PDA

View Full Version : 2005 x3 3.0 6 speed, afe intake vs. dinan intake

danman3
01-13-2008, 03:24 PM
i was just wondering if anyone has put an intake on their x3 3.0 (6 speed if any) and how it worked. i am tring to decide between the dinan and the afe. afe says 20hp gain and dinan says 11 hp gain and the afe is $100 cheaper. just curious if anyone has any of the intakes or if any one has suggestions. thanks!

AzNMpower32
01-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Yes, someone did do the CAI mod. He had the same drivetrain/year as yours too.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176628

You can also search up his posts via the advanced search function. His screen name was White05X3.

He did mention that any CAI mod in the X3 is probably more for sound. The fuel economy and power increase are not very noticeable.

CoupeCrazy
01-17-2008, 07:15 PM
For the most part, intake systems only provide a gain of about 3-8 hp. These aftermarket tuners are making some big claims! Would love to see a dyno sheet to back them up (if they can provide one).

I'm sure it sounds pretty damn sweet on that inline 6 though...might be worth the admission price alone! Make sure to post up some sound clips if you do take the dive. :thumbup:

bmwadam
01-18-2008, 08:02 AM
From my exp. Dinan mod performance claims are always correct. All Dinan upgrades are thoroughly tested and if installed by a cert. Dinan installer, will not void your factory warranty (of course I dont think an air intake mod would void the warranty anyway, and even if it did you could always take it off before going in for something). That is not to say that the AFE will not live up to its claim, but like CoupeCrazy said, intake mods are usually not that extravagant as far as performance gains are concerned, SO I tend to doubt the AFE claims until I can see some proof.

Andrew*Debbie
01-18-2008, 10:04 AM
I don't care at all for what AFE has done. And I don't believe their HP numbers either.

Dinan is reputable and looks do have done a much better job BUT If you install it be careful driving through water. I'll have to go look where the the brake duct is, but you sure won't' be able to ford 20" of water anymore.

Over oiling a filter is a good way make a mess of everything downstream. I don't think the warranty will replace anything full of gummy filter oil....

HGX3.0
01-18-2008, 10:35 AM
I don't care at all for what AFE has done. And I don't believe their HP numbers either.

Dinan is reputable and looks do have done a much better job BUT If you install it be careful driving through water. I'll have to go look where the the brake duct is, but you sure won't' be able to ford 20" of water anymore.

Over oiling a filter is a good way make a mess of everything downstream. I don't think the warranty will replace anything full of gummy filter oil....

The Dinan airbox is not snorkled down like the old versions (so driving through water isn't an issue). It is in the same location as the original airbox, except it iis shaped to allow more airflow dynamics. It is pricey but is warranted and installed by BMW dealers. Like it's posted - the gains aren't substantial and they encourage you to do the software stage upgrade when adding the airbox = $$$$

BM2W
01-20-2008, 05:41 PM
I did the DInan CAI, Stage II software, & cat-back exhaust on my '04 3.0 X3 MT. According to Dinan, that's good for 13 HP & 11ft/lbs. I'm in Santa Fe @ 7000', so I'm already paying the "altitude discount" on engine power, but the Dinan set-up did provide a small but noticeable improvement in power and response, especially from 4000 rpm to redline.

The intake is not noticeably louder, though the exhaust has a nice throaty burble around town, but is transparent a cruising speeds (no drone or boom), gas mileage is up 1-2 mpg aropund town in casual driving, but it can get thursty if you're on it a lot. HTH