PDA

View Full Version : X5 vs RX350 vs FX35

worldsmart02
01-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Test drove all 3 of them couple of weeks and noticed X5 kind of hesitated in shifting gears even in the sport mode(dealer said it might need a software update :)

350 was more responsive and suv didn't hesitated to pick up or shift gears , dealer was willing to give me a great deal on it compared to what I was getting with X5.

FX 35 was ok but felt kind of heavy but it had all the gadgets I was looking for .

Anyone has driven all 3 of them and want to post their opinions .

hunterz4
01-12-2008, 05:36 PM
Test drove all 3 of them couple of weeks and noticed X5 kind of hesitated in shifting gears even in the sport mode(dealer said it might need a software update :)

I have not driven all three but I did not like reading the X5 portion of your post. My trans. is working well so far.

worldsmart02
01-12-2008, 06:10 PM
well thats what the dealer said after I asked him , he wasn't going to volunteer that to me anyway.

tvenu
01-12-2008, 06:53 PM
FX is an infinity, i once had to get rid of the G35 because the trans had hesitation between gears, i went back to the BMWs a 540i specifically due to this, BMWs are better in handling and trans shifting, no opinions on lexus as i never drove them.

worldsmart02
01-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Anyone driven lexus here

WCH BMW
01-12-2008, 08:15 PM
Just went from a RX350 to a X5. IMO there's no comparison. The X5 drives much better and feels much more solid. The Lexus has a better rear view camera and I don't have the automatic liftgate in my X5 (though it can be had) but this is small stuff compared to the way the X5 drives. Drove a FX a while back - very stiff with a lot less utility.

grkmec
01-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Needed to add a 2nd car (for the wife) and it had to be an SUV, so I recently drove the X3, X5, RX350 and Cayenne S.

The Cayenne S was the hands down winner in terms of driving dynamics. I took this beast into a rotary going like 45mph and the Cayenne chewed it up. The PDCC / PASM is sick combination. If this was going to my primary car, I would have ponied up for the Cayenne Turbo and would have been in heaven. My wife also loved the Cayenne.

The X5 drives too much like a truck and is a little too big for my tastes. While I am sure I did not push it enough, the handling for some reason did not inspire confidence in me to really push it. I felt much more comfortable pushing the Cayenne as I perceived it having a lower center of gravity. My wife absolutely hated the X5 (too big), and I was not thrilled, so we crossed it off the list. I had big expectations going into the test drive, and was pretty disappointed.

The RX350 felt underpowered and the ride was way too cushy. However, the Lexus had the best creature comfort features and navigation interface by far. For all the reasons my wife liked the lexus, I hated it. No way in hell am I going to spend $40k+ to buy a dull boring car.

Despite my love affair with the Cayenne, we ended up getting a fully loaded X3 with Sport, Premium, Cold, Nav, Xenon, Privacy, Auto. It was definitely a compromise choice but we have no regrets. We got a sick lease deal for a car with a $49k sticker using OLP, MSDs ($499 / month plus $500 bmwcca rebate). A decked out Cayenne would have cost significantly more and since my wife is not a car freak, and I have a 335xi on order, I decided to exercise some financial restraint.

JG50
01-12-2008, 09:49 PM
The FX is old, its getting redesigned for 2009.....so unless you don't care about driving a very soon to be dated vehicle I would pass.

hunterz4
01-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Needed to add a 2nd car (for the wife) and it had to be an SUV, so I recently drove the X3, X5, RX350 and Cayenne S.

The Cayenne S was the hands down winner in terms of driving dynamics. I took this beast into a rotary going like 45mph and the Cayenne chewed it up. The PDCC / PASM is sick combination. If this was going to my primary car, I would have ponied up for the Cayenne Turbo and would have been in heaven. My wife also loved the Cayenne.

The X5 drives too much like a truck and is a little too big for my tastes. While I am sure I did not push it enough, the handling for some reason did not inspire confidence in me to really push it. I felt much more comfortable pushing the Cayenne as I perceived it having a lower center of gravity. My wife absolutely hated the X5 (too big), and I was not thrilled, so we crossed it off the list. I had big expectations going into the test drive, and was pretty disappointed.

The RX350 felt underpowered and the ride was way too cushy. However, the Lexus had the best creature comfort features and navigation interface by far. For all the reasons my wife liked the lexus, I hated it. No way in hell am I going to spend $40k+ to buy a dull boring car.

Despite my love affair with the Cayenne, we ended up getting a fully loaded X3 with Sport, Premium, Cold, Nav, Xenon, Privacy, Auto. It was definitely a compromise choice but we have no regrets. We got a sick lease deal for a car with a $49k sticker using OLP, MSDs ($499 / month plus $500 bmwcca rebate). A decked out Cayenne would have cost significantly more and since my wife is not a car freak, and I have a 335xi on order, I decided to exercise some financial restraint.

I agree with you about the handling and size of the X3. My wife loved the scale. Too bad I didn't get a good one. Even though I was surprised at the size of the X5 when I first test drove it I actually liked it. I was expecting the old X5. That said, I have taken it on mountain roads and in the snow and was confident the whole time. It seems unanamous amongst BMW owners that Lexus does not cut it. I only see women driving the RX350 which isn't a bad thing it just seems tailored to lux, smooth riding, Starbucks mom demographic, imo.

I dig the Cayenne Turbo but I couldn't justify the cost.

worldsmart02
01-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Yes i agree that driving lexus was driving a nice comfy sofa with lots of goodies in it.

XZLR8
01-13-2008, 10:02 PM
We owned an RX330 for close to two years. I would never own one again. I couldn't get past the ridiculously loose steering and the sloshy brakes, which seemed to get worse with each mile on the odo. While Lexus does have a couple superior gadgets (the X5's rearview camera is sad, as an example), it's not enough to make up for its obvious shortcomings.