PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

Rennsurfer
01-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Silly question time regarding an '82 320i 5spd. w/140,000 miles...

Is the sunroof crank knob available by itself, or only attached to the crank handle?

Can't get the reverse lights to go on. Checked fuse and bulbs. Does the switch in the transmission often go south on these?

My car is mostly original and unrestored, 'cept for a few small itmes. I'd like to see what the original exhaust looked like. Done many 'Net searches but have found nothing. Does anyone have a pic of what a factory muffler/tip looks like? I've already purchased the push-on tip at my local dealer.

Thanks in advance.

alpinewhite325i
01-17-2008, 06:20 PM
try www.realoem.com

Rennsurfer
01-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Thank you for that website. It'll prove to quite helpful in the future. Most other E21 cars that I've seen don't have a working electric mirror(s) adjustment switch. I'm guessing that's a common thing, yes? The switch seems to be around $40ish for a new one. If that's all that wrong with mine, I'll gladly purchase one.

I'm also interested in installing H-4/H-1 headlights. If anyone's willing to sell their used ones, please post up. Thanks in advance.

ebloom
01-18-2008, 02:34 AM
Before you replace the mirror switch, check the wires between the door and pillar. On my 83 they were wrapped with some kind of tape which eventually rubbed off, then the wires broke. More common on the driver's side as the that door is opened more often. But you could have the same problem on the passenger side.

/Eric

Rennsurfer
01-18-2008, 06:24 AM
Ah... that sounds rather logical. Thanks for the tip, Eric. I'll hopefully get to that this weekend. You're correct; neither mirror works from the switch.

Rennsurfer
01-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Got a new exhaust tip from my local dealer today. Took it a few doors down to a muffler shop so they could remove the unsightly old straight (installed by previous owner) oversized pipe exiting from the muffler outlet. Welded on smaller diameter pipe and added some bends so it's not sticking out past the rear bumper, anymore.

http://photos.performanceix.com/viewPhoto2.php?PhId=7731c2c430babbae0853b8b7747f35 d7

Rennsurfer
01-23-2008, 11:16 PM
My reverse lights don't work and I've checked the bulbs and the fuse. Is it a major deal to change the switch on the transmission? It's not that expensive, and I'm guessing it can't be that hard to replace... unless it's in a hard to reach location.

Any help on this? Thanks!