PDA

View Full Version : X3 vs. X5

knotsfan
01-15-2008, 08:53 AM
Good morning. Can anyone tell me what the real down & dirty difference is between the X3 & X5 models? Not including add ons. I'm torn between the two & don't know if extra $$ is justified. Don't care much about horsepower, too many speeding tickets already.:)

bmwadam
01-15-2008, 09:32 AM
I feel that the X5 has better build quality. The older gen X5 was built off of the e39 chassis (5-series) whereas the X3 is built off the old 3-series (e46) chassis. I think the new X5 is a standalone platform (someone correct me if I am wrong).

When you compare e39's to e46's, the e39's always seem to have much better build quality, when you look at the interiors, trimwork etc. The same holds true when you compare an X5 to an X3. I honestly prefer the X5 over the X3. But I love the X3, this is just a question of taste really. But I do feel that even a CPO X5, 2002 or later, in perfect condition, feels much more solid and refined than even a new X3.

AzNMpower32
01-15-2008, 10:55 AM
The real question is how much room you actually need. To be honest, the current X5's build quality isn't as solid as the previous generation. Yes, the new one has nice glossy wood and leather, but that doesn't mean build quality or materials have improved.

The X3 drives more nimbly and with the 260hp motor, packs some serious punch. The X5 weighs 700 lbs more, and uses the same motor in 3.0si form.

The X5 is very large and does offer more optional toys like iDrive/sat nav and dual zone climate control. You'll need to determine how far your budget goes and how much space you need.

Andrew*Debbie
01-15-2008, 10:57 AM
There are two different X5s. The old e53 X5 is bigger and heavier than the X3, but doesn't have more usable room. I'd take an X3 over an e53 X5 anyday.

The current e70 X5 was an all new car in 2007. It is bigger than the old X5, but has a lot more usable room inside. The e70 is a much newer design then the current X3 and has all the latest gadgets and luxury features. As a more expensive model, it also has a higher level of luxury.

I'd only get an e70 X5, if you really absolutely must have the extra room.

While the X3 is on a dated platform, it does have the latest N52 engine. The age of the X3 platform really only shows in the NAV. Everything else is fine.

Havelcek
01-15-2008, 11:20 AM
We test drove an X5 while shopping for the X3 and we felt that the additional size and "luxury" interior accoutrements did not justify the price point.

bmwadam
01-15-2008, 11:25 AM
But the e53 is more comfortable, and is a better buy than an e83 X3. But then again my wife wanted an 04 X3 M54B30 over an 04 X5 M54B30. I'm more of a 5er and 3er guy myself anyway. But I do think that 45k out the door for the X3 is overpriced The N52 motor is not so much of an improvement to buy a dated chasis for 45k, when there are decent CPO X3's out there for less than 25k. At least not for me, but everyone has their own preference and I respect that. An e53 with the M62 is a blast to drive, but the M54B30 works just as well. It really isnt that much heaver than the X3 either, the X3 is no lightweight.

That said if you are comparing a new X3, with a new X5, it is prob. better to spend the extra cash (if you can) on the e70. PLUS The X5 has just gone through a redesign, the X3 is due for a new chassis in a couple of years. When this occurs, the e83 will drop in value, If this matters to you, the X5 should prob. hold its value, (after taking the initial hit) better. But then this is just speculation.

Andrew*Debbie
01-15-2008, 11:59 AM
But I do think that 45k out the door for the X3 is overpriced.

Me too. We paid about $36,500 + sales tax for our 2007 X3. That includes all dealer and DMV fees. In Georgia, you pay sales tax on each lease payment, not the total price of the car.

Our lease payments are around $365 / month including sales tax.

We didn't shop for an X5, so I don't know how big a discount you can get. I doubt you can do better than maybe $43,000 + tax. Several things that are standard on the X3 are options on the X5. Add them in and the price delta goes up another $2,000 or so. The lease residuals on the X5 are much lower than the X3 too. That would make an X5 a much more expensive lease. In fact the residuals are so low, I don't see much point in leasing an X5.

The cargo floor on the X5 is quite a bit higher than the X3. Could be in an issue if you have an older dog, like we do.

iamthewalrus
01-15-2008, 01:19 PM
You'll see from the other thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255782 that I strongly prefer a manual transmission. The current gen X5 only offers an automatic in America, so the choice is really easy. X3+Manual.

UncleJ
01-15-2008, 02:40 PM
And the new X5 comes with "I Drive" standard which, for me, removes it from consideration.

AzNMpower32
01-15-2008, 05:06 PM
You'll see from the other thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255782 that I strongly prefer a manual transmission. The current gen X5 only offers an automatic in America, so the choice is really easy. X3+Manual.
X5 is only in the automatic worldwide. Too bad :(

iamthewalrus
01-15-2008, 05:26 PM
X5 is only in the automatic worldwide. Too bad :(

I checked the BMWUSA site and assumed we were the only ones who had to deal with auto-only X5s. Really, that's disappointing. Part of the reason I went with BMW to begin with instead of another Audi was that I wanted a manual. If BMW stops offering manuals, where will we all go?

Andrew*Debbie
01-15-2008, 06:14 PM
If BMW stops offering manuals, where will we all go?

That won't happen any time soon. However they are slowly disappearing from the big cars.

I was looking at older BMWs on eBay, and found a 735i with a manual. Now that's something you don't see too often.

hunterz4
01-15-2008, 11:58 PM
Good morning. Can anyone tell me what the real down & dirty difference is between the X3 & X5 models? Not including add ons. I'm torn between the two & don't know if extra $$ is justified. Don't care much about horsepower, too many speeding tickets already.:)

Down and dirty: Primarily size since X5 is much longer and wider - third row seat option (for kids only), redisigned "newer" model as mentioned above. price is a factor of course. Sort of apples and oranges comparison because one is a compact SAV and the other full size.

BTW - Idrive is a plus for me. Not a bad way to manage information.
Re: BMW and manuals- I got a stick in my 530i and to me it really makes the car.

bmwadam
01-17-2008, 08:54 AM
That won't happen any time soon. However they are slowly disappearing from the big cars.

I was looking at older BMWs on eBay, and found a 735i with a manual. Now that's something you don't see too often.

I have a friend that is in the process of converting a e38 740i sport over to a 6spd. There are also many indy's out there that will convert anything over for you. The point is that there is and will always be high demand for a manual. People pay big bucks to convert their bimmers over. If BMW stops doing it, aftermarket types will find ways to keep them alive.

UncleJ
01-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Walrus, the V6 Cayenne comes standard with a 6 speed stick.