PDA

View Full Version : Active Steering

Burtman
01-17-2008, 05:32 AM
Is Active Steering worth the $1400 and is it really needed to enjoy the x5. My x3 does not have this option but does have the Servotonic power steering at a cost of $250. Also will the
x5 be as reliable as my 07 x3. Thanks for any import.

AzNMpower32
01-17-2008, 10:29 AM
I have driven the Active Steering on the X5 and do not recommend it. It makes the steering far too light. (It's not the case on the 3er though). At BMW's Ultimate Driving Experience, all the X5s had it and that was the first annoying thing I noticed because such a heavy car should not have a steering system that's lighter than any BMW I've ever driven.

denaliman
01-17-2008, 12:20 PM
I disagree. It's really personal preference. I love mine. I don't find it light at all and I don't like to wrestle with the steering wheel. IMO it takes nothing away from the "BMW feel".

NetSpySD
01-17-2008, 12:22 PM
My take X5 with A/S is nice.

X5 without it drives like my Tahoe did. Very loose. I hate turning the wheel 3-4 times around to go around the corner but that is me.

Awdnut
01-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Before buying my 07 X5 I tried both X5, one with active and one without back to back. I tried one first w/o and then one with. I really like the active steering especially at low speed in tight corner and 90 deg turn. It makes the big X5 feels very nimble/small. Coming out of the dealer lot which was packed and pretty tight, the one with active steering was so much nicer and less work. I did not notice at all that the steering was too light. At higher speed I did not feel it that much most probably because I was driving in the freeway and cannot really try to swerve left and right to really feel it.

I ended up taking delivery of a loaded 07 X5 without one since there was no inventory of one with active steering with the color/option combination that I want at that time. If there was one, I would have been more than happy to pay for the extra cost.

Best one is always to try them both and then you can decide whether it is worth it or not

HTH

e92335iGB
01-17-2008, 01:45 PM
I have active steering in my 335i coupe and am sold on the feature. We have an X5 4.8 on order. It will have active steering for sure.

Burtman
01-23-2008, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the responds. I can not find any bmw car or sav on any lot so I can try one with the active steering !

NetSpySD
01-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the responds. I can not find any bmw car or sav on any lot so I can try one with the active steering !

Tell the dealer you want to test drive and 04/05 545/645 with sport pack. The sport pak came standard with A/S. Granted not an X5 but you will be able to tell the difference with A/S across a 5/6 series.

Scany1980
03-11-2008, 08:02 AM
Would you guys say the road feel in the steering wheel is the same with or without A/S? Of course it will be hard to tell I guess since the ratio is so different. But trying a 535d with A/S I was disappointed with the road feel. Turning the wheel is a pleasure (due to the variable ratio) but the steering wheel felt a little disconnected, and Im not sure if that was because of the A/S.

NetSpySD
03-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Would you guys say the road feel in the steering wheel is the same with or without A/S? Of course it will be hard to tell I guess since the ratio is so different. But trying a 535d with A/S I was disappointed with the road feel. Turning the wheel is a pleasure (due to the variable ratio) but the steering wheel felt a little disconnected, and Im not sure if that was because of the A/S.

A/S has nothing to do with road feel from what I can tell.

What I like about it is the rubber band feeling of non-A/S cars is gone. Plus I don't have to turn the wheel 360 to go around a corner.

I quickly got used to it. Now when I have a loaner without it, I appreciate what it does.

I personally believe A/S improves overall handling and is much more precise. Especially at high speeds.

If you think about it, the brakes are dymanic, the suspension DSC/DTC is dymanic, the roll stabilization is dynamic, transmission is adaptive, headlights are adaptive, why not the steering? :dunno:

cross5x
03-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Why did man invent Pulleys? So they do not have to carry some 100 pounds 20 flight of stairs.

A/S, imo, is a must. Unless you want to 'fight and trash' with the steering wheel for the vehicle to makle a turn...