than "I don't know".

M Cars are sold as sporting vehicles. In fact my first exposure to an E39 M was at a BMW Track day. I have done track days in any number of non-M cars and never missed a beat. When I suggested I deserved more help from BMW Australia they said "well you did it on a race track". This to me is a brand issue: Do they or do they not build M cars for sports use? Is this what I should expect from an M Car? "No, it's a mechanical failure and you're the only one that's ever happened in Australia".

Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences that might help me understand what's gone wrong and how I can restore my faith in the M Division as makers of the world's best motors?

Peter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.