PDA

View Full Version : Under the hood question.

bobbyjoe
01-13-2008, 12:09 AM
I'm about to do my own post run-in oil change and just wanted a quick confirmation (see attached image):

A = Oil Filter
B = ??? (can anyone tell me what this is?)
C = Where you pour in new oil.

BTW - this is a 2008 X3 3.0si. Unlike the E46, there isn't a 36mm nut sitting on top of the plastic housing... I think a Oil Filter Wrench from Flotools should work but haven't figured out the right size yet... probably a #2 (I tried Goldilocks style - #1 too big, #3 too small, but store is out of stock on #2 :bawling: hence the probably)

kjboyd
01-13-2008, 12:10 AM
A: yes
B: auto trans/trans fluid
C: yes.

haven't you read the manual?

bobbyjoe
01-13-2008, 12:19 AM
I went through the manual and all the extra booklets in one day... got a bit overloaded with info.

Apologies if it's right there in the manual. And thanks kjboyd.

AzNMpower32
01-13-2008, 08:13 AM
The BMW owners manuals are getting less and less useful in regards to DIY maintenance. It's about as useful as The Washington Post when it comes to maintaining the 325i. :rolleyes:

bmwadam
01-13-2008, 10:43 AM
WHOA!!! #2 is NOT for your auto tranny fluid!!! That is your power steering reservoir. The BMW rack steering system uses ATF, preferbly Dextron V in leau of regular power steering fluid... NOTE: NEVER use regular power steering fluid, for some reason BMW's rack system uses ATF, unlike other cars.

As for adding auto tranny fluid to this car, you need to be under the car, and have a pump of some sort. BMW says there are lifetime fluids in your tranny (I dont buy it) you should service it every 40k or so. This is not covered by the warranty.

As for BMW coming against the DIYer, if they continue this trend they are going to loose a lot of their enthusiast base. I know many people who have owned these cars for decades that have finally decided to leave them. Its really sad that they are doing this just to try and squeeze in a little extra revenue. Case in point: Your N52 does not have a dipstick. How do you know how much oil is there?? The dangers here become apparent after the car has over 100k and starts to burn oil. When do you add? How much do you add? Do you wait for the oil light to come on, when the oil is dangerously low already???

I am not going to buy a car without a dipstick for obvious reasons. I will keep buying the older bimmers, and when they become to old, if BMW still lacks a dipstick, I may go to a car that has one (although this would be hard, I really love bimmers). But BMW no longer has the monopoly on performance sedan type cars anymore, others have caught up and it is just a matter of time....

bobbyjoe
01-13-2008, 11:48 AM
bmwadam - just to clarify since there seems to be a mix up of letters vs. numbers:

The part labeled "B" according to you is the "power steering reservoir" as oppose to the "auto trans fluid" according to kjboyd.

Nothing to do with the #1 vs #2 Flotools "oil filter wrench" that I hope will open the oil filter case right?

kjboyd
01-13-2008, 03:00 PM
IM SORRY!!!!! that was what i meant! STEERING!! it was early and i was asleep!!!

AzNMpower32
01-13-2008, 06:04 PM
IM SORRY!!!!! that was what i meant! STEERING!! it was early and i was asleep!!!
It's okay, we all have those days.

bobbyjoe
01-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Houston...

This oil filter thing is becoming more of a problem than I imagined. Went to auto store to look for a Flotools #2 Oil Filter wrench - ends up being even smaller than #3. By observation, find that a #8 is inbetween #1 and #3, but when I tried it, still no good (too loose). Photo shows what one of these oil filter wrenches look like.

Question: What can I use to remove a 2008 X3 3.0si oil filter cover that will allow me to put the filter cap back on at the right torque? I've seen some wrenches which look like a handle with a thick rubberband that you could use to loosen it, but you won't be able to use a torque wrench to screw it back on at the right tightness.

Thanks.

bmwadam
01-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Im gonna chime in here.... you dont need to torque a cannister cap. Period. Just tighten it until it is good and snug, you dont need to muscle it on there. The seal will keep it from leaking, and if for some reason you didnt tighten it enough, you would know very quickly, it is easy to see if it is leaking.

I have been changing BMW cannister filters for years, and I have NEVER torqued them. I use the 36mm on my e46, 36,39, 83(M54B30) but most times I dont even need it to get them off, I do it by hand.

AzNMpower32
01-13-2008, 08:18 PM
How do you remove the oil filter cap in the first place? I've tried on the 325i but can't do so by hand (too tight).

bmwadam
01-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Find a good strap wrench that fits the cannister (any auto parts store, or try Bavarian Autosport), after this I doubt you will need to use it anymore as you should never tighten it too much that you couldnt take it off by hand.

bobbyjoe
01-13-2008, 10:37 PM
I saw the strap wrenches but I was hesitant because right on top of the cap there is a 25.5Nm (newton meters) written on there - Not 25, not 26 but 25.5Nm.

Maybe in addition to getting rid of the dip stick and the 36mm nut, this is just an other way to subtly encourage you to visit your dealer for everything.

Picture on the left I think is what bmwadam is roughly thinking of. I also saw the one on the right which if it works might still allow proper torquing, of course I'll need a torque wrench that has 0.5Nm increments to conform to BMW Specs :p.

bmwadam
01-14-2008, 07:09 AM
Well if you must torque it, good luck finding the part. Im sure there is a BMW specific part you could order, although the strap wrecnh on the left should work fine. Although like I said you don't need to torque that. I know BMW says they do but I have an old friend of mine who works at a dealer, and he never torques them when they come in....

Andrew*Debbie
01-14-2008, 08:26 AM
:google:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=83300493936

http://www.circlebmw.com/cgi-bin/tool/tool.cgi?engine=N52&group=&series=&view_records=Search

PN 83 30 0 493 936

Car tool 119 240 Get it from either of the links above or at the parts counter of your nearest BMW dealer.

I'd spend the 30 bucks and own the correct tool.

I bet BMW eliminated the 36mm nut to reduce breakage. I'm sure that is why the torque is on there too.

onodon
01-14-2008, 06:03 PM
I had mine in for service recently and I told the SA that I wanted to dump the break in oil. Although I have changed the oil on my 2004 and it is relatively easy, I decided that I would spend the extra bucks and just have it changed. The SA told me to save my money and skip it because BMW performs an engine break in and then dumps the oil before they ship the vehicle. I was rather surprised, can anyone verify if this is true?

Thanks,

AzNMpower32
01-14-2008, 07:51 PM
I had mine in for service recently and I told the SA that I wanted to dump the break in oil. Although I have changed the oil on my 2004 and it is relatively easy, I decided that I would spend the extra bucks and just have it changed. The SA told me to save my money and skip it because BMW performs an engine break in and then dumps the oil before they ship the vehicle. I was rather surprised, can anyone verify if this is true?
Um, no. BMW does run the engine before letting it leave the factory, but they certainly don't dump the oil. Oh my, that's a lot of engine oil for the thousands of 3s leaving factories everyday. :D